SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#341566 - 03/07/12 01:12 PM Diki comment...interesting, and true..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The thing is, even as low as Roland have fallen, unlike most other arranger manufacturers, they haven't forgotten that what perhaps the best of us want is a substitute for a REAL LIVE BAND...

Some others think we want a replacement for a CD, or karaoke system...

For all their faults (and I am willing to point them out as explicitly as any fanboy of another brand) they still stand head and shoulders above the rest in their ability to make instruments that sound LIVE... That litany of great arranger features above that Roland do not have is balanced by the fact that NONE of them (IMO) have anything NEAR as live a sound as the Roland's do.

So where do you place yourself? Features over sound? I have to place myself in the sound category, fully and squarely. Yes, I miss those other features VERY much. But, I confess, none of the others' 'sound' makes me willing to jump ship. I had a friend's PA3Xpro at my house for several weeks. Yes, it was a joy beyond belief being able to lay chord changes down quickly and then solo over the Chord Sequencer. But, apart from the few standout styles and sounds it had, it STILL didn't make me go 'I got to use one of these!' over my G70.

I would LOVE to see any and all of those missing featured in a modern Roland. Sadly, looking at the company's current direction, I doubt any of them ever will... But I guess, despite watching over the demise of my favorite arranger line, I have what was the zenith of Roland's arranger offerings... the G70. And so far. no matter what the others offer, it still beats them handily at sounding like a LIVE rhythm section. In the end, I guess that's all you can ask for... NOOOOOOOO!

I can ASK for a lot more! I just feel it's unlikely I'll get it!

So, after extensively A/B'ing the two best contenders for 'best live sounding arranger', despite the Korg's impressive list of 21st century features, I guess I remain squarely in Roland's camp. Doesn't mean I wouldn't LIKE some of the PA3X's features on a new Roland, but if they NEVER bring out something FAR more advanced to the G70, so far, no-one else has brought out anything categorically, undeniably superior. That is, if you are shooting for that 'live band' substitute.

There's a reason I have TWO G70's... I have a nasty feeling I fell in love with what MIGHT be Roland's greatest hurrah, and no other arranger manufacturer seems to be the slightest bit interested in what PRO'S (rather than 'home players') want in the way of a basic sound. I guess that's not the worst thing to happen to a guy! But I still feel betrayed by Roland. There are so many logical extensions to the best they produced, so many features from other arrangers that could ONLY improve and extend the legacy... but Roland seem determined to do this 'one step forward, two steps back' dance they have done for years in the Arranger Division.

If they ever woke up and took a long hard look around. my God! What an arranger they could make..! Take the BEST of what the G70/E80 had to offer, add the basic features of their competitors, and keep the live sound and styles that the pro finds easy to play along with, who could stand against them? From playing most of their competitors' arrangers against my G70, I would say none...

But will Roland find the strength and stamina to do this..? Sadly, from all evidence they have shown from the last five years or so, it appears not.

What a waste.

#341568 - 03/07/12 02:01 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I suppose many of us could be in the same position if Korg and Yamaha also stopped top range arranger production.

And, in all seriousness, I would be very content staying with my Tyros4, and with what I feel is Yamaha's best TOTL to date.

Is it perfect? Nope, but pretty darn close, in my opinion, and much like those who fell in love with the G-70, I am more than happy with my choice of arranger.

As it has been said many times on SZ, "if it meets your specific needs, who cares how old it is, or, who makes it."

And, as much as I tease you, Fran, about your "old" G-70, I do admire you for the fact that you have found, and stuck with, the instrument that best meets your needs.

I honestly would be very surprised to see another TOTL arranger from Roland, but, I suppose anything is possible.

Ian

#341572 - 03/07/12 03:23 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I hear you Fran, and agree with a lot of it, but nothing sounds more "live" than Audya, if that were the sole factor to consider. Which it isn't.
DonM

#341573 - 03/07/12 03:44 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
That litany of great arranger features above that Roland do not have is balanced by the fact that NONE of them (IMO) have anything NEAR as live a sound as the Roland's do.

You ARE kidding aren't you????

Don't forget you are talking here to a former G70 owner (who gigged with it extensively as well) and tweaked all the styles, and was running expansion cards, etc etc ....

I have direct first hand experience with the G70, the Yammies and the Korgs...The Roland is reasonable, Yamaha very ordinary, but the Korgs and Ketrons stand out a country mile!!!

You REALLY have to take of your rosy, antiquated OS, dinky sounding Roland glasses....

#341574 - 03/07/12 03:51 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

If Roland thought there was a market for an 'uber-G70' why would they not have introduced it by now? I think most of us know the answer to that one. There's obviously more profit in their other lines, hence the continuation of those.

The old saying goes: if there's no market, then create one. All very well, but the demographic to grab is the younger crowd who won't touch an arranger with a 10' pole because of the old fart connotation. And I'm sure that if Roland had figured out how to capture the youngsters, they would also have done that by now. Far easier to sell them a Fantom, etc., so why bother.

One thing's for sure. None of us knows what's up Roland's sleeve. Question is, how long can you hang on?

So love that G70 till you check out.

#341579 - 03/07/12 05:02 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
That litany of great arranger features above that Roland do not have is balanced by the fact that NONE of them (IMO) have anything NEAR as live a sound as the Roland's do.

You ARE kidding aren't you????

Don't forget you are talking here to a former G70 owner (who gigged with it extensively as well) and tweaked all the styles, and was running expansion cards, etc etc ....

I have direct first hand experience with the G70, the Yammies and the Korgs...The Roland is reasonable, Yamaha very ordinary, but the Korgs and Ketrons stand out a country mile!!!

You REALLY have to take of your rosy, antiquated OS, dinky sounding Roland glasses....

Dennis, you do know the title of this post....right?

These are not my comments, but a quote from Diki...so don't get in my face..without a just cause grin

BTW: I do agree more with Diki, than you.. smile

Most of what Diki said..I find true too.. wink

Don, the Audya does have some great drums , guitar, bass,etc....ease of use is a determining factor that the G70 rules..

Dennis your opinion and mine will have to differ when comparing Korg and Roland best offerings.. cool

#341580 - 03/07/12 05:27 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I wasn't getting in your face tbh, merely expressing incredulity at your statement - no face-getting there - and the comments I referenced are directly yours re live-sound, NOT Dikis...re-read your post...

Differing opinion is fine....I have no probs with that, do you? Seems you might if based on your many responses over the years whenever someone writes a contrary view about Rolands to the one you hold...

Mebbe not......but that's how it seems...

#341581 - 03/07/12 05:45 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Fran, even though your subject says Diki, it seems it's from you. We forget about your subject line.

Anyway...

TO DIKI: (I think I remember his post above!)

IMO, for live sound, the best is Audya. If they would lower their price and act like a normal marketing department, nobody would compare. Of course, I've said that a hundred times on here.

Roland is good, Korg is good. Audya is God.

#341582 - 03/07/12 05:53 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Fran is this a comment Diki made on another forum or is it something that has been dug up from the past?

I cant tell which part of the post is Diki's dialogue and which part(s) are yours?

Nick

#341583 - 03/07/12 05:59 PM Re: Diki comment...interesting, and true.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Nick, none of the original post were my words...I took this from Roland Arranger club..

Bill it was a current post from Diki today.....I do share his thoughts on many of his comments though..

Edited by Fran Carango (03/07/12 06:01 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online