SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#341257 - 03/01/12 11:31 PM AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review .....
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Hi again Audya Owners:

If you read my previous post, you'll know that Frank shipped me his Audya to use while I was going to have AJamsonic installed on mine.

I spent several day's going over every aspect of AJ's Package as it was already installed on Franks board.

I changed my mind about doing the install because I just wasn't thrilled with what I heard and many of the additions were things I just didn't need and probably wouldn't use.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't some pretty good stuff, because there was.

Some nice additions, including a few new Sax's, Trumpet & Muted Trumpet. Several of the solo instruments were styled similar to the Tyros. Some nice additions and changes in the Pad's & Synth voices also.

The revamped and a few new styles were OK. The balancing of these styles took away the Live Band feel and as I said in an earlier post, sounded more like a Tyros to me.

One would have to go through them all and re-balance the volume's if you prefer the Drums and Live Guitars to be out in front. This of course would be based on personal preference.

For those of you that use Midi files, AJ has installed a ton of them and most are pretty good quality. I seldom use them so this was not a plus for me.

A ton of MP3's installed also, great if you want to become an instant DJ. Also not a plus for me.

The sensitivity of the Harmonizer was tweaked and performed much better. I spent hours tweaking mine and got it set perfect for me. So another benefit of the package that was not a needed fix for me.

I can't comment on any repairs made to the Drums jumping time, I never experienced that problem with mine.

All in all, there just wasn't enough benefits for me to justify the cost involved.

My decision to not have AJ's package installed was based on personal preferences and I think each of you need to do your own analysis of the contents of AJ's offering.

I do commend AJ in his efforts devoted to correct some of Ketron's short comings.

Jim

#341260 - 03/02/12 12:43 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
Tony Hughes Offline

JIM,

There is nothing wrong with the styles that come with the Audya, I had an idea this is what you would do, not buy it and it's good you borrowed the KB from Frank I wish we could do that in the UK, we don't have a Frank, now just get on with playing your Audya. headphone

Jim, promise me no more dreaming.... juggle

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#341266 - 03/02/12 06:49 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
NiteLife Offline

Tony, I agree..........

Probably more than anything, I was hoping for a nice collection of NEW STYLES to have some fun with.

As mentioned on this forum many times, I would be great to have Robert put his talents to work and create an ongoing supply for us.

I think most will agree, Yamaha has many awesome styles. The sophistication in the arrangements are well thought out and produced, and new one's are continually made available for purchase and download.

Ketron is really missing the boat here. Yes, midi files are available by the thousands, but there is a big difference for the player, just playing a solo lead with them.

I'd much rather have the feeling and enjoyment of totally playing the song and picking different styles to create your own arrangement and feel for the song. Many times I'll set the tempo lock and change styles on the fly just to change up the song and have some new fun with it. I also like to take a song that maybe just has a straight 8 beat and change it to a Funk or Disco or R&B, change tempo's or key's....or whatever I'm inspired to do at the time. You CAN'T do that with a Midi or Karaoke file.....what these files do....is what you get......nothing more!

As far as Solo voicing, the Audya really shines in that department. The Brass and Sax section's are my favorite. The audience always turns and looks at me when I take off on a hot Trumpet or Sax solo.

Ketron put the " PUNCH " in these voicing's which really makes them jump out and grab you. I don't care about built in simplicity of the solo voice doing an automatic note up glissando, it's more fun to create that yourself on the fly within your performance.

My playing performances have jumped to a new high because the Audya inspires my creativity as a Keyboardist and a true lover of Orchestral Instruments. Not to mention a GREAT LIVE BAND sounding arrangement to back you all the way.

Thank you Ketron for bringing out the best in me as a Musician.

After " 40 Years " of playing professionally, I have REACHED the TOP OF MY GAME, thanks to the Audya inspiring me to achieve that level.

AJ, I'm sorry, it's very difficult to improve what already is the BEST!

Jim

#341267 - 03/02/12 07:26 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
Tony Hughes Offline

Jim,

No one could have put it any better, I agree with every word you have said, you keep on playing and enjoying your Audya and don't mess with it. You won't make it any better I can assure you.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#341311 - 03/03/12 01:54 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Tony

I got the impression you were down on the Audya, or is it just personal difficulties with yours ?

Bernie

#341312 - 03/03/12 02:02 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: Bernie9]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bernie,

No I don't have a problem with the Audya, but on the other hand I am not striving to mess about with it. I don't think you should be trying to add none Ketron bits onto an Audya, if you do you do so at your own peril, there will be no support from Ketron I can assure you. I still have mine I don't play it 1/10 of the T4 , when I turn it on I think why should I give it away, right at the moment in the UK they are bringing peanuts, I might just hang on the it. I am certainly not giving it away. Anyway Brenie you have a fistful of KBs big and small, which IYO is the best...

Hope you are keeping well, you look a lot younger on your new passport photo. No one ever passed comments on it, they are jealous that's why...heee heee

#341788 - 03/11/12 05:14 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
cakemog Offline

Jim - I too have left my Audya exactly as per factory new. Like Tony says 'don't mess with it'. HANG ON till May - on the quiet I have learnt about something INTERESTING and USEFUL coming out!! Can't say more for now but I think you will like it (more than AJAM & much cheaper)!!
Keep enjoying your original Audya - will post when I'm allowed to reveal. Carl

#341796 - 03/11/12 09:09 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: cakemog]
BobbyP Offline

Loc: Lanarkshire
You've most certainly got MY attention on this one smile

#341797 - 03/11/12 09:11 AM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: NiteLife]
NiteLife Offline

Hey Carl,

Sounds Good!

I have a little info also.....:)

We'll just sit tight and see what comes down the pike.

In the meantime, I continue to give my Audya an Incredible Workout. Performing pretty much 7 nights a week.

She takes a licking and keeps on ticking. smile

Jim

#341808 - 03/11/12 12:36 PM Re: AJAMSONIC.......Changed My Mind.......Review ..... [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Bernie,

No I don't have a problem with the Audya, but on the other hand I am not striving to mess about with it. I don't think you should be trying to add none Ketron bits onto an Audya, if you do you do so at your own peril, there will be no support from Ketron I can assure you. I still have mine I don't play it 1/10 of the T4 , when I turn it on I think why should I give it away, right at the moment in the UK they are bringing peanuts, I might just hang on the it. I am certainly not giving it away. Anyway Brenie you have a fistful of KBs big and small, which IYO is the best...

Hope you are keeping well, you look a lot younger on your new passport photo. No one ever passed comments on it, they are jealous that's why...heee heee

Hi Tony
I missed your post.

I am still 70 no matter what picture I use, but thanks.

I agree with you on not disturbing the Audya too much, why tempt fate ?

I sold my G70 and Kurzweill. Both excellent boards. The Kurweill has a big learning curve but great sound. The Roland was great but got a good price for it. My KN7000 is my favorite for ease of use, since I have had it 9 years. My KMA and Korg P60 are a pair, and have great potential for a live sounding, lightweight rig.

The Audya is my real favorite, and I am still learning it's features. For example, I didn't think the mic output had enough headroom and the sound was not as good as my Bose T1 mixer. I started rooting around and found all kinds of settings that brought it up to equal par. The overall sound is a killer, and the hidden features will only make it better when I unearth them.

Of course, I have too many ways to go and too many keyboards to be an expert at any, but I only gig three times a week, and I love variety.

If I had a T4, I am sure I would like that too.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online