SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#341067 - 02/28/12 07:23 PM Pa500 arrives, now to get to work...
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
...and do some tweaking. I suppose it's cause I'm spoiled by those Yammie sounds - but why can't Korg produce a decent sax? WOW are they bad on the 500. What's with that? Just about all the sax voices on the Pa500 have a "pinched squeak" timbre - that's the only way I can describe it - and attempting legato with them is next to impossible. Every note sounds tongued. I've even tried the legato setting in the sound menu, but that brings in some weird sound artifacts that are unacceptable.

Other than that, I have no complaints about the kbd. It's quite the board for the buck. (Now that I've ranted a bit, I will admit Korg finally got some of the saxes right on the Pa3x, and rightly so at 4x the price of the 500).

So, any editing tips to improve the tenor sax? I'd be grateful. Next step is to load and enjoy John Smies' data on the 'baby blue'. Report to follow.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#341120 - 02/29/12 05:32 PM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: CoasterTim]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
John Smies has made some great saxes.

I tried his resources on my PA 800 and one of the biggest outstanding highlights for me was the sax voices.

not sure how they will sound on the PA 500 - should be the same if not VERY similar to the PA800.

Nick

#341125 - 02/29/12 06:40 PM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: Nick G]
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Originally Posted By: Nick G

I tried his resources on my PA 800 and one of the biggest outstanding highlights for me was the sax voices.

not sure how they will sound on the PA 500 - should be the same if not VERY similar to the PA800.

Nick

Nick, I have his resources for the 500 but can't load them until I find a SD card that works. Ugh!

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#341132 - 02/29/12 07:48 PM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: CoasterTim]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: CoasterTim
Nick, I have his resources for the 500 but can't load them until I find a SD card that works. Ugh!

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread..._my_#Post341127

Now get back to work smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#341137 - 02/29/12 08:30 PM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: Nick G]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi Nick,
were they sampled voices or rom voices. PA500 as you're probably aware doesn't load samples.

Wouldn't advise loading PA800 resources in a PA500, could cause a problem.

http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa800_soft.html?en

If you're loading a Resources file it has to be for your specific instrument as it overwrites the Factory Data.

I would imagine John would have one specifically for pa500.

Originally Posted By: Nick G

Nick

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341157 - 03/01/12 12:43 AM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: CoasterTim]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Rikki, Tim,

I think it is high time to do away with the " do not load PA800 styles and/or sounds into the PA500 "......
It is absolutely NO problem to do so as long as you do not load the GLOBAL file into the PA500. But that goes for all PA models. And yes my 2012 software package includes both the BKP file ( which overwrites everything and as such also the globals) and the seperate files of each set.
Clearly the BKP file must never be loaded onto the another model.
But if you want to copy say all banks of styles, sounds and performances of my PA800 set into the PA500 there would be no problem.
Incidentally I have sets for both models and they were created differently.
Of course there is an "overlap " but each of them stands up in his own right.
And finally , regards the saxes on the PA800, no they were created with the sole use of the internal samples.

kind regards,
John Smies

P.S. see the other thread about your SD card problems Tim !

#341158 - 03/01/12 01:30 AM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi John
I did not say don't load Styles, I specifically said do not load Resources File for another instrument( as per warning on Korg Site.)Korg calls the bkp file musical Resources. http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa800_soft.html?en

Why on earth would I warn people not to load styles, when I've been sharing my personal user styles with PA500/PA800/PA2X owners for the last 3 to 4 years over on the Korg Forums.

Edited by rikkisbears (03/01/12 01:49 AM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341159 - 03/01/12 01:49 AM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

Hi Rikki,

You did mention Resources and that is correct. However again you emphasize STYLES here , whereas the purpose of my clarification was and is that you can also load sounds and most important of all Performances from the one into the other as long as you do not load the GLOBAL file. And as you point out correctly ( so did I by the way) a BKP file includes everything including the Globals so should only be applied with the PA model it has been designed for. But as I mentioned I always include copies of seperate files with all of my BKP files so that people can shop around and, most important of all, afterwards can intergrate elements of my resources into their own set ups.

kind regards,
John

#341160 - 03/01/12 02:16 AM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi John,
I have a link in my original post to the Korg Site to show exactly the type of of file I was referring to ie that you shouldn't load a resources file (bkp) from a different type of instrument.

The fact that you refer to your .bkp files, plus, by the sounds of things all of your other types of files , as your resources, just confuses things..

When see a reference to a resource file, I automatically assume it's a reference to a bkp file ( BACK UP FILE)

BTW you're the one who mentioned styles as one of the items that can be loaded into a PA500. I didn't bother referring to sounds or performences etc, because I don't bother sharing those.
Originally Posted By: john smies
Hi Rikki,

You did mention Resources and that is correct. However again you emphasize STYLES here , whereas the purpose of my clarification was and is that you can also load sounds and most important of all Performances from the one into the other as long as you do not load the GLOBAL file. And as you point out correctly ( so did I by the way) a BKP file includes everything including the Globals so should only be applied with the PA model it has been designed for. But as I mentioned I always include copies of seperate files with all of my BKP files so that people can shop around and, most important of all, afterwards can intergrate elements of my resources into their own set ups.

kind regards,
John

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341164 - 03/01/12 03:08 AM Re: Pa500 arrives, now to get to work... [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

Hi Rikki,

Why are you making this into a kind of contest ?
I am releasing my Micro Demos over the weekend and will also invite those who already use them to give their comments.
In my view too many people overvalue the number of styles they can have and too few treasure the value of good registrations/performances. Korg owners know full well the differences between a BKP file and the so-called All.set files, I presume.
So let's just leave it at that for now if that's okay with you ?!

smile smile smile
regards,
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online