SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#338748 - 02/05/12 01:58 AM Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha
cpia2002 Offline

Hey Guys,

This is my first post so first off hi there smile

I use the forum for a wealth of information , as a keen keyboard and piano player. I have a Yamaha DGX 640, having previously had a Tyros 2, which i had to sell when short of money.

As a fellow keen keyboard/piano player, i would just like to share with you my latest video i have made with me playing the Keyboard.

Because, i am not using backing or arranger function i am not sure if this video is in the right forum; However as a keen keyboard player i hope some of these riffs inspire and remind people of some great songs from the past 50 years.

Its 100 riffs that i thought were a good representation of keyboard music over the last 50 years or so (a couple a bit older wink ) and i had alot of fun recording it.

*****EDIT Because the video is nearly 30 minutes long, i have broken it down in to 10 smaller videos , much easier to watch when you want EDIT*******

Had to rush through them and it drifts out of sync a few times when i tried to put video and audio back together (not my forte ) but i am sure you will find a piano riff you like.

Hopefully you will enjoy listening to it too, and if there are any guys in here just starting out on keyboard / piano or who are looking for music for any of the songs played in the
vid, let me know and i will see if i can get it too you / help out.

Anyway back to reading some of the other posts smile

Paul

p.s Sorry if this is not in the correct forum, please feel free to move smile

#338756 - 02/05/12 05:49 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
Dnj Offline

First off WELCOME Paul to SZ..
Although I didn't recognize most of these songs,......
well done playing!!.. clap

btw... what is a "keen" keyboard/piano player? confused1

#338766 - 02/05/12 07:04 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Welcome Paul...Great job with your compilation!!!

I loved your "narration" while playing. lol

Where did you get all the Sheet music for these songs??? Did you just figure them out/transcribe them/ or did you just copy snippets from the original songs? I'd love to have some of them myself.

Also, you look like your in pain playing these songs, as I do when I play. I must remember to smile when I play and thus I'm passing along my self help tip to you!!!!

Great Job!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#338773 - 02/05/12 08:16 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny,

Maybe because most of it was not hits in the USA, I knew all of them. clap
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338774 - 02/05/12 08:17 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Paul...welcome aboard the good ship SZ...very nice playing and quite a variety as well.

Love the sound of the DGX...a friend of mine just bought one, after having a CVP-109, and he was totally impressed with the piano, and the action.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Ian

#338779 - 02/05/12 08:37 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny,

Maybe because most of it was not hits in the USA, I knew all of them. clap

Tony I do know some English songs as well... wink

Knees up Mother brown
Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree
Hokey Cokey

lol... for many years I performed for a large English Group that migrated here to the USA after the WWII they come yearly down the shore at the Grand Hotel...nice bunch lots of fun! cool2

#339250 - 02/10/12 03:11 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
cpia2002 Offline

Haha!

Cheers for your kind comments guys- Sorry not to get back to answer your questions sooner, but have been away smile

Glad you like the video - Alot of the hits were both side of the atlantic, but you are right, about probably being more "British Biased" as i am from the UK.

I decided to do the project as i was sick of playing the same ol songs over and over again. So i thought - what if i get 100 together so it will take me ages to play them all!

So i started making a list, checking out famous keyboard players, the best rock and pop bands and listening to Classic Rock and Pop stations - as well as listening to my kids music for some new songs smile

It turned in to such a mammoth project i wanted to record it to share with fellow musicians and music fans.

The laptop on the keyboard is recording the audio, while my smart phone does the video - then sycned back up (Unsuccesfully at points) . I also get cues from the laptop in terms of which song and setting is coming next.

The registrations are all saved on the DGX.

If any one wants any of the sheet music featured in the song, let me know and i will see if i have it smile Some i do, others i worked off ear

Cheers again and if you like it would appreciate you commenting, liking or subscribing, in the hope more see it laugh

PJ

#339254 - 02/10/12 05:05 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
zuki Offline

Very cool from a talented player. Great sense of humor! 5 stars!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#339258 - 02/10/12 05:37 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, that's impressive, you would be a hit at a piano bar! I hope to be able to play piano better... some day!

#339336 - 02/11/12 03:07 AM Re: Music quiz: 100 Rock / pop riffs video on Yamaha [Re: cpia2002]
cpia2002 Offline

Thanks for your kind words guys - and glad you enjoyed the video.

I guess its finding your niche as i know my limits, often will see some one more technically gifted than me and you will think "Wow! i wish i could play like that" but then you have to try and remember- i am good at what i like- but thats the hardest thing.

Musicians (including me ) seem to be always wanting to improve themselves - which is great for everyone else , but not so good for the individual whose going through it cause they are always thinking "I guess i could do ..." I know im guilty of that and in my experience a few others are.

I really do appreciate you guys taking the time to watch though- makes it worth while doing it smile

PJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online