SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#338373 - 02/01/12 05:41 AM Live entertainment in Chicago
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
My wife and I will be in Chicago late July early August 2012. We will be staying in the Palmer House Hilton Hotel on Monroe Street for 4 nights.
I would like to know about the entertainment in that area. Is there any good live jazz,rock bands,big bands or whatever
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Frank

Edited by Mockie (02/01/12 05:58 AM)

#338375 - 02/01/12 06:59 AM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Frank, one of my all-time favorite clubs in the world is Andy's in Chicago at 11 E. Hubbard...on the loop, right next to an excellent seafood (crab) restaurant.

It's within walking distance of the Hancock building. Prices are good, food (mainly Chicago-style pizza) is great, and the music is the best. Of course, I'm a "jazzer", and that's what you get at Andy's.

I went to Chicago twice a month for 10 years for my job, and Always went to Andy's. I saw people like George Benson and Coco Taylor just sitting in.

There is music at lunch, after work and late at night on week-ends. The crowd is an ecclectic mix of art students, music students, hippy's and some cool old beatnics.

Typical: in the bathroom, there is only one piece of graffiti, which says, "don't chew gum from this machine-tastes just like rubber".

It's actually a condomn machine.

The grand piano has no finish left, but is tuned and maintained regularly.

I spent many happy hours listening and playing that piano. Haven't been in about 10 years, since I got out of the corporate world, but really enjoyed my time there.

Think you will, too!

Russ

#338378 - 02/01/12 07:02 AM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Other than what you might get here, you may want to contact the concierge at the hotel BEFORE you get there ...
The Palmer House is a beautiful, old hotel ... Like NY and other great cities, Chicago has a lot to offer /visitors/tourists ... Just standing at the shore of Lake Michigan is an experience in itself ...Hope the weather is good - you will have a great time ...
This could start you on your way:
http://www.chicagojazz.com/clubs-and-restaurants.php

Have fun ...

#338380 - 02/01/12 07:23 AM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
Beakybird Offline

I recommend the architectural tour that takes you through the waterways. Unbelievable.

Also, you can rent bikes at different sites along the lake, and you can ride for miles taking in the beaches and skyline.

Good luck!

#338383 - 02/01/12 07:51 AM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
Mockie Offline

Thanks a lot guys for the info.

I have been in Chicago a few times before, mainly with my two married sisters, (who are settled in America since the late '50s) and their husbands. I fell in love with the city also Mc Donalds hamburgers, on my first trip to the US in 1975.
As my sisters live outside the city, we never really got a chance to have a good look at the city. Last time(2004) the 6 of us went on a cruise from Navy Pier, music and food on board, loved it. This time we are spending four nights in the city, hoping to get to know it a bit more, before heading for a week in Wisconsin with my family and friends. We are celebrating a big wedding anniversary.

Frank

#338395 - 02/01/12 09:01 AM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Years ago, I think it was 1971, I was in Chicago and stayed down town. I think it was the Palmer House, but not certain.
I was walking through the lobby and saw Johnny Rivers. I said hi and he said hi, and I asked what he was doing there. He told me he was playing in the lounge!
I cancelled whatever plans I had that evening and spent it listening to one of my all-time musical heroes instead!
DonM

#349496 - 08/21/12 03:25 PM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: captain Russ]
Mockie Offline

Hi Russ

Just got back from my stay in the Chicago area, a city I just love.

My wife and I went to Andy's Jazz Club last Friday.

Yes it is a classy place and we enjoyed a meal listening to a

nice quartet, piano, bass, drums and trumpet/flugal. There is

something very attractive about jazz and jazz clubs that appeal to me other

than music itself, they have a nice dark side to them that

appeals to me. Yeah I liked it a lot, had to leave before 9pm

to get a taxi and train to Bartlett 40 miles from city. Would

have liked to have stayed and listened to a 10 pce band

playing originals but they were not due on till 9.30 and we

would be cutting it tight to make the 10.40 train.

Anyway Russ, I enjoyed the night and yes I would recommend

the venue anytime.

Frank

#349499 - 08/21/12 03:45 PM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: Mockie]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Frank, so glad you got to go to Andys. Weird; I just decided to fly up next Sunday to enjoy a night at this modest but significant jazz venue.

Would have been GREAT if we could have gotten together.

Russ

#349502 - 08/21/12 03:57 PM Re: Live entertainment in Chicago [Re: captain Russ]
Mockie Offline

Thanks Russ

Maybe next time !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online