SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#338198 - 01/30/12 06:34 PM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Saswick]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
John I got a chance to load the first set (your resources)...and you did some nice work on them....I will try to check out the remaining sets over the next few days....

The first set I tried are song specific..this could be great if this is the preferred way to use styles...

My personal way to use an arranger..if I want song specific, I have sequences that work better for me...When I use arranger , I need/want generic styles that fit many tunes....and at that, I prefer to turn off the auto stuff...just play bass with drum patterns and a selected group of sounds (maybe 6 sounds)..

I am sure folks that have a Micro arranger can benefit from your resources...

BTW: John , how hard is it to make a set (160 performances), from all your collection (one at a time)....I am guessing it would not be too difficult, once you log the performances you want to add as a collection....This info may be helpful to owners considering your resources...

I will mention my final thoughts after I review the rest of your work...Again...nice job ..so far..

#338207 - 01/30/12 07:18 PM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Scottyee]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have John’s work for my Pa800. Coming from Technics I missed good big band styles; John’s converted Technics styles are flawless, my Pa 800 just went up a notch.

John C.

#338238 - 01/30/12 10:16 PM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
...perhaps we could hear what John's stuff would do, if you still have the microArranger (which you said you were keeping)?

Ian

Hey the best person to do that would be John. It shouldn't be up to someone else to spend the time doing it. Besides John is the one who knows best how to use his work to improve on the factory sounds. And of course he will be the one who benefits from convincing people.

#338252 - 01/31/12 12:20 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
...perhaps we could hear what John's stuff would do, if you still have the microArranger (which you said you were keeping)?

Ian

Hey the best person to do that would be John. It shouldn't be up to someone else to spend the time doing it. Besides John is the one who knows best how to use his work to improve on the factory sounds. And of course he will be the one who benefits from convincing people.

Nigel I agree 100%....I guess we'll have to wait and see...

#338254 - 01/31/12 12:30 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Nigel]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Good Morning to you all,

Nigel,

In my view you are both right and wrong. Right in as much that I could show folks how I used my Micro (= PA50) but I did so abundantly by recording TWO CDs in my livingroom during the years I played it and put some of those up on my youtube pages. Due to health reasons it is amazing in itself I keep appearing here at all ,but I do want to.
In so far you are wrong imho that demos don't say all that much cause they are very personal. Like Ian remarked " a good tweaker is not necessarily a good player, and vice versa " . I am definitely in the first category.

Nevertheless etc.etc.etc. I sent my COMPLETE works to Don ,Scott, Donny and Fran. (Bernie has already got part of it). I spent hours making a decent manual and they have that too. And I included my complete PA collection of styles. They should be busy sorting things out and evaluating for days if not weeks...........

As to a demo, the best I can do ( and that is telling) I will simply send you the two CDs I made with the Micro in my livingroom. I guess meanwhile there are over 100 copies worldwide that were always given away by me , it has nothing to do with money . I will send you an email to explain the contents.

Scott,
You are correct in that you did NOT ask for my software. For the rest of the story I do not see eye to eye with you but heck that is your prerogative. My view is that it is silly to stick to the factory presets, my view is that my programming adds significantly to what is in the box.
And , for the record, I have also included the complete factory presets in one file that I sent to all of you. In other words you can restore it within a minute !!

The Korg story is complex. If you are not used to Korg discipline it takes some doing but it is definitely worth the effort. As to Fran's question about composing a favourite set out of all of my Resources my answer is: yes it can be done . Sometimes it is quite easy sometimes it takes some doing. I will help those along who have or will have the Micro over the next few weeks in as much as I can.

I am now sending my two CDs to all of you and if there is anyone reading this who wants them as well , just mail me: pasounds@zeelandnet.nl

kind regards,
John Smies

P.S.
I am copying this to another thread as I feel it is not about the ultimate rig anymore but heavily concentrating on the merits and faults of the Korg Micro.

Edited by john smies (01/31/12 12:40 AM)

#338259 - 01/31/12 01:58 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Saswick]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know this shows my ignorance of the Korg OS. but isn't there a way of having both factory and John's Resources for live play ?

Maybe I have been spoiled by Technics, for one, that lets me store performances(registrations) on an SD card ready for instant retreival. Or, is it because the PA50SD didn't have those capabilities ?

John's work is very good(IMO), and I certainly would keep them if I had to choose, but why do I have to be so restricted ?

Edited by Bernie9 (01/31/12 02:02 AM)

#338260 - 01/31/12 02:38 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Bernie9]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Bernie,

see my response in the other thread.
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...ourc#Post338256

regards,
John

#338265 - 01/31/12 03:28 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Saswick]
Bernie9 Online   content

I agree with you, John. I have more than enough performances, being new to Korg.

Patience comes hard for me.
Bernie

#338266 - 01/31/12 03:39 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nigel

Ian

Of course you are correct Nigel. Since John would be the one benefiting most from convincing people that his resources are worth using, he should be doing the demos, not the clients.

Ian

#338272 - 01/31/12 07:19 AM Re: The ulitimate Micro Rig [Re: Saswick]
Bernie9 Online   content

Scott

I got my Micro after you did, so I am in the opposite position from you. I downloaded John's Resources first and immediately began to get my gig material together, although I did go through the factory styles first.

Eventhough I wanted it all available to me at first, the quality of John's work convinced me to go ahead with his first before I start tinkering with factory styles.

My own conclusion is that at some point in time you will be missing some great styles in not audtioning them at least.

Bernie

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online