SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#338030 - 01/29/12 10:35 PM Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good demo of some sounds and the live use of the chord sequencer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlYSJ-QDfw
There are also links to some other good demos by same guy.
DonM

#338036 - 01/29/12 11:44 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Don, this impressive Pa3x chord seq demo is just what i've been wanting for "so long" to finally see, as it beautifully demonstrates how, with the chord seq feature, you can easily rec a chord progression loop "on the fly" when performing in auto accomp mode, and then have the arranger follow the just recorded chord progression loop, allowing you to totally free your LH up to manipulate the controller wheels, and not have to struggle with trying to play LH chords at the same time .This allows for far more instrument expression when playing RH solos. I'm very impressed with the Pa3x sounds, styles, and beautiful design style and quality build , but personally, its this chord seq feature that sets the Pa3x a cut above all the rest of the other current TOTL arrangers. Don, thanks so much for posting that terrific demo. To both Don and Rikki,: Congratulations to both of you on your new Pa3x keyboard "Pride and Joy". - Scott smile

#338039 - 01/30/12 12:05 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Good demo of some sounds and the live use of the chord sequencer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlYSJ-QDfw
There are also links to some other good demos by same guy.
DonM

Don,

I don't think you will be selling this for a long while, it's a very nice finished product, its a winner, good luck with it Don.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#338042 - 01/30/12 01:34 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Very Impressive thanx Don !

#338065 - 01/30/12 08:00 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Has this thing blossomed, or what? Remember all the negative impressions and griping that went on when those first demos appeared and all the moaning and groaning about what a bunch of garbage this new board was? Oh my! What a difference a few months make. Go get 'em Korg!

All I've got to gripe about is how to get the $$ together. laugh

Edited by 124 (01/30/12 08:05 AM)

#338067 - 01/30/12 08:13 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: 124]
Bachus Offline

I just love chordsequencers,

12 chords and a transpose button and i am set for an evening of blues jamming

http://keyszone.boards.net

#338070 - 01/30/12 08:28 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

CS I have no need for , I never used it on my G1000 also....I rather play thru ...Yamaha better step it up FEATURE WISE on their next TOTL arrangers, players need more then just great sound. I hope we see some Tyros feature improvements soon....Ketron has kool features that use to love, Drum lock, bass lock, simultaneous mode play etc.....Roland has best D beam, sequencer & makeup tools, in the business...I'm hovering but my helicopter is slowly running out of gas! smile

#338071 - 01/30/12 08:33 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: 124]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: 124
Has this thing blossomed, or what? Remember all the negative impressions and griping that went on when those first demos appeared and all the moaning and groaning about what a bunch of garbage this new board was? Oh my! What a difference a few months make. Go get 'em Korg!

Hi 124,
I can't speak for others, but I for one have remained "consistent" in my initial impressions about the Pa3x. headphone

My only beef was how long shocked it took for Korg to finally release the Pa3x after it was initially announced. It was a difficult choice between upgrading to Tyros 4 or waiting, waiting, and waiting even longer for the Pa3x to finally only recently become available. My patience wore out. In the end, though I wish Yam Tyros 4 included a chord sequencer too, I'm very happy with Tyros 4, and because I realistically can't afford 2 TOTL Arrangers, thankful that Korg now offers the ultra-budget priced microARRANGER, which has allowed me to have both Yamaha and Korg (albeit older gen) sound sets for only a few pennies more than one TOTL. Having the microArranger/Pa50 Korg sound set now, has definitely intensified my desire in getting a Pa3x sooner than later. Korg knew what they were doing succesfully enticing me over with their $499 bargain. dancers

#338075 - 01/30/12 09:06 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: 124]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

What Scott said +

We were "griping" (I call it constructive criticism) smile about the quality (and quantity) of the videos and audios available, and at THAT time, they were awful. For most of us, this was the ONLY way to rate a keyboard, so based on the media available, the negative comments at that time were indeed warranted.

DonM thanks for the chord sequencer video link...very impressive.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#338095 - 01/30/12 11:28 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Yep, I'm saying the same thing as you guys. Early presentations were indeed pretty bad and got the reception they deserved. I'm just happy that things are going the way they are now.

#338096 - 01/30/12 11:31 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Yep, I'm saying the same thing as you guys. Early presentations were indeed pretty bad and got the reception they deserved. I'm just happy that things are going the way they are now.

Oh how I yearn for the old days when music stores had a keyboard pro room with every keyboard on the market set up... just make an appointment and sit down for a few hours and audition the models you were interested in before you buy..... frown I miss those days.

Edited by Dnj (01/30/12 11:42 AM)

#338098 - 01/30/12 11:35 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Yep, nothing like hands-on, Donny. I'm with you all the way on that one.

#338205 - 01/30/12 07:06 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Ahh yes, but as I recall, the Chord Sequencer is a "live" only tool.You cannot save the progressions.

It gets reset every-time you turn it off. Of course I may be mistaken, but that is my recollection of it.

By the time you get it set-up and inserted the chord progression you want, it is time to get to the next song!!

Maybe it would be okay for those who only do instrumental work, and NEED variation to make an entertaining performance, but if you have a few verses to sing too....it really is not needed.

That, and in operation, I found it was quite "awkward" using it playing at a gig....trying to start it, get it set-up, sing and make whatever other "on the fly" adjustments....

Okay if you want to do all the "pseudo-guitarist - pseudo-brass player bits" etc etc and play with the bender....

Nah, it was a fun toy and gimmick for the first hour or so...it rapidly declined from there. YMMV though. That is just my view.

Dennis

#338209 - 01/30/12 07:28 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks for the link Don,
gee that made the PA3X sound good.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338211 - 01/30/12 07:33 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: miden]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
WOW Miden...good to hear from you again!

Great point on chord progression, not very practical for live play as it takes some time to loop those chords as needed.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#338215 - 01/30/12 07:50 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: miden]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Ahh yes, but as I recall, the Chord Sequencer is a "live" only tool.You cannot save the progressions.

It gets reset every-time you turn it off. Of course I may be mistaken, but that is my recollection of it.

By the time you get it set-up and inserted the chord progression you want, it is time to get to the next song!!

Maybe it would be okay for those who only do instrumental work, and NEED variation to make an entertaining performance, but if you have a few verses to sing too....it really is not needed.

That, and in operation, I found it was quite "awkward" using it playing at a gig....trying to start it, get it set-up, sing and make whatever other "on the fly" adjustments....

Okay if you want to do all the "pseudo-guitarist - pseudo-brass player bits" etc etc and play with the bender....

Nah, it was a fun toy and gimmick for the first hour or so...it rapidly declined from there. YMMV though. That is just my view.

Dennis

I agree Miden.......I never used it on my G1000 either years ago don't miss it at all. But it's there for whoever needs it, you cant use all features on any keyboard just the ones you have a need for. smile On my S910 or any Yamaha arranger I never use the MFD but many players love it....go figure?

Edited by Dnj (01/30/12 07:55 PM)

#338217 - 01/30/12 08:07 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

If the shoe doesn't fit, you don't have to force your big ol' stinky foot into it. smile
I play 4-5 hours a night. Sometimes I feel like jammin', and there's not one to do it with but myself. Not unlike sex. But I digress. It's fun to use sometimes. Certainly not essential but another feature of the PA3X that I like.
DonM

#338218 - 01/30/12 08:13 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

I've never had a keyboard that had a CS, so I couldn't miss what I never had. Agreed, it would be of limited use to me. Just something that might be handy now and again.

#338221 - 01/30/12 08:28 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I often record a standard 8-bar progression and leave it in there unless I feel like changing it. It's amazing how many songs you can use it on.
I do wish you could store a few of them for use at any time. Of course you COULD do something like that simply by recording styles of the proper length, but I don't. Yet. I just had another brilliant idea.
I'm sure glad this is my last night off until Sunday.
DonM

#338225 - 01/30/12 08:36 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chord sequences are saved as chord sequences on the G1000..

The Chord seq was/is a great feature...anyone that knew how to use one (about 1 percent) ...knows how great it is...

I used it for writing songs for a fella...at $150 a pop...it took about 10 minutes..

#338227 - 01/30/12 08:43 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I THOUGHT I remembered you could do that on G800 Fran.
Maybe Korg can add it in a software update. Or maybe you can do it and I just don't know how.

#338240 - 01/30/12 10:23 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Don,
if you could afford to lose a fill or variation or 2, you could always use one of those style parts with your chord progression imbedded in style ie works like intro 1 where you don't play your own chords
Remember your fills can be up to 32 bars long , & they will loop if tapped twice.
The 2cv's in a fill versus up to 6cv's in a variation, wouldn't matter either because you won't be changing chord types.

Admittedly it might make it more song specific, but.

There's some very interesting stuff you can do with korg styles including having different time signatures for different style parts within the one style.
I often record a standard 8-bar progression and leave it in there unless I feel like changing it. It's amazing how many songs you can use it on.
I do wish you could store a few of them for use at any time. Of course you COULD do something like that simply by recording styles of the proper length, but I don't. Yet. I just had another brilliant idea.
I'm sure glad this is my last night off until Sunday.
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338247 - 01/30/12 11:26 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: lahawk]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk
WOW Miden...good to hear from you again!

Great point on chord progression, not very practical for live play as it takes some time to loop those chords as needed.

Thanks Larry smile

I do agree with Don, it is a fun thing to play with...If you know your average vocal key is for most songs, as Don would...you could probably have a preset prog lined up for each set....

Also agree that the style recorder is also another very viable option..

Record a simple style using one of the great styles on the PA3, but base it around a set chord progression, rather than ALL on C...say one for your typical blues/12 bar pattern...one for any number of 50s/60s R+R, some 1/5 patterns etc etc..then just load these up into their own fav folder, so whenever you want to play more authentic sax or guitar or other instrument that needs both hands, over the top you could.

Would take some setting up, but as with all of these once setup they are there forever smile

I was really disappointed in the CS for doing jazz tunes, as I wanted to be able to paly correct two-handed combo piano parts...too restrictive for that role, but I CAN see it working in other roles..

Dennis

#338248 - 01/30/12 11:27 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Great idea! I have to start experimenting with Style Creation and editing!
Don

#338249 - 01/31/12 12:06 AM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Thanks Don...and the Korg style record system gives you up to 32 bars per variation to use as well smile

Dennis

#338323 - 01/31/12 04:37 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Don,
if you ever want to do any really boring reading, style creation was discussed a fair bit over on the korg forums.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35422&highlight=styles

You might pick up some ideas on old posts, there's lots of em haahaa
Great idea! I have to start experimenting with Style Creation and editing!
Don

Edited by rikkisbears (01/31/12 04:38 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338328 - 01/31/12 05:10 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
you're out & about again.
Haven't seen you in ages.
Have you actually finished the tweaks for the Open Studio Live, Style library?

Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338334 - 01/31/12 06:02 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: rikkisbears]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Dennis,

Hi Rikki, right in the middle of working on the core OS and software with Rob and James. So not yet.

#338350 - 01/31/12 10:11 PM Re: Demo of PA3X chord sequencer and sounds [Re: miden]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
you're obviously a very busy man at the moment. All the best with your project.

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Dennis,

Hi Rikki, right in the middle of working on the core OS and software with Rob and James. So not yet.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online