SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#337794 - 01/28/12 02:13 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Kronos uses the STR 1 sound engine which is designed specifically to model plucked stringed instruments. (It was also on the OASIS)

You will find demos here http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=214 (Ckick on the STR 1 demo) and as you will hear; its flexibility is way beyond anything the T4 sample layer switching can ever hope to achieve.

The difference between the 2 being that you have to set up the Kronos yourself, whereas the T4 does everything for you, thus it is easier to sound great OOTB with a T4, but severely limiting when you want to make something your own.

That essentially is the difference between a Workstation and an Arranger.

Bill

#337798 - 01/28/12 03:01 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes, that's all true, Bill...and one of the reasons I chose Tyros4.

I'm very, very lazy, and I want my keyboard to sound super duper right away, straight out of the box. The Tyros4 delivers in spades!

I'm a player first, and a programmer/tweaker a distant second, although the Tyros4 gives me enough sound tweakabilty to keep this arranger player VERY happy!

Playing left hand chords and still being able to trigger nuances on my selected SA/SA2 right hand sounds is a dream on the Tyros4, which makes it such an expressive "live" instrument, again why it is my first choice of arrangers.

The difference for me would be...I could gig with the Tyros4 and a Kronos, or just a Tyros4, but not with just a Kronos...just not enough arranger capability for me, although the Karma engine does sound super.

Again, all my opinions.

Ian

#337803 - 01/28/12 04:16 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you read some of my posts, I have always said that a T4/Kronos combo would be one hell of a rig.

As to the T4 on its own, it’s one of the best Arrangers out there, however for me I find its capability’s to limiting. (I don’t play out live, so I am the opposite of you in that I am more a technical tweaker)

One thing that has always followed me through life though is the realistic reproduction of music, which is why my sound systems through the years have not been all in ones, but a careful match of components.

Bill

#337805 - 01/28/12 04:40 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: abacus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill, what are you using for a sound system; you made it sound so good.

John C.

#337806 - 01/28/12 05:33 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
The Kronos uses the STR 1 sound engine which is designed specifically to model plucked stringed instruments. (It was also on the OASIS)

You will find demos here http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=214 (Ckick on the STR 1 demo) and as you will hear; its flexibility is way beyond anything the T4 sample layer switching can ever hope to achieve.

The difference between the 2 being that you have to set up the Kronos yourself, whereas the T4 does everything for you, thus it is easier to sound great OOTB with a T4, but severely limiting when you want to make something your own.

That essentially is the difference between a Workstation and an Arranger.

Bill

Very Nice!! clap

#337812 - 01/28/12 06:13 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
can the Kronos sound like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxlk9fu1...JjxqW6jo6wBr-mm

I have actually played the Kronos. You will be hard pressed to find a decent guitar on it. My 8 year old PA1X has better guitars on it. I am not saying its a bad instrument. I am just saying technology does not replace talent

Did anyone tell you that on Kronos people don't use anything out of the box, but tweak it till it sounds just like you want it to sound, because thats what a synthesizer is all about. But then most people have been spoiled in the last decade by the great sounding Motif presets... Tough even Moitf allows you a lot of edditing depth.

Thats where most arrangers fall miles short, and even Korg PA series is trailing there.

In the era of sampleplayers, people just load a new sample to get the sound they want...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#337815 - 01/28/12 06:55 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
Stein67 Offline

Brilliant video. Amazing synth.

Kronos and Tyros 4........heaven!!

#337818 - 01/28/12 07:15 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Kronos is made for different stuff...it excels at what it is designed to do...be a powerful synth.

Arrangers are altogether different.

Ian

If you combined the T4 with the KRonos 88 in one instrument, you would get every composers dream....

Arranger and KARMA combined with the powerfull synth engine and the SA acoustic voices would allow for so much creativitty..

Arrangers allow for a lot of flexibillity when just jamming and improvising..

Sadly most arranger players only use their arrangers to copy the artistic performances of the real musicians.

Bachus, you sound in your posts like you know very much about synths, arrangers and their uses and players, and I always enjoy your views and opinions.

I would love to hear some of your own recorded work, on whatever instruments you are using presently (or had previously)...could you send me some of your work privately?

MP3 would be fine.

My email is in my profile, and you have my word that your work will be kept strictly confidential, and would never be shared elsewhere, or posted here or anywhere else.

I figure if your playing/user ability is anywhere close to your extraordinary knowledge of synths, arrangers and their ilk, I'm going to be in for a real treat.

Don't worry about genre...I have a completely varied taste in music so I'm very open to anything experimental or individualistic.

Thanks,

Ian

#337851 - 01/28/12 11:05 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

As long as my performance doesn't sound like this, i'll stick to composing and only playing for my own pleasure. Music is a hobby for me that makes me relax after a stressfull day at work. Does it really matter how good a player i am, as long as i am having fun?

http://soundcloud.com/mister088/jazz-kronos

http://keyszone.boards.net

#337855 - 01/28/12 11:21 AM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
As long as my performance doesn't sound like this, i'll stick to composing and only playing for my own pleasure. Music is a hobby for me that makes me relax after a stressfull day at work. Does it really matter how good a player i am, as long as i am having fun?

Thanks for your reply, Bachus.

Playing music does the same for me after a busy day, even if that day included playing music for professional reasons.

At home I get to play what I want...at work, it will depend on the job and/or audience.

I was just interested in what stuff you were doing and how you were accomplishing it...nothing more. You show a good deal of knowledge on what is pertinent in music today, and perhaps in the future.

We all have a message in our music...I just wanted to hear yours.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online