SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33718 - 10/16/08 02:23 PM Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
leezone Offline

is it me or is this way too expensive...

i mean , i know it's better than SD2 ($380) but is it twice as good?

bang for the buck, i would think SD2,

#33719 - 10/20/08 09:45 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Part of the price can probably be attributed to the sorry state of the U.S. dollar now.
Just a guess.
DonM

#33720 - 10/21/08 10:07 AM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Inside the SD4 you get basically TWO SD2 engines. Each separately addressable.

You also get control buttons and volume controls right on top of the SD4, making it arguably easier to use for someone who may not have a fully programmable MIDI controller with a lot of assignable buttons, knobs and faders. This feature of the SD4 may also be of use to players of instruments like Accordian with MIDI conversion, even guitar players to a certain extent.

I think the target for the SD4 are those who wish to use PC or Mac laptops and their corresponding programs, whether static MIDI sequences or Auto Accompaniment programs and be able to emulate the more expensive AutoAccompaniment keyboards and such.

One really neat thing about the SD4 I've found: I can now control the Rotary Speaker effect from the buttons on the top, whereas with the SD2 it requires being able to send some rather complicated Sysex commands that are not available on some MIDI controller keyboards and a bear to implement on some others.

You also get a USB connection on the SD4, along with the standard MIDI connects to two MIDI synths. (Two MIDI inputs, one for each of the internal synths/samplers and one MIDI output are available in standard DIN. The USB handles all, of course.)

If you don't need those aspects, the SD2 is there for you at half the cost.

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 10-21-2008).]
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33721 - 10/27/08 09:47 AM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I think its overpriced too, especialled compared
to the SonicCell, which in no way is comparable
to the SD4, its 2 worlds.

#33722 - 10/28/08 08:21 AM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
--Mac Offline

SonicCell would better be compared with the Ketron MidJay.

The SD4 does not have any audio file capability whatsoever, in fact they are two different machines with two different end uses.

IMO the MidJay beats the SonicCell and yes, I've had both here, SonicCell was returned, MidJay still here.

In other words, comparing SD4 to SonicCell does not allow for the same "common denominators" at all, two different machines with two different design purposes IMO.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33723 - 12/25/08 01:34 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
mac,
Is the MidJay+ have btter.more sounds than the SD2 or SD4?

I have heard SD2 has all the sounds???

I am looking for a unit to MIDI to my Korg PA2...for additional solo voices.

Thanks,
Lee

#33724 - 12/25/08 06:18 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
--Mac Offline

I don't have firsthand experience with the newer midjay+ so can't tell you, sorry.

--Mac

#33725 - 12/29/08 04:19 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
leeboy Offline

I would like to buy a SD4...but not at those prices...same sounds as SD2...just some external controls.

Not worth it to me.

If it comes down to $499. yes.

Lee

#33726 - 12/29/08 05:19 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
--Mac Offline

The thing is also the functional equivalent of TWO SD2's in one package, leeboy.

It is designed for a different purpose than the SD2 also.

--Mac

#33727 - 01/04/09 06:20 PM Re: Ketron SD4 Overpriced at $732
leeboy Offline

Mac,
Please explain what you mean by the equivilant of 2 SD2's inside a SD4?

2 sound engines?
More polyphony?
more MIDI channels?

Thanks,
Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online