SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#337131 - 01/23/12 04:12 AM Bose L1 Compact System
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi,
I'm considering buying a Bose L1 Compact system to use with my KN7000 and wondered if any Technics keyboard players have any experience of this system.
I know that Bernie uses a Bose system but I'm not sure which model he has..........

#337151 - 01/23/12 08:49 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Buy 2 of them and you wil be surprized,and if you dont like you sell them fore a little les.
(i wishi had them)
Heard them in a large place and sounding great (stereo)

Impuls

#337198 - 01/23/12 02:18 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill I have used the Bose Compact $995.00 for almost a year. I found no need for the larger unit. The Compact is not stereo – is very light --- can be used with three heights for the column. I love it; I am no longer searching for a better unit.

Two Channels:
1-Is for vocals ONLY. It has Bass and Treble and Volume controls.
2-Offers no bass or treble controls – It does offer a volume a mode switch if you are playing guitar – and an impute for an IPod or CD player.

Many of the Yamaha players want stereo – I find no need. There are highs from the column speakers and there is the sub for lows, but mid-range is a bit lacking. I have been using the EQ in my Pa800 to add mids. A mixer would be a good add-on. I did not buy the Bose mixer unit, it was half the price of the Compact.

My bottom line; When I plugged the Kn7000 into the Bose I could not believe the clarity. I was able to hear every little aspect of the Kn7000. A mixer would warm the sound if one desired.

My recommendation for would be to buy one with a return privilege. You will not be disappointed.

There is also a learning curve Bill. Where to place it? Deciding the amount output of the keyboard; I find that it makes a difference – and I am not talking about distortion. I do find that the volume does not change to a large degree from the front of a room to the rear of the room.

Hope this helps, John C.

#337200 - 01/23/12 03:03 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Look at this forum

http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7521050644

John about said it all, and I agree. I place my Compact to the side about a foot and a half and back about 6 inches.

I have the Compact and L1, but find I don't need to lug the big one. It stays in my studio hooked up to all my other keyboards and mixers.

The "Gain Staging" is important and covered in the manual and forum to greater detail.

I would sure get it.

Bernie

ps
The only venue that the Compact might be deficient in is heavy metal where people are used to driving bass going through them.

#337205 - 01/23/12 03:32 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks John and Bernie smile I appreciate your input and respect your opinions. I'll certainly have a look around that forum Bernie - thanks for the Heads-Up......

In the past, I have tried a few so called 'Keyboard Amp/speaker' systems but so far, I've been disappointed with the sound. When the KN7000 internal speakers are turned off, the sound from external systems just did not do justice to the KN.

Last weekend, I heard a solo vocalist who played guitar and also used backing tracks on a Mini-Disk player. He was using a Bose system which was not unlike the L1 Compact system. I believe it was the L1 Model I Single bass package, but I can't quite justify the cost of that particular system..... hence my question about the Compact system. Current price in UK for the Compact system is £899 (US$1400) whereas the more 'upmarket' system is £1745 (US$2715)

#337206 - 01/23/12 03:33 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Impuls]
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for your comment Impuls but I think 1 system will be sufficient for my needs smile

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#337234 - 01/24/12 01:35 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Most keyboard sample's are made fore stereo output,1 compact dont work for me ,it missed so much depth and realism.
But with 2 of them you dont believe youre ears .
The small alternative i prefer > http://hkaudio.com/us/index.php5

Impuls

#337304 - 01/24/12 04:05 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill, I don’t know how this is going to help you being on the
other side of the pond???

At Guitar Center the Bose Compact is selling for $999.00 and they are offering a discount of $150 for any single purchase over $775.00; that’s a price of $849 for a Bose Compact.

John C.

#337365 - 01/25/12 03:50 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: bruno123]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi John,
I did see that price (US$999) during my initial internet search. However, after paying shipping, UK Customs import tax and UK Value Added Tax (VAT) at 20%, I would not really be any better off - even with the additional discount of $150 .....
Thanks for you interest smile

#339369 - 02/11/12 09:22 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact System [Re: Bill Norrie]
Bill Norrie Offline

I took the plunge and bought the Bose Compact system and generally, I am very pleased with the results smile The clarity of sound from the system is exceptional and the available volume is more than adequate, for the types of gigs at which I play.

I spent quite a bit of time doing comparisons between the sounds from the KN7000 alone, and the Bose system (with the KN7000 audio muted) and as John mentioned, I felt that the mid-range was just lacking slightly. The bass was smooth and full bodied and the treble really clean and crisp but there was just 'that something' - 'Warmth' - missing from the Bose system, when compared with the sound from the KN7000.

I experimented with the KN7000's own EQ system but that did not really provide a solution. When I play at gigs, I like to keep the KN7000's own sound system active, even though I may be using an external amplifier. Ideally, I want the external system to sound the same as - or better than (LOL) the KN7000's system. The problem with using the internal EQ system is that it also alters the KN7000's sound (as expected) but this is not what I was trying to achieve. I am quite happy with the sound from the KN7000, without any EQ modification and only wished to add some EQ to the Bose system. So, it seemed that the solution was to insert an external EQ module between the KN7000 and the Bose system.

I did consider the Bose T1 ToneMatch Audio Mixer, but thought it was a bit 'over the top' for my application, and at US $500 just too expensive......
So, I bought a Behringer EQ700 7 Band Graphic Equalizer (£21 / US $33), which is in the form of a foot-pedal, and with just slight adjustments to the mid range, it has made all the difference to the 'warmth' of the sound from the Bose system........
So, I am now one Happy Bunny smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online