SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#336797 - 01/20/12 11:24 AM OT: ... PC problem or electrical problem???
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A couple of nights ago I was watching tv and my wife was on the pc ... I saw a small 'blip' on the tv screen but it did not lose power .. however the pc shut down ... I have the pc plugged into a surge protector power bar that has a 'circuit breaker type' feature ... I had to reset that breaker on the power bar to get the pc up and running ... when it powered up I heard what sounded like 'static' coming through the pc speakers ...
Today, my wife went to do something on the pc and found that it was totally powered down .. I checked that same 'circuit breaker' switch and had to reset it ... once again, as the pc powered up I heard that static-like sound ...it is quite prevelant at first, but then quiets down ...
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
thnx,

#336799 - 01/20/12 11:30 AM Re: OT: ... PC problem or electrical problem??? [Re: tony mads usa]
Tony Hughes Offline

Tony

Sounds like your pc power supply is on it's way out, the sound might be arcing, I would make backups of all you have got, fast if you can. If it's tripping the MCB then its sound like it's on the mains side. You need to blow PCs out now and again to get the dust out, this causes overheating.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#336802 - 01/20/12 11:41 AM Re: OT: ... PC problem or electrical problem??? [Re: Tony Hughes]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
thnx Tony ...
I just tried running a long high grade extension cord from another outlet and got the same static but not to the same degree ... looks like it might be replacement time ...

#336808 - 01/20/12 12:13 PM Re: OT: ... PC problem or electrical problem??? [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

When a circuit breaker blows it's because of an overload. That overload could be caused by a short circuit, or just too many items on that particular line. Sounds to me like your PC is going to be taking a dirt nap pretty soon.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online