SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3367 - 10/13/04 08:19 AM Help Deciding On New Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am new to this forum. There has been a lot of useful info here. I need help deciding on an arranger keyboard. I currently have an ancient Yamaha PSR-510 (don't laugh, this is the keyboard I learned to play on). I have around $1500.00
to spend. I was convinced the PSR3000 would be the one I wanted but when I went to the music store to try it out I was disappointed
with the piano sound (actually it sounded like my old keyboard to me) I went back home and searched the internet for other keyboards. The TYROS and the PSR9000 made me ache for it but there is no way I am going to pay that much for a keyboard. My question is, would it be better to find a USED keyboard a couple of models ahead of the PSR3000 for around 1500.00? What about the Roland G1000 keyboards? I see a lot of those on EBay for 600/800 dollars. One more question>>>> Could I just keep the keyboard I have and buy a nice tone module. It seems like that would work too!!! The more I look the more confused I get!!! To sum it up I guess my overall question is......if you had $1500.00 and the PSR3000 is the least quality keyboard you would accept......what kind of USED keyboard would you get? The second part is......would a nice tone module with my current keyboard (PSR510) be an option you would be happy with?

#3368 - 10/13/04 09:27 AM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.

#3369 - 10/13/04 09:53 AM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
MrEd Offline

Hello.
I'm kind of new here too (as a member) but have been around much longer as an observer, long enough to know that you've come to a good place for help and info on the questions and concerns that you have.

Look in the 'Wanted to buy and sell' section, just 3 links below where you posted.
I think you will find a variety of boards that will have the features and are within the budget you have set.

And Ed (3351) provided the link to many related topics that have benn discussed and debated.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Ed

#3370 - 10/13/04 08:17 PM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Grand I.,
Are you wanting to stay with an "arranger" type, that is to say auto-accompaniment, keyboard?
DVJ

#3371 - 10/14/04 07:23 AM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, deatonent I think that is the type because I use it to compose songs (I'm not a very good player). I've read tons of stuff on here that is helpful but here is another example of what my question really is.....If I could get a used Tyros for 1500.00 would that be better than bying a new PSR3000? What about the PSR8000? I saw one on those go for 800.00. Can you name any keyboards that come to mind that you would buy used for $1500.00 over a new PSR3000?

#3372 - 10/14/04 08:49 PM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
G.I.,
If you visit the General Arranger Keyboard Forum as suggested by 3351 you'll find a wealth of great info on your topic. However, It can also be very confusing. In fact I've never had an arranger keyboard that I really "loved". I've had a Roland G1000, Ketron/Solton X1, Roland RA50 & RA 90 (modules), Yamaha PSR2100, PSR3000, and PSR9000 PRO. I can't say that I really liked any of them. I still have the 9000 Pro. Mostly because It's been hard to sell and it has most of the features that any or all of the others had. Also, I expanded the ram and added a hard drive so I could utilize the sample playback function. Hey, that might be a possibility for you. In fact I saw one advertised a few days ago for around $1250.00 (I think).
Deaton

#3373 - 10/24/04 07:50 AM Re: Help Deciding On New Keyboard
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi grand illusion,i,m in the same situation as you ,i want to buy a new board and thinking of going for the psr3000,out of the box they are dissapointing until you make the eq adjustments,this subject has come up so many times and if you read past queries and eq settings at psrtutorial.com you will notice other peoples response when they made the alterations,mike

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online