Rebecca Eaddy
Marketing Communications Manager
Roland Corporation U.S.
(323) 890-3718
Rebecca.Eaddy@RolandUS.com

ROLAND RELEASES FIRST BACKING KEYBOARD
BK-5 Offers New Range of Keyboard Applications
Los Angeles, CA, January 19, 2012 — Roland is proud to announce the release of
its very first backing keyboard, the BK-5, the latest in a series of Roland musical
instruments with intelligent backing-track technology. Hundreds of great music,
rhythms, and tones from around the world are available at the touch of a button. With
exceptional sound quality, a comfortable user interface, and seemingly endless
accompaniment possibilities, the new BK-5 is perfect for one-man bands, hobbyists,
beginners, and professional entertainers.
The distinguished sound and music rhythm quality of the new BK-5 is derived from
the BK-7m, Roland’s world-class “band in a briefcase” backing module. Song and
rhythm makeup tools for standard MIDI files and rhythms are also offered along with
a second drum track for rhythms and SMF.
Music assistants and rhythms included in the new BK-5 backing keyboard cover a
variety of musical genres and are compatible with BK-7m/E-series/G-series/V-series.
Other features include 128 polyphony, over 1150 sounds, 60 drum kits, song
playback, recorder, rhythm composer, video output, and audio input.
USB memory allows for easy audio recording and hosts an embedded rhythm
composer lending to both performance and training applications. Backing music
(rhythm, SMF, MP3, WAV) can be pulled directly from USB memory as well.
Audio in and video out make it possible for a wide range of performance and
entertainment options. Video out also lets the performer enjoy SMF/MP3 lyrics with
friends or the audience on an external screen.
The BK-5 will be available in February 2012. MSRP on the BK-5 is $1,199. For more
information, visit www.RolandConnect.com.
---------
About Roland

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#336608 - 01/19/12 04:57 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
There is a picture of the new BK-5 on this page.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/keyboard-arranger/roland/bk-5/news/a.play,n.12523.html

Looks pretty darn cool...and it has 61 normal sized keys!

Bravo,

Ian

#336609 - 01/19/12 05:02 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
You got the scoop!

Backing keyboard is an ingenious descriptive term. They will sell some to non-arranger players because of that.

Hmmm... I saw the pic on the page Ian posted... very uncluttered layout, BUT, not a whole lot of buttons to help you get around easily. That must be a touchscreen.

The writeup doesn't mention speakers but it has them.

#336612 - 01/19/12 05:37 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
124 Offline

If that is a touch screen, it looks a bit on the small side. Depends on how cluttered or uncluttered it is, I suppose. Not very conducive to jabbing a quick finger, as is often required.

#336614 - 01/19/12 05:53 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: 124]
Bachus Offline

http://www.namm.org/files/presskits/WN12/RolandNAMM2012VirtualPressKit.pdf

This is the rest of the Roland news. Obviously no new TOTL arranger or Workstation.

Tough the AT900 top of the line organ got a platinum update.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#336617 - 01/19/12 06:07 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

No surprise there Fran told me about this months ago.. cool2

Roland made a great move with this offering of the module & keyboard & will sell thousands of these units we already know it sounds very good as BK7m users love it... can't wait to get my hands on one soon. clap

#336618 - 01/19/12 06:10 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
It seems like an affordable quality backing instrument. From the image, it doesn`t look like a touchscreen display. From the design, it looks like Roland have a Microarranger competitor here. They could have squeezed the vocal harmony in there too. Eager to know what they have to offer for the higher end arrangers. Any news about other new arrangers ?

Auron Music

#336626 - 01/19/12 06:52 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: Jez]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Jez
It seems like an affordable quality backing instrument. From the image, it doesn`t look like a touchscreen display. From the design, it looks like Roland have a Microarranger competitor here. They could have squeezed the vocal harmony in there too. Eager to know what they have to offer for the higher end arrangers. Any news about other new arrangers ?

At only 1199.00 or so everyone will have one ...lol

Heres an idea of the styles...probably be the same on the BK5 also..

Edited by Dnj (01/19/12 07:13 AM)

#336631 - 01/19/12 07:24 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: Dnj]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
The street price would be even lesser.. those considering a micro would think about this one as well.
Seriously, I think its a good deal looking at the info available now. But then, by the time its availble for a try out in this part of the world(India) it could be another six months which would be enough time for Yamaha to launch their new arrangers and the decision cycle continues !!! smile

Auron Music

#336635 - 01/19/12 07:54 AM Re: Roland Announces new Bk-5 Backing Keyboard [Re: kbrkr]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Roland had a good package with the Prelude and the BK-5 seems to follow in that stream. I doubt they have plans to go bigger or better. $999 will catch a lot buyers, so there will be no need to make a TOTL for the meager $4000 crowd. Unfortunately, I believe their is a $2000 market out there for a Roland with vocal harmony and a few more live buttons. My s910 is still the best under $2000 keyboard out there. The $499 KMA is a different board altogether. I'm sure I'm prejudiced, but I see MOTL $2000+/- as the sweet spot in the marketplace.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online