SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#33635 - 07/31/08 08:45 AM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:

Want to know the polyphony, or any other simple info that is 'need to know' stuff? You won't find it in the SD2 manual. You have to find it in the SD5's manual.

That's a good tip, one that I found out myself a few weeks ago, but it really isn't all that helpful here. There are also key differences between SD2 commands and SD5 commands, check out the drawbars for one thing.

Another thing is that the same SYSEX command is needed to change the effect to Rotary before you can use the CC comand for Fast, Slow or Stop. Easy as pie when using a sequencer program from a computer, not so easy when wishing to turn the rotor on and off from the average MIDI controller keyboard.

Quote:
I believe this unit was designed for the desktop musician and not really for the working live musician attempting to control it via a keyboard.[/B]

Undoubtedly, even the picture shows it hooked up to a laptop.

Still, even considering that, I've been using it in Live Gig situations (with live band, not as autoaccompaniment) to great results, considering.

Got another Keystation Pro 88 here now, and found out that it cannot send the Sysex string needed to fire the rotating speaker in the SD2 either. Not a kill IMO. Everything else in the SD2 sounds so good and the price is RIGHT. Still a great way to upgrade the sound of some of these keyboards I've got that are still quite functional but contain dated sounding samples in them.

Gave up on the tonewheel organ and leslie aspects of the thing, am resigned that the NI B4 is still what I shall use on those gigs. Was hoping to get away from the laptop, but what the hey.

Still a good point on that SD5 manual, the real hardhead Midiots should definitely download it and use it to find out more about the SD2.

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 07-31-2008).]
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33636 - 12/23/09 10:08 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
dj double-t Offline

I just got a VMK-176+ to go with my Ketron SD2 and I find it to be a dream set-up for both for ~$1000 total. One thing that helps me is that I also have a Behringer B-Control Nano BCN44 controller that can do the Sysex messages (like "turn on the Leslie Effect"). I'd recommend it as a cheap way to do that kind of stuff. I got mine for ~$45. It is also handy for changing sounds, banks, etc. I even use it to give me 2 sounds at once (piano and strings or whatever).

The B-control fits nicely on the left side of the keyboard while the SD-2 sits nicely on the right.

Thanks for forging the way ahead on setting up the drawbar organ with Leslie.

------------------
-TT

#33637 - 02/18/10 09:06 AM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hi,

There is a software who can give you access of 100% of your SD2 module.

-Nice drawbars presets included
-all FXs including Rotors can be changed easily
-all functions are EASILY midi controlable
-autoacompagnment feature (plays natively all ketron PAT)
http://www.varranger.fr

Dan

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online