SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#336131 - 01/13/12 09:57 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, I don't have one now. Once I bought one from Hank B and tried it for a couple of weeks and traded it back to him. Another time, Gary sent me one to try and I gave it another go. Again, I determined it wasn't for me.
I actually got used to not worrying about the proximity effect because it sounded good. I think it's more of a hassle to plug the extra stuff in and wear the head set and either use a battery pack or run a wire from the mic or transmitter, than to just plug in a traditional mic. Also, I can control the dynamics a little better with a standard mic.
But then, I have turned off most of the automatic vocal settings on the PA3X, such as compression, gate and auto processing, at least for now. I seem to get a better sound using the old method of e.q., but maybe it's just what I'm used to hearing.
I have spent a LOT of time today working on mic settings. Not sure if I'm there, and won't really know until I get on a real job next week.
Try a Crown. You'll either love it or not!
DonM

#336266 - 01/15/12 09:11 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Don, thanks for the informative followup.
BBB, thanks for info about your headset mic & keyboard setup too.

In my quest to possibly add a headset mic to my rig,
I'm also considering getting a small portable
vocal effect/harmony unit to be used with my microARRANGER as well.

so...

I've just discovered that Roland's VP-7 Voice Processor actually includes a headset microphone (the Roland DR-HS5) too. smile
Does anyone own or have any experience with either the VP-7 or DR-HS5?

I'm particularly attracted to the Roland VP-7 because it's so compact & simple to operate.
It doesn't include the bells and whistles of the TC Helicon VoiceLive processors like 'audio looping' + other perks,
but I simply need nice sounding vocal reverb and basic yet realisitic sounding duo/trio vocal backup harmony voices.
The VP-7 looks most compact & lightweight, and while the TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch can be positioned at eye level too, it's quite a bit larger & heavier.

I'm really interested in finding out how the VP-7's 'vocal harmony sound quality' compares with the TC Helicon, esp the VoiceLive Touch.
Does anyone here own, or have auditioned, or better yet, compared the sound of these two units?

I'm anxious to learn if either Roland or TC Helicon will be announcing new model followups to the VP-7 or VoiceLive Touch respectively.
In the meantime, any and all feedback from others here is much appreciated.

Scott smile

here's a pic I found on the internet of the Roland VP-7 perched on the Korg microARRANGER's included music rack. cool

Attachments
VP-7 + microArranger.jpg

#336297 - 01/16/12 09:17 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

You can't go wrong with Harmony M!
DonM

#336302 - 01/16/12 09:57 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
You can't go wrong with Harmony M!
DonM

Yes, after reading reviews about the Harmony M
as well as realizing Gary Diamond recommends that model too,
I'm leaning more towards getting the TC Helicon Harmony M instead of the Roland VP-7 now,
esp realizing the lowest VP-7 street price is $549 vs. $220 for the 'M'.
Even though the VP-7 also includes a headset mic, it's a dynamic mic not condenser.

It appears now the best hi quality way to go may be a Crown 311A condenser headset mic + TC Helicon Harmony M.
Because the Harmony M output vol. level appears to be fixed,
to adjust the mic volume input into the microARRANGER's stereo 'line in' jack may require a small 'inline volume control' device.
Can anyone recommend a suitable one? Thanks. - Scott

#336307 - 01/16/12 10:44 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just got off the telephone with Scott and I'll be checking the input questions he posed while at a job this evening. I believe the input volume of the Harmony-M will have an impact on the overall output voltage, but I'm not quite sure. I'll post an update tomorrow morning.

As for an inline amp, Radio Shack sells a 3-channel Headphone Volume Booster that does a pretty good job. I think I paid about $29 for one five or six years ago. They now have something SIMILAR

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#336310 - 01/16/12 10:59 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

On the Harymony M, there is room on the input control, between no signal and overdrive, for some effect on the output.
DonM

#336315 - 01/16/12 11:32 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Don, good to hear there's room on the Harmony M's input control to effect its output level.
Gary's test will be from Harmony M unit to keyboard fixed line in (aux inputs), to determine whether there's enough input adjustment on the Harm.M to get the mic volume heard thru the keyboard's onboard speakers ranging from off to soft, as well as all the way up to 'significantly louder' than the relative volume of the auto accomp & live keyboard parts.
This would avoid needing to add an "in-line volume control/amplifer" such as the one Gary gave the link to.
Gary, I'm looking forward to your findings. smile

#336409 - 01/17/12 01:54 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK, I tried connecting the Harmony-M output into the PSR-3000's auxiliary/line-level input and even with the Harmony-M's volume turned up there just was not sufficient power.

Now, it is well known that the Auxiliary Input of the PSR-3000 requires a fairly hot signal, so I'm not sure if this test will apply to the Korg Micro's line-in. It may be different and work just fine. When I do Thursday night's job I'll connect the interface, line-amp from Radio Shack and see if this makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#336477 - 01/18/12 08:13 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Saswick]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have been using a Shure WH20XLR headset for years and love it. Just FYI

#336826 - 01/20/12 03:43 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: DanO1]
Dnj Offline

[url=]http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=98&catid=10[/url]

Anyone using this model Mic...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online