Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic"

Posted by: Scottyee

Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 12:00 AM

What brand and model hands free style vocal headset microphone do people here recommend ?

I plan to use it for my vocals (singing):

1) connecting directly into my Tyros 4 keyboard's 1/4"/XLR mic input jack on the back of the keyboard, or

2) into the 1/4" input on my Alesis NanoVerb, and in turn connected to my microARRANGER via the keyboard's "line input" jack.

Would you recommend:
Wired or wireless?
Condenser or Dynamic?

Is the Crown CM311A still the recommended vocal headset mic to get?
I notice that several members had bought that one but then later sold theirs.

Thanks in advance for sharing your hands-free headset mic experiences, as well as headset mic purchasing advice and recommendations.

Thanks,

Scott smile
Posted by: Saswick

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 12:20 AM

Hi Scott

I just purchased a Shure WH20XLR headset, still in the tryout period, up to now it seems fine, 1st Gig next week, will let you know how it performs live.

Col

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 06:42 AM

hi Col, I'm Looking forward to hearing how the Shure WH20XLR sounds and works out for you live on stage.
It certainly is a lot more affordable smile than the Crown CM311A.

My main concern has always been the issue of a headset mic's "fixed proximity" to your mouth,
and the challenge of recreating the trad mic effect of "pulling away" from or coming in close to "kissing" the mic.
Do you lose these effects altogether with a headset mic or are there specific headset mic workaround techiniques to recreate it?
I also assume that headset mics all include a convenient remote mute switch switch for when you need to cough or clear your throat. cry

Scott
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 07:37 AM

I still use the Crown CM311A, I have three of them, use them nearly every day of the week for years and they still work fantastic.

As for the pull-away effect, most of the folks I see using this technique pull the mic away when they're struggling to hit a high note that is well out of their range. One of the first things I learned from my college vocal instructor was to not sing songs that were out of my range, thus not a problem for me. Now, you can, with vocal control, create that pull away illusion, but it does take a bit of practice and isn't something that instantly happens.

I've tried several headset mics during the past decade, and thus far, nothing has been remotely close to the CM-311A. I've tried two Shure mics, an EV, and three Countryman models, which cost far more than the Crown CM-311A.

I did make some modifications to the Crown in that I spray painted the mic boom and wind screen(s) flesh colored so they would not be as noticeable while performing. The small profile mics, such as the Countryman E6, were nearly invisible, but they were more suited for someone providing a speaking seminar than a singer with a deep, soft voice. And, unless you tuned down the mid and higher EQs the E6 tended to have feedback problems.

Scott, I you wish, I'll be happy to loan you one of my backup Crowns for a couple weeks so you can try before you buy. The mic has become so popular that it rarely goes on sale now and at most places sells for more than $300. When I purchased two of mine they were $199, but that was several years ago.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Scott ...I'll be happy to loan you one of my backup Crowns for a couple weeks so you can try before you buy.

hi Gar, smile
Many thanks for that generous offer. I'll keep that in mind,
but I may soon possibly have access to one here locally to try out.
- Scott
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 01:57 PM

Scott

I have a Sennheiser EW100 G2 with an M3 headset mic that sold for $499 a couple of years ago. This a top of the line system that has served me well. I just bought a Sennheiser G3 system with a handheld.

I am willing to let it go within reason.

Bernie
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 03:20 PM

I'm still very happy with the Crown CM311A. I notice that it has gone up in price. Anyway, if you can ever A/B the CM311A with the Shure mic, I'd like to hear your opinion.
Posted by: deatonent

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 04:20 PM

Hey Scott,
I too have been wondering about the proximity effect and/or excessive volume swings when using a head worn microphone. Could the compression/limiting settings in our Tyros instruments be of any help in this matter?
Thanks,
DVJ
Posted by: DonM

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 04:28 PM

There is built-in compression-limited in the Crown. I tried it on a couple of occasions, and it sounds great. I found it a little uncomfortable, and after 50 years of doing it the other way, it was hard to learn a "new trick".
DonM

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 08:39 PM

Bernie, thanks for the nice offer, but before even considering it I still need to determine if a headset style mic will work for me or not, esp in addressing my mic proximity effect concerns. Like Deaton, I too am interested to know if the compressor/limitor feature on our Yam Tyros keyboard would address this or not, but I generally avoid using it because of the artifacts it might add.

Originally Posted By: DonM
There is built-in compression-limited in the Crown. I tried it on a couple of occasions, and it sounds great. I found it a little uncomfortable, and after 50 years of doing it the other way, it was hard to learn a "new trick".
DonM

Though it's not 50 years yet, attempting to teach this slightly less old dog new mic tricks is something that concerns me too. Don, assuming you're referring to the Crown CM311A, can you elaborate about the uncomfortable feeling when performing with it, or any other headset mic? Does the compression-limitor in the Crown work with or against you in attempting to achieve that 'close up to the mic' vs. pulling away from a trad mic sound? Are you using the Crown headset regularly or have you gone back to your tradition mic? Considering you the senior respected vocalist here, I value your guidance, wisdom, and honesty on this subject. smile

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/13/12 09:57 PM

Scott, I don't have one now. Once I bought one from Hank B and tried it for a couple of weeks and traded it back to him. Another time, Gary sent me one to try and I gave it another go. Again, I determined it wasn't for me.
I actually got used to not worrying about the proximity effect because it sounded good. I think it's more of a hassle to plug the extra stuff in and wear the head set and either use a battery pack or run a wire from the mic or transmitter, than to just plug in a traditional mic. Also, I can control the dynamics a little better with a standard mic.
But then, I have turned off most of the automatic vocal settings on the PA3X, such as compression, gate and auto processing, at least for now. I seem to get a better sound using the old method of e.q., but maybe it's just what I'm used to hearing.
I have spent a LOT of time today working on mic settings. Not sure if I'm there, and won't really know until I get on a real job next week.
Try a Crown. You'll either love it or not!
DonM

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/15/12 09:11 PM

Don, thanks for the informative followup.
BBB, thanks for info about your headset mic & keyboard setup too.

In my quest to possibly add a headset mic to my rig,
I'm also considering getting a small portable
vocal effect/harmony unit to be used with my microARRANGER as well.

so...

I've just discovered that Roland's VP-7 Voice Processor actually includes a headset microphone (the Roland DR-HS5) too. smile
Does anyone own or have any experience with either the VP-7 or DR-HS5?

I'm particularly attracted to the Roland VP-7 because it's so compact & simple to operate.
It doesn't include the bells and whistles of the TC Helicon VoiceLive processors like 'audio looping' + other perks,
but I simply need nice sounding vocal reverb and basic yet realisitic sounding duo/trio vocal backup harmony voices.
The VP-7 looks most compact & lightweight, and while the TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch can be positioned at eye level too, it's quite a bit larger & heavier.

I'm really interested in finding out how the VP-7's 'vocal harmony sound quality' compares with the TC Helicon, esp the VoiceLive Touch.
Does anyone here own, or have auditioned, or better yet, compared the sound of these two units?

I'm anxious to learn if either Roland or TC Helicon will be announcing new model followups to the VP-7 or VoiceLive Touch respectively.
In the meantime, any and all feedback from others here is much appreciated.

Scott smile

here's a pic I found on the internet of the Roland VP-7 perched on the Korg microARRANGER's included music rack. cool

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/16/12 09:17 AM

You can't go wrong with Harmony M!
DonM

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/16/12 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM
You can't go wrong with Harmony M!
DonM

Yes, after reading reviews about the Harmony M
as well as realizing Gary Diamond recommends that model too,
I'm leaning more towards getting the TC Helicon Harmony M instead of the Roland VP-7 now,
esp realizing the lowest VP-7 street price is $549 vs. $220 for the 'M'.
Even though the VP-7 also includes a headset mic, it's a dynamic mic not condenser.

It appears now the best hi quality way to go may be a Crown 311A condenser headset mic + TC Helicon Harmony M.
Because the Harmony M output vol. level appears to be fixed,
to adjust the mic volume input into the microARRANGER's stereo 'line in' jack may require a small 'inline volume control' device.
Can anyone recommend a suitable one? Thanks. - Scott

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/16/12 10:44 AM

Just got off the telephone with Scott and I'll be checking the input questions he posed while at a job this evening. I believe the input volume of the Harmony-M will have an impact on the overall output voltage, but I'm not quite sure. I'll post an update tomorrow morning.

As for an inline amp, Radio Shack sells a 3-channel Headphone Volume Booster that does a pretty good job. I think I paid about $29 for one five or six years ago. They now have something SIMILAR

Gary cool

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/16/12 10:59 AM

On the Harymony M, there is room on the input control, between no signal and overdrive, for some effect on the output.
DonM

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/16/12 11:32 AM

Don, good to hear there's room on the Harmony M's input control to effect its output level.
Gary's test will be from Harmony M unit to keyboard fixed line in (aux inputs), to determine whether there's enough input adjustment on the Harm.M to get the mic volume heard thru the keyboard's onboard speakers ranging from off to soft, as well as all the way up to 'significantly louder' than the relative volume of the auto accomp & live keyboard parts.
This would avoid needing to add an "in-line volume control/amplifer" such as the one Gary gave the link to.
Gary, I'm looking forward to your findings. smile

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/17/12 01:54 PM

OK, I tried connecting the Harmony-M output into the PSR-3000's auxiliary/line-level input and even with the Harmony-M's volume turned up there just was not sufficient power.

Now, it is well known that the Auxiliary Input of the PSR-3000 requires a fairly hot signal, so I'm not sure if this test will apply to the Korg Micro's line-in. It may be different and work just fine. When I do Thursday night's job I'll connect the interface, line-amp from Radio Shack and see if this makes a difference.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: DanO1

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/18/12 08:13 AM

I have been using a Shure WH20XLR headset for years and love it. Just FYI
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/20/12 03:43 PM

[url=]http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=98&catid=10[/url]

Anyone using this model Mic...

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/20/12 05:07 PM

I tried two Countryman E6 models--both sucked. They were really not designed for singers, they were prone to feedback, lousy frequency response, and thin sounding. The attributes were: lightweight, nearly invisible and for someone providing seminars or speaking from a pulpit they're just fine.

Gary cool
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/20/12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Hell Donny she some doll, never mind the product and she can make more faces than Martin Harris, however, much nicer faces. Surely this is not a product for big eared old men, it would never stay in the ear canal, could you sing through it I wonder, would it be good enough that size??

Tony
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" - 01/21/12 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Hell Donny she some doll, never mind the product and she can make more faces than Martin Harris, however, much nicer faces. Surely this is not a product for big eared old men, it would never stay in the ear canal, could you sing through it I wonder, would it be good enough that size??

Tony

Not for me Tony...I'm a power singer, I dislike anything on my head I just dont like the feel, The look, and cannot become AS ONE with the mic when singing with a headset configuration, believe me I've tried....for my style of singing I always use a handheld. I dont know how this model would work for singers but I would assume you wouldn't even know you have it on judging by its design & that's a good thing.