SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#335302 - 01/04/12 01:49 PM Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910?
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
hi...
I'm wondering if the keyboard of the Yamaha S910 is the same cardboardish one on previous higher end PSRs.
any opinions?
same question on the new PSR-A2000...

thanks in advance for any wisdom, insights, etc.
and happy new year!
TM

#335305 - 01/04/12 02:07 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi TM,

I liked it a lot...very light touch, excellent velocity response (if you press a key easy enough, there is no sound...just like piano) but certainly may not work for those who prefer semi-weighted keys as per Tyros' superb FSX keybed or the higher end Korg's really nice Fatar made action.

Also, it doesn't have aftertouch, which may or may not matter. What type of arranger are you presently using?

It the same action found on the PSR-3000/S900/S710/S700 etc....my experience with it has been very positive, with no failures despite very hard usage. Gary Diamond has a PSR-3000 that has a lot of playing hours on it and it's still going strong.

Ian

As far as I know, the PSR-A2000 uses the same action as the S910, and if possible, try before you buy.

#335316 - 01/04/12 06:04 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Well Tom , "Ian" will not agree with me , but that`s fine ( he`s still an ok dude smile ).

I find the PSR`s have a rather poor and unpleasing action or feel.

I have had the PSR-2000 / PSR-S900 and the Tyros 3 , the T-3 was the best , not great but better.

I prefer a full weighted hammer action of a piano although I like to think of myself as an "organ grinder" .

I have a Roland Prelude right now and the action is ok certainly not what I would like , but IMO , better than the PSR line.
But not as good as the Tyros , but very close.

I guess I just like a solid action wink

Later guy`s laugh

Gary

#335318 - 01/04/12 06:10 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: jedi]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: jedi
Well Tom , "Ian" will not agree with me , but that`s fine ( he`s still an ok dude smile ).

I agree with you Gary...we don't agree. wink

Same as on the "rubber buttons" issue...Ha Ha!

In spite of those irreconcilable difference, you're still an "ok dude" in my books as well.
Ian

#335319 - 01/04/12 06:13 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
jedi Offline

O____ , I will say that Yamaha has the best sounding Arrangers on the market.

And the PSR-S910 is no exception !

Top notch sounds and very good styles , far better than any other arranger I have played.

So it really is a trade off , action for sound , I went with action ( although I do miss the sound of Yammy`s ).

G.

#335320 - 01/04/12 06:15 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
jedi Offline

Thanks "Ian" and Happy New Year !! laugh

Later , laugh

G.

#335321 - 01/04/12 06:29 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
ianmcnll Offline

The way I look at it, the S910 has about 3/4 (or more) of the sound quality of the Tyros3 or Tyros4, yet it is roughly 1/3 of the cost...well, at least far less than half the price.

They had to keep costs down somewhere, so the action isn't at the level of quality as the FSX action in the Tyros3 and T4.

However, many of us who have used this PSR action under far more than "normal" conditions, gigging several times a week, for example, have found it to be extremely reliable and very easy to live with.

My Roland Jupiter 8 has a very poor keyboard, no velocity or aftertouch, and it is sometimes a bit overly sensitive, but I can live it because of the awesome analog sound that no other synth produces.

To me, sound is #1...my fingers can adjust to a less than stellar action, but my ears can't live with a less than great quality sound.

I very nearly bought an S910, but I got a great deal (that I couldn't turn down) on the Tyros4, so I went with the latter, but, I'd have been very content with the former if that's how it had turned out.

Ian

And, a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too Gary! May your buttons never be rubber.

#335322 - 01/04/12 07:02 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: ianmcnll]
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
thanks all....

well I'm a saxophone player using arranger for home project studio. right now I have Korg PA800 and lately have found myself missing yamaha styles. dunno that I'll go back to the PSRs but sadly the T4 is way out of my reach.

and I'm not crazy about the Korg keys either. but they're better than the last Yamaha I had (3000)

sure wish the local stores had a A2000 to try....

thanks

#335343 - 01/04/12 10:19 PM Re: Anyone have an opinion on the key feel of S910? [Re: tom moon]
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Terrible cheap feeling and no after touch........Tyros 4 300x better. But that's not what people are paying for. Its all about the voices and Styles
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online