SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#334798 - 12/26/11 02:39 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Tony Hughes Offline

No Jonny,

You are right, the Audya was a big leap for Ketron, they know that now. I had a SD1+ and not one jot of trouble, been to Spain a few times and all the giggers use SD1 and SD1+ they still sound great, I am sure Dan will get it fixed. There is a chap who plays a Sd1 for charity in Oldham town centre, thats near Manchester and he's got keys missing, you can't tell when he's playing. I will do a film of him one day and post it.

Happy New Year Jonny.

Get that Audya purchased???

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334799 - 12/26/11 04:47 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: Tony Hughes]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

Happy New Year Jonny.

Get that Audya purchased???

No deal closed so far, mainly because of the astronomic high pricelevel when it finally came to this country. (Now it's lowered to about 25% higher price than the T4 and Pa3X here, but I still think it's not worth it.)
Anyway, to me the "Audya train" has left the station. Looking to the history and some posts around at the fora, I'm happy I did not jump as fast to buy that I usually do.

Happy New Year to you and all the forummembers/readers as well !

Cheers
GJ

#334826 - 12/27/11 04:24 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hi AJ and others...

Thank your for your replies..

I tried my SD1 at home yesterday, and..... it was WORKING again. So what it can be???

The singer does not want me to take my SD1 again on stage, until it is 100% stable.

So I took my Audya at yesteday night gig. Very nice sounding keyboard, but need to be tweeked.

I also had a problem with my Audya, and I had to reboot whyle people dancing frown

This happenned when I played with an USER AUDIO STYLE + INS (supersolo) SOUNDS.

It was strange. some samples were like deleted from memory, and was replaced by a piano sound, so part of the sound was the INS SOUND and part was PIANO. I was not able to change sounds anymore... I had to reboot.

The problem is that now, I can only play with Ketron sounds ! So I hope they can correct the problems.

Also I have an Audya suggestion :

When I am on DISK, and select a style, the START/STOP button does not work !! I have to press for exampl KEY START and press a chord.

Regards,

Dan

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#334832 - 12/27/11 08:04 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: DAN.2000]
Tonewheeldude Offline

My first thought is external power problems. If the venue is not earthed correctly or your cables have poor earth bond you will get issues with digital equipment. For the sake of a few dollars you can buy a simple plug tester, basically an ac plug with three LED's that tell you if the socket is safe to use. It doesn't test for earth bond though. (for this you will have to make a visual check or have an approved PAT engineer do it for you.

If your Audya had a problem at the same venue or using the same extension cables/ac cables then I would look there before spending your own time and money having the keyboards checked out. With a lack of test equipment if your on a gig, then one simple method once everything is powered up (its easy on a Ketron as they are metal) is to gently stroke the metal surface with your finger tips, if you feel a light 'buzzing' sensation when the equipment is on, then you have an earthing problem and you should not play until it is fixed. If its the venue at fault flatly refuse to perform..the responsibility is there's alone and you should still demand your fee if they refuse to get it looked at.

It never ceases to amaze me just how many high profile venues have dodgy wiring. A bad earth is not just an annoyance as it messes with your equipment it is a real hazzard to your health.

I am convinced that crashes and glitches with metal digital keyboards occur not because of any particular operation, but because you are touching the metal panel temprarily earthing the keyboard using your body!

something like this is good for quick checking of venue outlets and should be part of anyones gig bag:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/t203/mai...e-bb45-00001001

#334833 - 12/27/11 08:09 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: DAN.2000]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000

When I am on DISK, and select a style, the START/STOP button does not work !! I have to press for exampl KEY START and press a chord.

Why do you need to have the disk button pressed when performing?

With regards to using the supersolo or INS sounds. If you are using them in registrations you must autoload them. Otherwise you are going to have problems.

#334837 - 12/27/11 08:31 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: Tonewheeldude]
DAN.2000 Offline

My SD1 played OK maybe on 1000 gigs, every time in new halls.
When the problem occurred it was in a ***** hotel hall with high level standards.
I don't think it was a problem with the hall.

It was working good for 3 hours and then it stopped, and was not able to boot completely again. Always rebooting...

About the Audya, are you sure that we need to autoload the INS to get them working properly?

I have millions of styles, and want to try them out from the DISK page. and want then to press START to hear them.

Is it possible to install the 128Mb memory on my Audya 76?

Dan

Dan

#334848 - 12/27/11 11:48 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: DAN.2000]
Tonewheeldude Offline

There are three major jazz clubs in london - I had to setup gear in one of them and needed two sockets. On the wall there were three double sockets. The top row was dead, the middle row had no earth, the bottom row was ok. And this was one of London's leading venues. Other than that i am not sure what to say. If I were to look at the keyboard I would start by examining the connectors and checking for dry solder joints on any parts that heat up. Regarding your Audya, run the checksum tests (F1 whilst turning on the power).

You don't have to autoload INS sounds if your only playing the sound on the keys in real time, but if you wish to use them any other way (in a registration for example) then you must autoload. Thats because the Audya looks for 'positions' rather than file names. For example if you make a registration using an INS voice named PIANO1 and its against the F1 touch button, then the registraion will remeber that F1 slot. lets say next time you turn on the Audya you load an INS voice named SAX2 and it is in the F1 slot, selecting your registration will bring up SAX2 as its in the F1 slot...and not the PIANO1 sound....even if you load that too and its in the F2 slot, the registration will always point to F1 the slot

Some early Audya's will not have the sockets fitted to take the ram upgrade...but talk to your distributor as Ketron have a scheme in place to work around the problem. If its been purchased within the last year or two it should have the sockets.

OK..I see what you mean about the disk button, that is an annoyance, yes - I have the same problem auditioning the legacy styles.

#335809 - 01/10/12 08:31 PM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: DAN.2000]
bzw Offline

Loc: Md, USA
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Hi AJ and others...

Thank your for your replies..

I tried my SD1 at home yesterday, and..... it was WORKING again. So what it can be???

The singer does not want me to take my SD1 again on stage, until it is 100% stable.

So I took my Audya at yesteday night gig. Very nice sounding keyboard, but need to be tweeked.

I also had a problem with my Audya, and I had to reboot whyle people dancing frown

This happenned when I played with an USER AUDIO STYLE + INS (supersolo) SOUNDS.

It was strange. some samples were like deleted from memory, and was replaced by a piano sound, so part of the sound was the INS SOUND and part was PIANO. I was not able to change sounds anymore... I had to reboot.

The problem is that now, I can only play with Ketron sounds ! So I hope they can correct the problems.

Also I have an Audya suggestion :

Regards,

Dan

Dan, as AJ said, it might be a power supply,transformer, or connection that is causing the problem. It is possible that after heating up from 3 hours of play caused the problem to reveal itself.

Edited by bzw (01/10/12 08:32 PM)

#335817 - 01/11/12 02:27 AM Re: KETRON SD1 DIES WHILE GIGGING... [Re: bzw]
DAN.2000 Offline

I have another gig on sunday,

I will try my SD1 again on a full gig.

I just ordered the new Yamaha PSRA200. I will take it with me as a rescue, in case of SD1 failure...

I will let you know

Dan

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online