SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333438 - 11/15/11 02:16 PM What is the max size of SD card for KN2600
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have smaller cards that are working ok but one larger that is 512 MB isn't recognixed. It may be defective?
I see all the new ones now are 8 to 21 GB. Are any of these big ones usable?
the KN2600 was the last Keyboard Technics manufactured and it will play all the KN7000 stuff other then custom files and all the older keyboard styles too. It is ideal for my motorhome as it only weighs 26 pounds.
Thanks for any info,
Bebop

#333446 - 11/15/11 04:07 PM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bebop,

It's been a long time since we had a chat. Hope you and Jann are keeping well.

In answer to your question, it is only possible to store 99 FOLDERS with 20 FILES to each folder on a normal SD Card. Most people I know use 256MB but these are very hard to find these days, so you may have to buy a 1GB or higher depending what's available in your area.

Whatever size you choose, just a friendly reminder to format it in your keyboard first before using it with the PC, as it makes it easier for the keyboard to read.

In case you are not aware, SDHC cards will NOT WORK with a KN keyboard. Apparently they are designed for the latest digital cameras. I have a Canon Sureshot digital camera bought in 2003 and these new SDHC cards do not work with that either. I was told the "camera is too old madam" I cannot repeat my answer to that here, but needless to say, I am disgusted, particularly as the normal SD Cards are fast disappearing in our shops - although you can still get them on the net.

Hope this info is helpful to you.

Audrey

#333449 - 11/15/11 07:39 PM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
BEBOP Offline

thank you Audrey for refreshing my OLD memory.
I guess the one that is 512 MB is defective. It has been around for several years.
Jann is doing fine and is retiring for the third time at the end of the November month. I think she means it this time:)
Best to you and yours and all the Technics members still here.
Bebop

#333458 - 11/16/11 02:39 AM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Bepop
I have a 2gb sd card in my KN7000 and it works perfectly
However it will still only hold the 99 folders.
I managed to find 5 1gb cards on the internet.

Regards
Peter B

#333461 - 11/16/11 05:27 AM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: peter b]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The KN7000 and KN2600 will only correctly 'address' standard SD Cards up to a capacity of 1G Byte. SD Cards up to 2 GByte can be used but the keyboards will ony 'see' them as a 1G Byte card. This is due to the addressing 'limit' of the KNxxxx operating system. What you have to recognise is that the KN7000 and KN2600, were produced before the advent of SDHC cards, so it is not surprising that their Operating System does not recognise these higher capacity cards, which use a totally different addressing protocol.

A 1 GByte addressing capacity is MORE than adequate, for storing 99 Technics Format song folders. Assuming that every folder contained 20 Song files - which will result in an average size of around 1.4 MByte per folder - even if all folders are full, this will only occupy around 139 MBytes of the available capacity. The remaining capacity could be used for other files such as MIDI and MP3 songs.

In short, the 1 GByte addressing capacity, which was inherent at the design stage of these keyboards, cannot really be considered a limitation. The fact that Standard SD cards are becoming scarce, is not the fault of the KNxxxx designers - or in fact designers of cameras or other equipment which use the original SD Cards.
I guess it's called 'Progress'...........

#333474 - 11/16/11 10:17 AM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: Bill Norrie]
BEBOP Offline

Thank you OLD WILLUM.
You are still my man to go to for these Technics Answers. I appreciate your imput.
Now I will go try to find some new cards as mine are mostly filled up with KN7 and Kn26 from when I had them before. I want to save all the KN7 stuff cause one of these days I will find a distress sale and buy it.
I did pick up the KN26 for about half of what I sold mine for when Technics pulled the plug. smile
All is well in San Jose, CALIF. Stop over and see us one of these fine days.
Best regards to you and yours,
Bebop

#333475 - 11/16/11 11:21 AM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
OK Bill smile
If you can't find any usable SD Cards, why not back-up some of your 'less-used' cards to a folder on your PC. This will release some cards for further use.......
I periodically back-up all my SD Cards to my hard drive, and because I'm a bit paranoid, I also copy them to CDs!!

I would love to cross 'The Pond' again - and have an open invitation from my good friend Bob Hendershot in Tennessee - but I'm afraid the cost is now prohibitive and I just couldn't cope with the hassle involved in flying........

#333492 - 11/16/11 06:33 PM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I don't call backing SD cards to CD's paranoid, Bill (Norrie). I do the same.

Bill (Bebop) there are several places on the internet that still have SD cards of the old version. Just be sure you don't buy SDHC for your Technics keyboards.

#333500 - 11/17/11 08:43 AM Re: What is the max size of SD card for KN2600 [Re: BEBOP]
BEBOP Offline

thank you friends for good information answers to my question. You are all appreciated.
Bebop Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online