SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332933 - 10/27/11 08:27 AM KN7000 Mic Output
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have just finished getting my KN7000 ready for some NH jobs and considered trying to use my KN outputs for vocal instead of using a mixer, for an easier setup.

I remember, however, asking this question about nine years ago and don't remember getting a satisfactory solution.

1. Is the quality as good as say a Bose mixer ?

2. Is there any way to globally reduce the reverb ?

Bernie

#332940 - 10/27/11 02:55 PM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I run my girls vocal inputs through the KN7000 and out to just a monitor along with the music tracks and that works very well - great sound...
I keep reverb set at 'home' level which is sufficient.
Rog

#332941 - 10/27/11 04:05 PM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie wrote: My answerers below his questions.
I have just finished getting my KN7000 ready for some NH jobs and considered trying to use my KN outputs for vocal instead of using a mixer, for an easier setup.

I remember, however, asking this question about nine years ago and don't remember getting a satisfactory solution.

1. Is the quality as good as say a Bose mixer ?
Bernie when a mic is put into the kn7 mic channel you have control of the reverb and its effects. I have not found a way to bypass the global EQ or the global reverb. Any changes in these areas effect the Microphone.

2. Is there any way to globally reduce the reverb ?
Bernie if you press and hold the reverb button (Right side near the top) a window will show giving what you are looking for. Make sure that your panel memory, in Extended Mode has the control for the reverb turned off.

When I use my Mic thru the keyboard the output from the Kn7 goes into the instrument impute of the Bose; Nice sound. But --- when my mic goes into the voice channel of the Bose ( directly not thru the keyboard) the vocal is deeper and stronger. Please take into account that I have no knowledge of the Bose mixer and its possibilities.

The best bet in my opinion is: Microphone into a TC Hellicon; that will give vocal harmony and effects for the voice. Then into the Bose Voice channel.

Take care, John C.

PS, I feel us older guys need to have some harmony and effects to earn that fantastic applause. (Smile)

#332948 - 10/28/11 02:23 AM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks guys

I know there is infinite flexibility with my Bose T-1 mixer but I thought I could eliminate some gear for small jobs(30-45 people). It has been years since I tried the KN mic input.

John
I will try your way of keeping the reverb level the same when I switch songs. It was a real pain before, when I would Change songs and find it had reverted back to default, which is much too high.

I will have to start using my TC Voice Live again. It is a marvelous unit if used judiciously. I thought you sold yours.

Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (10/28/11 02:24 AM)

#332962 - 10/28/11 01:49 PM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie, I did sell my TC Hellicon because my Korg Pa800 has one built in. If I decide to use my Kn7 on the jobs and wanted to use the mic impute in the Kn7 I would need a Vocalizer.

About the Reverb: Make sure you go to Customize (Right side of the Panel Memory) Customize—Data Protection --- Mic Settings on OFF.

Panel memory – Extended Memory – MIC on OFF.
When you turn the Kn7 on the reverb may default to a higher unwanted number.

My system: I set up the keyboard the way I want it and then save it in the SD. After turning the Kn7 on I load my set up from the SD card. I do this all the time when playing, editing, or recording a sequence.

John C,

#332963 - 10/28/11 02:12 PM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

John

That is what I will have to do. I did go back and save all the panel mems to the right setting on my vocals. OOH, I may just use my mixer or harmonizer.

I did the NH job with no hitches except a volume issue and my expression pedal did not work. I took a quick break and found a sloppy connection from the mono out on the KN.

Over the years, the jack is getting sloppy and I have to be careful to seat my cable well. I have new quality cables so I know it is the jack. I know the answer is to replace the jack, but would mean taking the machine apart. I wonder if there is something I could insert into it to make a more positive connection.

Bernie

#332979 - 10/29/11 08:56 AM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
Bernie,
Maybe contact spray can solve the jack problem?
Bert

#332981 - 10/29/11 11:27 AM Re: KN7000 Mic Output [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Bert.

I got some CRC and sprayed it. I'll see how long it lasts. The signal sure is good now.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online