SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#33289 - 08/28/06 10:39 AM sd1 or sd1+
zzprod Offline

ok, i have a good offer for a used sd1. my question is:
is the only difference between the sd1 and the sd1 plus in the operating system? is there any reason prefering a new sd1 plus on sd1?

#33290 - 08/31/06 11:40 PM Re: sd1 or sd1+
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

To my understanding, the Plus has an extra board that allows you to load STERO samples, and has a few more styles, and those, you can get them and load them in to the SD1, and as far it goes, the OS are a little different due to the internal map, EACH has their own OS.
I had 2 SD1s, my problem was the 64 note polyphony, and for my playing style was an issue, but other wise, I still like the sounds, styles and in fact, I did consulting for most Professional Ketron users in the Phoenix area.
If your playing style does not use a lot of notes and/or layer sounds, I would get the SD1 in a heartbeat.

#33291 - 09/02/06 02:20 AM Re: sd1 or sd1+
zzprod Offline

thanks. i sm now a proud owner of a Ketron sd1! (bought used for 2000usd)

#33292 - 09/14/06 07:46 PM Re: sd1 or sd1+
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
been wondering if the sd2 sound module may help with sd polyphony issues ie get additional polyphony from the module??

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdorantes:
[B]Hi:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33293 - 09/14/06 10:00 PM Re: sd1 or sd1+
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi rikkisbears:

I do not think the SD2 will solve the SD1 situation, the problem is because when you play ONE note in the right side, is actually 3, so, if you play a full chord and if you use also a program that contain 2 or up to 4 layer sounds, each note you triple it and also multiply by the number of sounds that you layer to make up the program sound. So, besides the pattern playing, 64 note polyphony is not in off.....and using the SD2 external module, I have not seen the specs, but I think it was design mainly to use as a Laptop external midi module, so, that will not solve the problem, I am waiting for the release of the smaller but newer SD5(128 notes), and perhaps I will get it until Ketron or Korg release a flagship that appeals to my playing needs.

#33294 - 09/15/06 01:11 AM Re: sd1 or sd1+
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
I must admit I'm not fully familiar with the midi specs on the sd1.
Wondering if left and right hand voices could be assigned to the module instead of played internally, thefore using less notes in the sd1 itself.
I may check that out & see if it's at all feasible.

thank you
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
Hi rikkisbears:

I do not think the SD2 will solve the SD1 situation, the problem is because when you play ONE note in the right side, is actually 3, so, if you play a full chord and if you use also a program that contain 2 or up to 4 layer sounds, each note you triple it and also multiply by the number of sounds that you layer to make up the program sound. So, besides the pattern playing, 64 note polyphony is not in off.....and using the SD2 external module, I have not seen the specs, but I think it was design mainly to use as a Laptop external midi module, so, that will not solve the problem, I am waiting for the release of the smaller but newer SD5(128 notes), and perhaps I will get it until Ketron or Korg release a flagship that appeals to my playing needs.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33295 - 09/15/06 10:01 PM Re: sd1 or sd1+
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
just checked the midi section of the manual.
It doesn't appear that I can do what I'd hoped. There's no way of assigning styleparts or melody voices to be played by an external module only ie
have certain style parts played by module while the rest are played by the sd1.

Fortunately I haven't had a polyphony problem yet playing in arranger mode, only noticed it playing back some heavily orchestrated midifiles.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
I must admit I'm not fully familiar with the midi specs on the sd1.
Wondering if left and right hand voices could be assigned to the module instead of played internally, thefore using less notes in the sd1 itself.
I may check that out & see if it's at all feasible.

thank you
best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33296 - 09/16/06 05:43 PM Re: sd1 or sd1+
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey Rikki
I feld a little delay on piano and sax when I'm playing solos with a R&roll style.Maybe that's from lack of polyphony too.Not missing notes but a kind of lazzieness in the respons of the sound card in my SD1+EXP.Have you ever notice that?
Vio

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online