SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#332595 - 10/16/11 08:45 PM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Nedim]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I take it back.......you guys are on the mark. I stepped back after I read what you wrote. It IS part of the bigger picture. Not sure if it's a by-product or a "main course."

The Caller ID issue has been going on for at least 10 years now. That's how long I've been tracking it. I can't even call a movie theater chain to see what's playing without their computer answering and telling me what # I'm calling from and do I want a film listing in my zip code area? They then tell me what that zip code is.

I contacted the FCC and the ACLU about it. FCC said send them an email (of course, so they could have more info about me!) and the ACLU said they were "too busy with other issues!"

But...I DO feel a little better now knowing that I'm not alone in seeing what's going on around me!

Mark

#332597 - 10/16/11 09:30 PM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Irishacts]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Irishacts
Quote:
Ahhhhh....but right now I'm concerned and worried about my privacy being invaded everyplace I go.....and.....my information being compiled every place I go.

Hmmm. I don’t think you get it. You already lost the one thing your worried about loosing many years ago.

The laws that came in after 9/11 are a billion dollar business now and it's all about taking away your rights to privacy and then some....

I gotta agree with you James .... I think we have all missed jumping off the wagon so long ago .... not like we ever got the choice. I doubt if showing ID to Guitar Center really changes anything in anyone's life that hasn't already happened. Not to say I approve of it, but I don't think it means anything in the big picture.

And don't expect this to get better. It won't. As technology becomes more and more integrated into our everyday life our privacy will continue to decay. That is the future and there is really no way of stopping it. I don't stress over it as it is unavoidable. I simply try to minimize the amount of info I give away. If Guitar Center require too much info the choice is simply to stop buying from Guitar Center ... or live with it. There is no in between.

#332603 - 10/17/11 05:23 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: ianmcnll]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Related;
I have no knowledge of this; it’s just what I heard on the radio while driving.

The Department of Motor Vehicles is selling our information to outside businesses. Their take last year was a little over 2 million dollars. The one stipulation is that the buyers are not allowed to directly solicit from the list.

That leaves ???? a bit of doubt and more loss of our rights.

John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online