SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#332563 - 10/15/11 09:17 PM our privacy and consumer rights are heading South
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Stores and big business corporations are having a field day with us.

Be warned...I purchased a 16 GB Sandisk flash drive on sale at Best Buy. Then I read bad reports on this unit and went to return it to the store. Even though it was unopened and I had the original receipt, they demanded my "photo ID" as part of the refund process. No if's, and's or but's! Of course, that all goes into their database to be hacked into some day by some 12 year old whiz kid and then sold on the Black Market to outfits who compile information.

I clearly won't be shopping at Best Buy anymore!

Are you all also aware that every company that you call using their 800 # can read their caller ID to learn WHO you are and your telephone #. They then take further information from you by asking innocent questions (May I have your name so I can log in this call? Is this your home phone # you're calling from? What # can we call you back on in case we get disconnected? Have you ever called here before? What products do you own? etc). In short, many of us are on company computer databases all over the country. This data eventually gets compiled into one huge database containing almost everything one needs to know about you.

So.....don't think you're remaining anonymous if you don't give your name and phone # to whatever company you're calling. They'll have it (AND all your records) before they even pick up the phone as their computers will read your # and pull up all information the person answering the phone needs to know.

#332564 - 10/15/11 10:43 PM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
Tony Hughes Offline

What then happens is your details are sold on to someone in Mumbia India and someone from there will ring you and tell you they are from Microsoft and you have a problem on your PC, if you are stupid enough to believe them and some folk are they will have you credit card number off you and rip you for around £500 for a usless interent security package, they will by then have your credit card details and you will be scammed again later. Mostly these are scams from countries you give millions of dollars in aid. The internet has become a very good educational tool for the wrong reason, as you get older you need to get a bit smarter.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#332568 - 10/16/11 05:03 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Best Buy are the least of your worries.
Your wall street protests are being echoed all over the world, yet the mass media does not cover this. The powers that be are very busy suppressing you and the other 99% of the worlds population.

Regards
James.

#332572 - 10/16/11 09:06 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Irishacts]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Irishacts
Best Buy are the least of your worries.
Your wall street protests are being echoed all over the world, yet the mass media does not cover this. The powers that be are very busy suppressing you and the other 99% of the worlds population.

Ahhhhh....but right now I'm concerned and worried about my privacy being invaded everyplace I go.....and.....my information being compiled every place I go.

I'm also concerned about my consumer status. I forgot to mention Best Buy also "reserves the right to refuse" a refund...similar to the Target policy.

And also I didn't mention the extended warranty I bought at Guitar Center to cover a musical instrument purchase. When the item broke, I found out my warranty didn't give me the refund price that I was promised, but DID give me a "gift certificate" for another GC purchase.

That with the Caller ID situation going on.....it's only a matter of time before THIS gets out of control also, and you have your "Consumer protests and sit-ins."

I'm feeling rather insignificant these days. And waiting for the day when GC and Sam Ash see what Best Buys is doing with their rather unconventional return policy and copies it.

I can see me buying a Tyros or a PA3Xpro and getting stuck with it....."sorry, sir......you should have read our "no refunds policy" before you purchased...it was in clear view in the rest room and pasted on the ceiling!

Mark

#332573 - 10/16/11 09:16 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
All i know is that Democracy and Capitalism ruined this world and our lives.
My grandfather was very old and (i wont call it stupid) but very uneducated
man. When i was a kid in 1989 before he died since then he foretold the coming
of the Webcam, he said many times ''A day will come when you see who you talking
to even if the person is in America'' at the time my uncle was here.
Also he said ''What you see on the news everyday about this Democracy and Capitalism,
i feel very sorry for you kids, your lives wont be as easy as they seem not, soon
everything will be ruined...BOTH of these things i actually live thru nowadays.
I personally was never a believer in Democracy and Capitalism, since they both
cary a double edged sword, i believe human beings should be controlled, not live
in democracy since in many fields we are worst then animals. We are the only kinds
of life form that actually kill for pleasure or out of stupidity, no animal does that,
they will kill only in need for food or fear/defense. This might sound of topic but
it is so very much in the topic. Whatever Marc experienced it is part of this so called
Democracy and Capitalism...we just dont realise we live in a dictatorship, we are too
obsessed with their distractions that they provided/fixed for us.
But some people are not stupid anymore, they are waking up.

#332575 - 10/16/11 09:39 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don’t expect to see a world in which there would be no theft, aggression, or coercion.

But, it would be refreshing to live in one in which no agency of coercion (the government) had the acceptance of most of the people around me.

Dealing with an agency of coercion would be much easier if you didn't have to cope also with “law-abiding” neighbors
who act as unpaid functionaries of the state.

The "art" of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other.

Ian

#332579 - 10/16/11 10:55 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: ianmcnll]
Mark79100 Offline

Thanks for your replies, guys, but I would appreciate if this topic didn't drift off into world politics and stayed on topic about the issues I wrote about.

I'm curious how others feel about what I wrote, or if anyone is even aware?

Mark

#332580 - 10/16/11 11:31 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
Nedim Offline

Mark, you are right but it is very hard to stay of other subjects too since that all falls
into this subject, your problem that you had experienced (and we all do) is actually brought
to us ONLY by politics and nothing else. Your problem cannot be isolated and discussed without
actually entering politics, we all know that that BB policy and also other companies policies
are actually cuz of THE POLITICS.

#332581 - 10/16/11 11:46 AM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Mark79100]
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Ahhhhh....but right now I'm concerned and worried about my privacy being invaded everyplace I go.....and.....my information being compiled every place I go.

Hmmm. I don’t think you get it. You already lost the one thing your worried about loosing many years ago.

The laws that came in after 9/11 are a billion dollar business now and it's all about taking away your rights to privacy and then some....

#332582 - 10/16/11 12:26 PM Re: our privacy and consumer rights are heading South [Re: Irishacts]
Nedim Offline

Originally Posted By: Irishacts
The laws that came in after 9/11 are a billion dollar business now and it's all about taking away your rights to privacy and then some....

Jesse Ventura once said:
Whenever the govermenet tells you ''we are trying to keep you safe''
get ready, you will lose your freedom...and he was right. We did, almost all.
For the sake of Fake Terorism that doesnt exist, we lost everything.
I know, it still Sounds off topic but it is not, this Topic is very complicated
and EVERYTHING to do with Politics.

Edited by Nedim (10/16/11 12:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online