SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332018 - 09/28/11 08:28 AM Tyros and Motif Experience
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Just got a Motif XF6 a few weeks ago and have it connected via MIDI to my Tyros 3. I use the Motif as the Master Keyboard playing Motif and Tyros sounds. This combination has been a revelation. The apparent weaknesses,IMHO, in the T3 are more than compensated for by the Motif. The ease of creating backing tracks and accompaniments is,IMHO, easier to do on the Motif than creating new Styles on the T3.

The Motif included 512 Performances and I have played through them all, created a favorites list (more than 400) and am in the process of editing each. With the thousands of Arpeggios, and the exceptionally deep Voice, Performance and Part editing and over 1000 voices I have a mind-boggling number of permutations. Using Performance Mode I can create 4 part accompaniments that I combine with T3 voices. In song mode I can have 16 part arrangements. I can even use T3 intros and endings. Or I can use T3 Styles with Motif voices, etc.

Plus the Motif has a different sound than the T3 and in some a areas the sound is superior to T3: Drums, Bass, Piano, Strings and other Orchestral voices, Electric Pianos for example. This is really exciting. I can strongly recommend this combination.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#332019 - 09/28/11 09:23 AM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: Joesax]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Joe, that sounds like an awsome set up! Are you playing live with that? I hope to hear some examples. Have fun!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#332023 - 09/28/11 10:22 AM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: montunoman]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I don't play live. Just write and record my own music. However I know some feel that this combo might be difficult to use live. I don't believe so. With the T3 controls and the very powerful Motif Real time Performance Controls, for example, you can turn on and off any of 16 parts, turn ARPS on/off or change from Hold to Sync with Key, solo any of the parts, etc., and I am only touching the surface of live control you have.

Yes, I will post some examples as soon as I can. Haven't gotten to explore MIDI or Audio recording yet.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#332299 - 10/05/11 09:19 PM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: Joesax]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Nothing beats "great, inspirational sounds." Both the Tyros and the Motif has the sounds to take your creativity to the next level. I had a Tyros 2, Motif, Motif ES, and Motif XF.

I agree that it's easier to create your own tracks on the Motif. I wish the top of the line "workstation" in Yamaha's line would have the best sounds for all levels. I know they market the Tyros as a "home/enthusiast" keyboard... but some of those "solo" sound deserve to be on the Motif. It would be nice if they put the sequencing/arranging abilities at the level of the Motif into the Tyros. Then add an easier lyric/chord input that can sync to the sequence or arrangement and you would have one keyboard that is good for all... my dream!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#332300 - 10/05/11 09:33 PM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: shueymusic
Nothing beats "great, inspirational sounds." Both the Tyros and the Motif has the sounds to take your creativity to the next level. I had a Tyros 2, Motif, Motif ES, and Motif XF.

I agree that it's easier to create your own tracks on the Motif. I wish the top of the line "workstation" in Yamaha's line would have the best sounds for all levels. I know they market the Tyros as a "home/enthusiast" keyboard... but some of those "solo" sound deserve to be on the Motif. It would be nice if they put the sequencing/arranging abilities at the level of the Motif into the Tyros. Then add an easier lyric/chord input that can sync to the sequence or arrangement and you would have one keyboard that is good for all... my dream!

The answer is easy...

Yamaha should integrate KARMA intoo their next line of MOTIF instruments and adjust it in such a way that it can import Yamaha styles... (while still keeping the Motifs Arpeggiator)

They should add all the SA voices from T4 and more... but also allow sound creation to build their own SA voices...

They should bring back updated versions of VL, DX and AN (preferably software versions) and other sound generation expansions...

They should make it possible to stream voices and samples directly from SSD disk and add an SSD disk.

There you go, the all in one Yamaha without actually adding one new feature....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#332301 - 10/05/11 09:48 PM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: Bachus]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Quote Bachus "The answer is easy...

Yamaha should integrate KARMA intoo their next line of MOTIF instruments and adjust it in such a way that it can import Yamaha styles... (while still keeping the Motifs Arpeggiator)

They should add all the SA voices from T4 and more... but also allow sound creation to build their own SA voices...

They should bring back updated versions of VL, DX and AN (preferably software versions) and other sound generation expansions...

They should make it possible to stream voices and samples directly from SSD disk and add an SSD disk.

There you go, the all in one Yamaha without actually adding one new feature...." end quote

It can be done already Bachus, and other features on the way, its called Korg "Kronos"

#332308 - 10/06/11 07:44 AM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Robbo
Quote Bachus "The answer is easy...

There you go, the all in one Yamaha without actually adding one new feature...." end quote

It can be done already Bachus, and other features on the way, its called Korg "Kronos"

I know... I own one

But then KORG KRONOS doesn't support DNC (Korgs version of SA voices) yet, and its not possible to convert my style collection to KARMA. On top of that except for piano i think the emulation of accoustic instruments (except for piano) is the really weak spot of the Kronos...

Never understood why it didn't support advanced DNC voices straight out of the box to cover this part of the spectrum

I was hoping to add a Groove XR to my KRONOS to support these 2 features, but they removed both Q-ranger as live-styler support from the final version, so it currently does not support styles in Lionstracs OS 5.3...

Which leaves me with my laptop and an unstable buggy version of live-styler but very good support of Accoustic instrument VST's

Edited by Bachus (10/06/11 07:49 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#332311 - 10/06/11 10:38 AM Re: Tyros and Motif Experience [Re: Joesax]
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
Got my Jupiter 80..together with my Yamaha T3 I think it will be very fine.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online