SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332167 - 10/02/11 02:52 PM Roland va-76 power supply?? (died overseas)
Vadim Offline

My 117volt va-76 (has a sticker on it "117v 60hz") was overseas for awhile where 220v is a standard. One crew was using it wit 220v to 120v power converter. Than the other crew was using it and they either accidentally or due to lack of knowledge plugged it in into 220v directly and told me it was working. About a year later another (3rd) crew needed to use it, they plugged it in into 220 to 120 converter and the keyboard doesn't power up.

As I'm at the other side of the ocean it's hard for me to predict what happens or what is happening.

in order to troubleshoot this or investigate what happened I want to know first if Roland VA76's psu is universal? or just fixed voltage?

#332173 - 10/02/11 04:41 PM Re: Roland va-76 power supply?? (died overseas) [Re: Vadim]
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
You have actually answered this yourself.

The second crew plugged it into a 220V supply and it worked. So chances are that there is something wrong with the step down transformer the third crew are working with.

These days regardless of what the sticker says on the back of your keyboard, they mostly all have universal PSU's.

That said, never take a chance without official conformation.

I'm sorry I can't give you a 100% sure answer other than to say that if the information you have been given is correct, then you have nothing to work about.

I run KORG Forums and we run a list over there for KORG Keyboards that have universal PSU's. I'm afraid we have only been keeping a KORG list though.

My advice, call Roland tech support and ask them if there's a universal PSU inside. If the answer is yes, which I bet it will be, tell the crew to throw the step down transformer in the bin and connect the Roland direct.

Regards
James.

#332246 - 10/04/11 12:11 PM Re: Roland va-76 power supply?? (died overseas) [Re: Vadim]
Vadim Offline

Talked to Roland Customer Support twice.
First time I got the answer "I'm not really sure, but I think it is a switching power supply".
Second time the Person didn't even know about "VA-76". I had to repeat the model name "va-76" to him about 6 times, but he couldn't even find VA-76 model in their database or wherever he was searching for it.

So I'm still searching for the answer.

if Next time I'll be calling Roland US, I'll try to record the conversation.

#332254 - 10/04/11 05:57 PM Re: Roland va-76 power supply?? (died overseas) [Re: Vadim]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi Vadim,
there is a Roland user forum. I used to belong years ago. I don't what it's official name is though. Maybe someone ther could help.
Originally Posted By: Vadim
Talked to Roland Customer Support twice.
First time I got the answer "I'm not really sure, but I think it is a switching power supply".
Second time the Person didn't even know about "VA-76". I had to repeat the model name "va-76" to him about 6 times, but he couldn't even find VA-76 model in their database or wherever he was searching for it.

So I'm still searching for the answer.

if Next time I'll be calling Roland US, I'll try to record the conversation.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online