SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#331118 - 09/01/11 09:24 AM What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You'd think it would be a combination of talent and persistence, but, for me, at least, there has been a good amount of luck involved.

When I got started, it was a chance contact with Louis Belsom, which resulted in lots of good things.

15 years ago,or so, it was a casual visit to the restaurant I played by a major studio dude and Grammy winner.

In college, I played in a house band that became very big in the country field. That resulted in lots of studio work and additional valuable contacts in the industry.

Recently, I have been playing for one of the biggest horse farm owners in the world. The guy flies horses around the farms, located everywhere from Australia to Dubai, in two custom 747's.

In this case, the dad of my "adopted" grandkids is head groom, and the son of my guitar tech is farm manager.

I am scheduled to go overseas four times a year, for a week at a time (just got back from my third trip), and could comfortably live on the pay from playing two hours a night for dinner. This is the same guy who brings in the Neville Brothers to play for a party of 50 people, and who tips me $500.00 every time he comes to a restaurant I play.

Lots of other similar things have happened in my time as a musician. Talent? Well, enough to get by, but, mostly, it's been "right place at the right time" and references from people you treat with respect.

What about you? Talent...persistence...luck or a combination of all three (and maybe other factors).

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (09/01/11 09:26 AM)

#331127 - 09/01/11 10:46 AM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I think it's all three. The thing is you have to have the "goods" when luck falls your way. Your not going to find yourself those "luck breaks" if you aren't persistent. Let's say for example you pracice 24/7 (you're persistent) but you never get out of the house. How are you going to find those "luck breaks"?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331133 - 09/01/11 12:54 PM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: montunoman]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey Russ,
I did clinics with Belson in the late 60s. Later we ran into each other again when I was doing the road show of Hello Dolly with Pearl Bailey and Cab. Every once in awhile Louie would show up to see Pearl. I really liked him because he was down to earth and treated everyone with respect.

By the way, I get my jobs because I play the music my clients enjoy and because I am persistent in making booking calls when needed.

Deane

#331140 - 09/01/11 09:04 PM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No luck involved--just the ability to entertain, and persistance, if that's the correct word to use, for turning my fun into a profitable business.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#331145 - 09/02/11 02:20 AM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: travlin'easy]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
I think a good attitude and energy. If you come across as a negative person, or you are tired in yourself thenyou can loose jobs. If you try to be "up" style of person and have a great "can do" attitude , you will get more jobs than most, I have found anyway.

taz

#331171 - 09/02/11 12:42 PM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: tassiespirit]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There is definitely an element of 'luck', 'destiny' whatever, that sometimes puts us in the "right place at the right time" ... I know that has happened to me more than once in my career ... but it IS all three and one more HARD WORK ...
LUCK may put us in a particular place where someone 'out of the blue' hears us and books us for a future gig(s), but it is the PERSISTENCE and HARD WORK in developing our TALENTS that gets the gigs ...
JMHO rocker
PS: ... good attitude and energy are ALWAYS necessary ...

Edited by tony mads usa (09/02/11 12:44 PM)

#331181 - 09/02/11 03:56 PM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: captain Russ]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think to suggest that luck or good fortune has no part in growing a career of live performance is wrong...

Luck won't sustain you if you're not up to snuff, but if we all think hard enough, somewhere along the way, lady luck smiled at us.

#331196 - 09/03/11 06:37 AM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: captain Russ]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
If you listen to some of the highly respected intelligent leaders we have elected to represent us, if we get any jobs at all it is because of tax cuts. wink

tom

Tom

#331197 - 09/03/11 08:31 AM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
If you listen to some of the highly respected intelligent leaders we have elected to represent us, if we get any jobs at all it is because of tax cuts. wink

tom
clap

#331198 - 09/03/11 08:31 AM Re: What generates jobs...talent, persistence or luck? [Re: captain Russ]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Yes, thank god we extended the Bush tax cuts, the risk takers have clearly stepped up.

Great line, Tom...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (09/03/11 08:32 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online