SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#330992 - 08/28/11 06:39 AM What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
The majority of my work is for baby boomers that are eating and/or drinking and chatting while I play.
Last night I did a gig that I split with a band. The band was very good and did some stuff that was very impressive, but got hardly any reaction from the crowd. As I started, “When the Moon Hits Your Eye …” I can see people glancing my way and/or mouthing the lyrics. “Gigolo” and to a lesser degree, “Volare” get the same reaction.
I’d like to know what tunes others, playing in a situation where the performer is not necessarily the focal point, elicit a noticeable (affirmative) rise from your listeners?
Ciao,
Jerry

#331001 - 08/28/11 03:59 PM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
A background gig is different...

I played last night for a 60th Class Reunion near Cincinnati, OH. I played standards and latin stuff for the first three hours. I sang and did vocals for a dance set at the end of the night. I felt it went well...this is my 6th or 7th engagement for this high school so word of mouth has been good to me.

Several folks stopped by on the way out with compliments...It wasn't just one tune, it was something different for everyone, I guess...

#331005 - 08/28/11 08:38 PM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Sweet Caroline or Tiny Bubbles

#331006 - 08/28/11 08:43 PM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: mikey_maestro]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks for the responses Bill and Mikey. I realize that there are tunes that have special appeal in different venues and in different parts of the country. I know that class reunions for grads in the late ‘50’s and early ‘60’s especially respond to tunes that they danced to during their high school days. I would think that there are particular tunes that elicit especially positive reactions in a mainly C&W settings and in venues that predominantly represent a specific ethnic group etc. I just thought it would interesting to learn what songs seem to work best in different settings. I love seeing the song lists that are posted here.
Ciao,
Jerry

Edited by Jerry T (08/28/11 08:45 PM)

#331007 - 08/28/11 09:57 PM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Jerry,
can't suggest what I'd play ( I don't perform), but I know what I luv listening to,
Perry Como, Dean Martin Tony Bennett, & not quite in the same vain, Johnny Mathis.

My Uncle used to play their records endlessly when I was a tiny tot. Still stops me in my tracks when one of their songs gets played on an oldies channel on the radio. They had such wonderful tunes.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#331009 - 08/29/11 02:01 AM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Chris de Burgh's Lady in red...

#331016 - 08/29/11 08:30 AM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I always get big smiles and a lot of lips moving when I do "Put Your Head on My Shoulder." And I can't go wrong with Sweet Caroline and Wonderful World. And when I tell people that Have I Told You Lately is one of my favorites and why, they seem to listen a little more attentively and appreciately.

#331018 - 08/29/11 09:11 AM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just performed a cocktail hour prior to a wedding and when I started to play "Moonlight Serenade" at least three couples actually started dancing!!! I've never had anyone dance at a cocktail hour previously as I'm really just there for background music.

We both applauded each other at the end of the song!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#331020 - 08/29/11 09:27 AM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: Jerry T]
Happy Birthday montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
"My Girl" seems to be well liked among the kids and adults.

"In the Mood" seems to always get the attention of a senior crowd.

Beatles tunes seem to have universal appeal.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#331021 - 08/29/11 09:32 AM Re: What tunes get a perceptible rise from listeners? [Re: mikey_maestro]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: mikey_maestro
Tiny Bubbles

yep, this one does it for me too,
and of course there's always got to be someone in the audience who
comes up to insist that I must be related to the late Don Ho grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online