SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#330306 - 08/12/11 11:45 AM It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I thought using an s-910 would hold me over till I see and play the Pa3x, but the main feature I require in a portable keyboard (loud, clean speakers)is MISSING. The speakers in this unit are so much softer and weaker than the PA800, I really can't hear squat in a club setting.

My objective has always been to hear the entire mix in my face and then, send an appropriate level to the house system, whatever that may be. (Usually my Bose) Right now, the sound is good, but I may as well have a silent slab and cart a monitor around. This is a drag - I've had that powerful monitor in my face for 20+ years now, and this keyboard's sound system just doesn't cut it. I'm forced to go to a separate monitor for my vocals, and I didn't want to have to do that.

As a singer, we need to hear very well on stage so we can adjust pitch, blend, harmony and a host of other parameters. Most of my work is in smaller venues, and the overall level is not that loud, but the vocals still need to be in my face for my highest comfort level. Monitoring through the house is fine in some places, but when the house has to come down lower than a certain number ... then my vocals get lost in the din of the room. I can't have that.

I'm not ripping the Yamaha - the sounds and patterns are good, and I knew the mic input was substandard when I bought it. I just thought that with a high quality outboard unit (TC voice live touch), I could pump it into the on board speakers and go right to work. No can do. In fact - the line inputs are not strong enough to handle the output of the TC unit, so I have to go into the mic preamp....and that's not the best case scenario.

I'm venting here ... not looking for answers, cause there are none.I just wanted to share a bit of my summer with the singers here.

On the bright side of summer - we had a professional photo shoot for my Mom's 80th birthday and here are my 4 beautiful adults! (not kids anymore!) I can't wait to see the real shot where they are looking at the camera - I took this with my phone.

Attachments
IMG_0040.jpg

#330307 - 08/12/11 11:53 AM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Great pic!

#330309 - 08/12/11 12:13 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Awesome looking family Dave. My mom will be 83 in November !

#330310 - 08/12/11 12:14 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Btw.. I agree with your speaker review. The PA80 speakers are awesome. Reminds me of the Solton MS60 but a little better.

#330312 - 08/12/11 12:24 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I thought using an s-910 would hold me over till I see and play the Pa3x, but the main feature I require in a portable keyboard (loud, clean speakers)is MISSING. The speakers in this unit are so much softer and weaker than the PA800, I really can't hear squat in a club setting.

Mmmmm...well David, here are the specs of S910 you should have looked at really hard before purchasing...

Amplifiers: 12W x 2

Speakers:(12 cm +4 cm(dome)) x2

Expecting these "home" environment speakers to be heard in a gig setting is probably asking too much.

Your old PA-800 (the one with the broken buttons ;)) had nearly twice the power, and according to you, it just made the grade ("adequate" was the term)..

Korg specs...

Amplification: 2 x 22 W
Speakers: 4 Speakers (10 cm Woofers + Tweeters)
2 way in Bass Reflex Box

Looks like you'll be needing another go at the Korg stuff...perhaps another PA-800?

Ian

BTW...very nice picture.

#330314 - 08/12/11 12:33 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Speakers on the MS-60...that' why I still use them (have two-continuous use since 1994), plus an SD-5 (same speakers/amplifiers).

Great family, "poppa" Dave.

R.

#330321 - 08/12/11 03:21 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

I knew you'd be sorry to dump the 800! The speakers are great. I wonder how much more powerful the 3x speakers are. Can anyone let me know your thoughts about that? I may just unload my 800 boards for a 3X. If they're 2x more powerful, it'd handle most of my jobs. I still love my K8's in stereo. Best purchase ever.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#330324 - 08/12/11 04:24 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanx for all the comments on my kiddies - they are the reason I have to work so much!

Ian, In order to get double the volume from an amp, you need to increase the power by 10 times, so twice the power equals just 10% increase in volume. This scenario is no where near that, and the real problem is how the aux and mic inputs handle (or DON'T) the signals pumped into them. No question that the Korg is aimed at a pro player, and I will most likely find my way back there again, but so far - I have not seen or heard the 3x.
Funny, even my antique Korg i5s used to handle my harmonizer and the keys at a respectable volume for a monitor.

I will try a few of the little stand mounts to see if I can reach a happy medium till ... whenever, but I really am disappointed. Yamaha really took a step backwards with the speakers. Too bad ... they used to sound better.

#330326 - 08/12/11 04:39 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
In order to get double the volume from an amp, you need to increase the power by 10 times, so twice the power equals just 10% increase in volume.

That is very true. The volume level difference between 14 and 22 watts is quite small. Gotta assume the significant difference is more due to the speaker system itself.

#330327 - 08/12/11 05:06 PM Re: It's NOT working !!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Uncle Dave]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I thought your buddy Don was happy with the S910. Didn't he warn you of the soft weak speakers? I would have thought a serious flaw such as this would have been mentioned at some point during breakfast. smile Anyway I can understand your frustration, but at about 1/2 the price of a Pro pa800, the MOTL S910 is a great deal, but can't be expected to provide as much on-board punch.

So what's your next move Dave? Do you still have the pa800?

BTW...nice photo, the kids look great, and look nothing like you. smile Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online