SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#330125 - 08/07/11 04:07 PM My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Here is a link to my video for my Farfisa Combo Organ.

Paul

#359563 - 01/26/13 05:56 AM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
SpclEd Offline

Loc: South Central USA
Brings back memories. Mine was the red case, early model.

Edited by SpclEd (01/26/13 05:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#359878 - 01/30/13 07:47 AM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
SpclEd Offline

I bought my Farfisa "Combo Compact" if memory serves me, circa 67 & have a lot of good memories fron that fine keyboard/organ & time. Eventually got a used B3 with a 145 Leslie and a Rhodes, thats when we were starting to get a footing around the Boston and north shore area. Seems like it was a lifetime ago smirk.

That B3, Leslie, etc., took longer to move and set up than our drummer who was using a double trap set a la Ginger Baker. Everyone wants to help the drummer, not the keyboard player, that stuff was too big and heavy! Needed an arranger/workstation back then. Then wouldn't need the bass, rhythm... rotfl oh to be 20ish again and not stupid! The Farfisa was a lot easier to move but never went back that way.

Looking forward to seeing the video from the way back machine, I still get an error.

Edited by SpclEd (01/30/13 08:02 AM)

#361578 - 02/17/13 07:37 PM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
My band has just started playing "Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley. The organ used in this was a Farfisa.

#361579 - 02/17/13 07:46 PM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: SpclEd]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: SpclEd
Eventually got a used B3 with a 145 Leslie and a Rhodes

That is an aweome keyboard setup to play ... what a sound.

#361580 - 02/17/13 07:49 PM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: analogcontrolfreak
Okay Ed, here is a new video on my Farfisa organ. On my second new channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQYLUqZ3E2I

Paul

Great clip Paul. Thanks so much for providing this.

#361603 - 02/18/13 02:12 AM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: Nigel]
SpclEd Offline

I was able to see the video this time, no prob. It was just such a cool concept in its day. That model looks like a later model than mine. But I'm not betting on my brain cells from 67-69 being all that clear. smoke Mine was red and black, and I do not recall if the grey/ black was a later model or a different one. Mine was called The "Farfisa Combo Compact" & was a dream to pack and move. SKB, Gator, etc. would have not been happy with that!

I opened the unit just to see how it worked. Each note had a discrete component (transistors, caps, resistors, etc, ) circuit for its 'tone generator' and the panel switches were wired to each to change its tone. Eventually the first Moogs used a similar circuit with the external knobs and switches to adjust the tone/sound envelop, if i remember thats what they called it. It sounded pretty 'thin' from what I recall but that may be my YouTube & ipad. My 1st Light My Fire/the Long Version was played on that. I memorized it note for note. Can still do a respectable solo with LMF. Soul Kitchen, Shes Not There, bunch of blues we called originals (with words). Boy I'm getting old & this is triggering some flashbacks! We didn't play Dave Clk 5, or Paul Rvre & the Raidrs much but I think they both used a Farfisa at one time.

Good post, really brings me back to how, when & why I got the passion to play for a crowd. Seeing that Farfisa really opens up a lot of good times & memories I had let slip. I paid right around $550.- for it brand new, and that's probably within $25.- accurate. $550- in '67. That was a chunk of money back then.

Thanks for the post I'm really having flash backs to long hair, Nero Jackets, and bell bottoms! The long hair at the time covered a lot more of my head !

Edited by SpclEd (02/18/13 02:34 AM)

#361604 - 02/18/13 03:03 AM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]

You Guys, are welcome!

#361727 - 02/18/13 03:26 PM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]

He Nigel, How do I get a YouTube video to appear on here, and not just the link?

Paul

#361745 - 02/18/13 09:16 PM Re: My Farfisa Combo Compact Organ [Re: analogcontrolfreak]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Paul, when you reply there is a Media Tag button ( 5th to the right ) abiove the reply box that you can click to select Youtube Video. If you have popups disabled you may have to select "Temporarily Allow Popups" then press the Media Tag button a second time.

Then the video will show up in a window. I just edited your first post for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online