SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33002 - 05/23/03 07:38 AM Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
I have posted this before a couple of times, and even sent midi files and mp3's to people showing them how it's supposed to be working, but I have never got an answer. I might just give up using the internal vocalizer and switch to a TC helicon or something.

Wat the hell though. I'll give it one more shot and see if anyone thinks they have the know how to expain this problem.

I have just given up actually because even the so called "experts" at the store couldn't help me.

I'm going to spell this out as clearly as i can, and please don't think I'm trying to be patronizing, I just want to be certain everyone gets exactly what I'm saying. I would REALLY love to solve this problem:

Ok, does everyone understand what the "pitch bend" function is supposed to do?

According to the manual, it will allow the voice to slide up or down whatever type of setting you give it, as in a half-tone (semi-tone) or a full tone. Same function that happens with a guitar or sax when you use the wheel.

My old vocalizer (Korg IH) worked perfectly in that regard. I have many midi files that have vocalizer tracks already laid out and work fine in all regards EXCEPT the pitch bend.

It simply doesn't work.

It doesn't matter if it's a semi-tone or a full tone, it sounds more like it's trying to do the wha wha on it and even if it does settle on a note, it's not the correct one. Lets say I'm singing a middle C and the pitch bend is supposed to slide the note down from an A to a G and then up to Bb and holding there. It will sound like it's sliding the G note down a full octave, and then shoot it up to a high D. Ironically if I switch the vocalizer track to an instrument like a guitar, it works perfectly.

I have a song relatively similar to the description above. Anyone who knows the Linda Ronstadt song "When will I be loved" will hear at the very end of the song a harmony line that goes up and down and around and finally ends on one note while the lead singer simply holds a single tone. Works FINE on my IH.

so can ANYONE possibly explain to me what the hell is wrong with this thing? And by the way, yes the pitch bend has been turned off AND on, and the modulation has been too, and in various combinations. I tried everything to resolve it and have had no luck. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Kendall

------------------
http://members.rogers.com/unison

#33003 - 05/25/03 09:04 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Well well. What a surprise. No answer after three days.

You'd think I asked something incredibly technical. Why this is such a difficult question is beyond me. I guess I have to go back to my old IH which is like TEN years old for this amazingly complex pitch bend technology. Sheesh.

Now I know why Roel uses it still.

Cheers all.

#33004 - 05/27/03 05:22 PM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Kendall ,

I forwarded your post to Ketron Italy . Someone will contact you , if they haven't already . If your email address has changed recently , please email me , so that I can forward information . Dano

keyboardcity@yahoo.com

#33005 - 05/27/03 05:53 PM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Thanks Dan. I hate to sound so bitchy, but I'm really frustrated over this.

I just wish there was some support in my own city.

#33006 - 05/28/03 08:13 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:
Thanks Dan. I hate to sound so bitchy, but I'm really frustrated over this.

I just wish there was some support in my own city.

I was told by Sandro that you are correct about the pitch bend . He told me that the Sd1 can do it , however it's default for pitch bend is ste at an octave and not a single note . You will recieve a solution via email. Dan

#33007 - 05/29/03 03:18 PM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

That's GREAT. Thank you.

Just to be sure, my two email addresses are :

Unison@rogers.com

justforfun000ca@yahoo.ca

#33008 - 05/31/03 07:48 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:

That's GREAT. Thank you.

Just to be sure, my two email addresses are :

Unison@rogers.com

justforfun000ca@yahoo.ca

Please send an email to :
sandro@ketron.it and keyboardcity@yahoo.com

I think he has the wrong email address .

#33009 - 05/31/03 09:10 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Just did. Thanks a lot Dan. Can't wait to see what the solution is.

#33010 - 06/03/03 06:00 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Update to this problem. Soon everything will work properly. YAYYYYYYY. (Hey Roel, soon you may not need the IH after all. Now the hiss in mine is gone COMPLETELY. After I have the pitch bend function, I'll have it all again.)
Here's the email I got:

Hi Kendall,

your observation with the Vocalizer was correct.
In fact the Vocalizer into the Midi file was working unproperly with a range
of +/-12. Now with the Update 4.0B this has been fixed allowing a normal
Pitch Bend operation on Vocalizer too.
In case you have an original SD1 ( without the 4.0a Update ) you can take
profit of the SD1ORG Release, which offers you all the new software
implementations while keeping the original Sounds.

Thanks for cooperation

Sandro Fontanella

#33011 - 06/03/03 06:05 AM Re: Well apparently this SD1 problem is impossible to explain
justforfun000 Offline

Uhhh, anyone know what he means about this though?

"you can take
profit of the SD1ORG Release"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online