SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#329403 - 07/25/11 01:17 AM Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I found this headline on Facebook early this morning:

"Stop the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) from banning the Word 'God' from Military Funerals"

The long and short of this appears to involve the Director of Houston National Cemetery, Arleen Ocasio, who has allegedly "banned" the use of God during Military Funerals. Finding this to be more than a little outrageous, I dug deeper. Here's what I've learned from some quick research...

1) The matter appears to have begun about a year ago when a family burying a loved one had specifically requested no references to Christianity be used on the grave marker.

2) There are volunteers called the "Memorial Ladies" who assist the Cemetery during its many Military Funerals. Apparently, members of this group, in offering its condolences used the word God and the family involved was offended and complained to the Facility.

3) Director Ocasio instructed the volunteers to...

Read more... Reasonable Conversation

#329409 - 07/25/11 04:51 AM Re: Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Read the entire blog. Well said. Nothing irks me more than people shoving their religion down someone else's throat. We've seen over and over again where that ultimately leads; from the Crusades to (most recently) Norway. And let's not have any of this "this is a Christian nation" BS. This is supposed to be a 'free choice' nation, including atheisism. Let's keep it that way.

BTW Bill, I still can't figure out how to post a comment on the blog. I don't subscibe to any social network sites.

chas

#329414 - 07/25/11 06:39 AM Re: Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals? [Re: cgiles]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Chas-There's a drop down window next to the comment box...click on it and select "anonymous." Then comment however you wish. You can then do something like this:

"....blah, blah, blah..."

Chas

Just write out a name or handle or something...

Let me know if that works for you...

Thanks for reading...

#329418 - 07/25/11 08:05 AM Re: Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
No luck. Do I need to be a member and sign in?

chas

#329424 - 07/25/11 09:40 AM Re: Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I agree with both of you.

Taike

#329428 - 07/25/11 10:37 AM Re: Is the VA banning the use of God during Funerals? [Re: cgiles]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
No luck. Do I need to be a member and sign in?

chas

Most people just sign up for a free google email account. Some don't even use it, but the user name allows you to comment on all the google blogs...You just sign in and voila...you're set...

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online