SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#328181 - 07/06/11 04:17 AM Tyros 4 EQ and Compressor settings
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
While I know the speakers used and individual taste plays the biggest part of this, I am interested in seeing what others are using for their EQ and compressor settings. It would probably be good to say what you are using for speakers.

I am especially interested in those playing at moderate to loud volume when performing.

Having had limited time spent on this, and that the compressor settings are different than the T2, I am wanting to get a general feel for what others are doing, the issues or problems they are running into in various settings and situations.

I like to run my keyboard with a "hot" sound. I am using the classic V or smile for EQ. It seems that when I set things up so the band sounds the way I like, the solo instruments can get kind of harsh or too brilliant.

This has happened with all previous keyboards, and I have tended to then tone down some of the voices. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Like to hear your thoughts on this.

Best
Scott

#328203 - 07/06/11 09:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 EQ and Compressor settings [Re: Scott Langholff]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Hi Scott,

I turn my Compressor off on the Tyros 4, I like that added dynamic range, which the comrpess seems to tame . Also the Eq settings will always change according to room and speakers. I believe in boosting only lower frequencies, since usually boosting highers freq tend to give you that harshness.

imop

Frank

#328271 - 07/07/11 04:34 PM Re: Tyros 4 EQ and Compressor settings [Re: Scott Langholff]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Interesting response so far eek Frank, from where I bought the T4, I had emailed and he posted the answer here.

I have a skeleton outline of what those controls are all about on the T4 compressor from someone local, (a freind from GC), who has used compressors for piano, one of the tougher voices to keep sounding good from what I understand.

Here's the info:

Threshold, the most important factor. Has to do when does the volume threshold begin.

Ratio, once volume passes threshold, divided by what ratio is. Pushes volume down.

Threshold divided by Ratio

Gain Offset, allows to make up volume lost. Soft will be louder and loud note will be softer.

For EQ, if highs and lows are boosted may compress sooner.

Keep high EQ down.

Start testing with preset type, probably Basic. Then Threshold. Ratio up compressing more beyond threshold.

Avoid low extreme in Threshold. Avoid high setting in Ratio.

Gain should be in red only when really hammering the notes.

If anybody else has any good input it would be great to see it. Yamaha has kind of left us in the lurch with scanty info in the manual.

Best
Scott

Edited by Scott Langholff (07/07/11 04:41 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online