SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#327223 - 06/25/11 07:57 AM Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You meet a lot of very interesting, wonderful people while playing the NH, assisted living, and retirement community circuit. Some are famous, some not so famous, but they all enjoy the entertainment we provide. I've met retired judges, governors, mayors, bankers, corporate giants, many, many musicians, and some regular folks that no longer have the ability to live on their own because of physical limitations. Each of these facilities is a community into itself. They have resident councils, which usually consists of a cross section of folks that provide input to the facility staff pertaining to many facets of the overall operation. In some instances, the resident council determines who will regularly provide entertainment, and who will not.

Some individuals on this forum mistakenly believe that those of us who work the NH circuit have never performed with a live band, or don't have the talent to perform with a live band. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In reality, the vast majority of us HAVE performed in bands, often playing instruments other than an arranger keyboard.

Some, such as my piano-playing friend Joe Ayala, performed with several top stars in the entertainment world. If I recall correctly, Bill Corfield was also a piano player prior to switching to an arranger keyboard. DNJ was working with a band as an accordion player when he was very young. As a young man, Don Mason was an outstanding trumpet player, but now prefers the versatility of an arranger keyboard. I was a solo guitar player and singer at age 20, playing smoke-filled bars and nite-clubs until the wee hours of the morning. I eventually started a country band that grew to five pieces and stayed relatively busy until the early 1980s when I became a full-time outdoor writer. Back then, I still played an occasional weekend job, but not on a regular basis.

For the most part, nearly every person I've run into over the years that works the NH circuit is an extremely talented musician/entertainer. A significant number of them have been professionally trained, many have won musical awards, some have nationally published albums, and they all have one thing in common--they love what they do. Most make a fairly good living, and like most entertainers, I suspect they'll continue to perform as long as they have the wherewithal to do so.

My first senior oriented job was in the mid 1980s, when an assistant director of a senior center came to me during a private party and asked if I would be available for a one-hour performance at a local center's luncheon. We agreed on $50 for the job, I arrived early and set up my gear. The room was elegantly decorated, crisp-linen tablecloths, flowered center-pieces, silverware, etc.. I could never in a million years have anticipated what was in store for me that day.

The doors opened, and people ranging in age from 60 to 90 swarmed into the hall. It was 12-noon and they were dressed as if they were attending an evening banquet and dance. The lights were dimmed, there was a relatively large dance-floor surrounded by the dining tables, and the atmosphere was perfect for dining and dancing. When I introduced myself the entire room fell silent, while more than 100 sets of eyes stared at the band--ME! It was a bit intimidating to say the least. The very fist song I played and sang was "As Time Goes By," which immediately filled the dance-floor with folks that were still agile enough to get up and dance. At the end of the hour the AD asked if I would continue to play for another 30 minutes or so. I ended up doing another hour, and she paid me an additional $50.

That was a long ago, but I can still vividly recall that day. Now, I'm confident that my story is no different than any other entertainer that works the NH circuit on a full time basis. The vast majority of us have worked the nite-club, restaurant, bar circuit, put up with drunks and cigarette smoke, endured low pay, got home at 3 a.m., and at the time, loved every minute of it.

Now, we perform for people from all walks of life, and as Deane Peters (Hammer) said, you just never know who will be in the audience. The one thing you can be assured of is that they'll be courteous, fun-loving individuals who enjoy good music. They're not forced to be there--they want to be there.

Would I ever go back to the Nite-Club circuit? Probably not. Sure, I still fill in for friends once in a while who are having health issues, but the pay is still lousy. Fortunately, you no longer have to put up with cigarette smoke, the audiences are a bit younger, and by and large, they don't know how to dance. When it's an older crowd I still pack the dance-floor, but getting home at 2 a.m. is not something I enjoy.

Today's job is a little different than most. It's a poolside job that begins at 5 p.m. at a marina, a 60th birthday party for a Polish immigrant who keeps his boat next to mine. The guests will include several people from Poland, plus some from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Germany and Cuba. The music will have to be diverse,upbeat, I'll have to sing songs in several languages, plus put up with the challenges of an outdoor performance using an arranger keyboard. Should be a fun day--especially for us old timers.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#327238 - 06/25/11 10:48 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

I enjoyed reading your post, Gary. I'm impressed with singing songs in different languages. I had opportunities to learn French, Italian, Greek, and Russian, but I only learned to make a decent Thousand Island.

I definitely enjoy doing the senior circuit here in the Chicago area.

I like the appreciation I get, that most of my gigs are during the morning and then at 2:00 or 2:30 p.m. I like the smoke free environment. I enjoy delivering clean one-liners between songs.

Frankly, business has been more challenging the past two years. I've been able to raise my rates somewhat, but I'm also working a little bit less because of the economy. The skyrocketing cost of self-employed health care (my premiums have doubled in 3 years) and the high price of gas (even though I drive a rather economical mid-sized car) take a bite out of my bottom line for sure.

Still, it's a lot of fun, and I'm keeping pretty busy. I've got three shows this weekend.

There are definitely a fair share of very talented musicians in the senior circuit. With the diminishing amount of opportunities performing in theaters, orchestras, and at clubs - because of the economy, a lot of very talented musicians make their way into the senior circuit. I'm always working on my chops to stay one step ahead.

#327241 - 06/25/11 11:10 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I don't get why people are putting down the guys who perform at NH. A gig is a gig - doesn't matter if it's a dance hall, pub, stadium or a shed! Even if you are playing for thousands or ten - the job is still the same. You still have to put out the energy and the effort to entertain. If you are a really shitty player - you will not get more gigs. But if you are booked again and again - people like what you do, so you must be doing something right.

I will play for anyone, anytime, and anywhere - I will give it my best effort regardless of what the venue is.

Don't be hating on other folks gigs, if they get the jobs - they got the chops!

It is as pointless as claiming that one genre is worth more than another - which is bs.

The bottom line is music is music, players are players, there is no contest to find out who or what is the best - I mean how to do you even messure that?

All you guys out there playing, keep at it, and don't let anyone put you down for doing what you do!

DocZ

#327243 - 06/25/11 11:17 AM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

“A true friend laughs at your stories even when they're not so good, and sympathizes with your troubles even when they're not so bad”

#327246 - 06/25/11 12:11 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Its a great match for me.

I've been told I have a skill for bringing something others don't to a NH performance. I rarely get to hear other performers so its hard for me to comment. The few I've met have mostly seemed like good guys. A few are destroying their reputations and eventually their client lists if they don't get over themselves. (That's a story for another day...)

As the song goes, "I like old people." In some ways, the music is almost secondary to how I interact with the residents. I'm told often that somehow I walk in once a month and fit in with the residents like I'm there every day. That's a huge component of my NH work. I start "entertaining" from the moment I hit the door. It puts people at ease, makes them feel important and seems to give a lift to the whole activity.

For many of the same reasons Gary cited, its just what I prefer to be doing musically. I'm lucky in SW Ohio to have a diverse enough list of clients that I can be playing for a largely minority/urban crowd doing some old R&B stuff one day and the next find myself in hard core farmland where all they want is old time country and plenty of gospel. The next day, it may be a wealthy suburb where I play mostly jazz standards. It never seems to get old, it stays fresh.

Financially, this also makes more sense than almost anything else I've done musically, with the exception of jingles back in Pittsburgh when I was younger.

There's also less BS to be dealt with. Which is good, lol...

#327258 - 06/25/11 03:30 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: Bill in Dayton]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Everyone here knows I won't play nursing homes or assisted living facilities...EVER!

But that does not mean that I think the players who do are less talented or that the jobs are any less than legitimate.

I enjoyed reading the above. Keep it up.

My objections are focused on the management of "for profits" and the terrible record they have in caring for residents. Believe me, this is not a regional problem, it it a national one.

They fight ANY and ALL efforts at setting standards. For instance, next time you're in a facility to play, check out teeth. Yes, I said teeth. Oral care is virtually non-existent. Over a few years, the residents with teeth gradually lose them; usually in a drawn out-painful process, due to neglect. Oral infections lead to all kinds of other serious issues.

The residents need you guys to bring a little light into their worlds. I'm glad you do what you do.

Just do me a favor. When you're out there, take a look at staffing numbers, training, the use of sedatives, especially on week-ends to calm down the residents and use fewer employees. Ask about back-ground checks for residents. Check the last state inspection.

Believe me, you probably won't like what you see.

Their lobby is strong and well-funded. To the really bad ones, I am proud of my reputation as "the enemy".

In this state, I'm embarrassed about the way the 23,000 "forgotten Kentuckians" (residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities) are neglected.

And I hope my legacy is that I will be remembered as having done something about the problem.

R.

PS. Google Kentuckian For Nursing Home Reform to see what I'm up to, regarding this serious matter. And check out the video interview of the founder, Bernie Vanderheide (who produced that film and music, anyway)?

#327262 - 06/25/11 04:25 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: captain Russ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Russ,
I play nothing but the senior venues but I can add to your concerns and also have some feelings of frustration with many of the places I play.

Most of my venues have 200-400 residents at roughly a going price of $6500.00 per resident monthly if they need no special care. It goes up drastically if special care is required. These are the same places that gripe about paying an entertainer once a month - go figure.

But here is my latest and most angry gripe. Last month my Mother-In-Law nearly died and is currently in a "Rehab" center after being released from the hospital. She is 94 on July 4th this year and Medicare is paying for her stay for the first 20 days - I have no idea what they are billing medicare for the first 20 days. Now for the kicker - if after the first 20 days she can't be released she can stay another 80 days for which Medicare will pay 80%. My co-pay for that extra stay will be $141.50 a day!!! Do the math - this amounts to almost $22,000.00 total for a month!! Then I find out if she must stay there for more then a total of 100 days the total cost monthly for her, after Medicare runs out, will be about $4200.00. Are they kidding!

You want to know why Medicare and Medicaid is in trouble this is it. We were told this amount is the rate Medicare approves - my gosh what a racket. All she gets is a bed in which to sleep, 3 meals daily, physical therapy daily, and a call button to press if she needs anything. She has no phone but does have a TV and shares a room with another resident.

So yes Russ, I completely understand how you feel and why - it is the biggest rip-off of tax dollars going. How many of these places must there be in the US doing the same thing?

Deane

Edited by hammer (06/25/11 04:27 PM)

#327263 - 06/25/11 04:32 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Actually elderly care - or lack therof - is not a national problem, it is a global problem. It is the same story over here. For those that are lucky enough to live in nursing homes, they get to enjoy cat food, sedatives and overworked staff.

For the rest that are living at home, getting home care. They get 15 minutes of care, that should be enough for daily hygiene, opening the mail, cooking dinner, and cleaning the home.

It is a shame the way the people we inherit our societies from that we don't treat them with more respect and dignity. It scares me that I someday might be in the same situation - I hope this trend will take a turn for the better, because they deserve a hell of a lot more than what they are given. And anyone who is willing to give of their own time and effort - to try to help give these poor people some kind of hope, or at least a recess from their daily routine to breath is a hero in my book.

DocZ

#327266 - 06/25/11 04:38 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

We can only blame ourselves....the people who make the laws are VOTED into office by the people, then they complain about what is going on?..........this is where change must take place before anything can be done.

#327267 - 06/25/11 04:45 PM Re: Why Do You Play The Nursing Home Circuit? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny and Doc,

Actually, the care my Mother-In-Law gets is pretty good and the place is super clean and well run. Like all places my wife and I have had to have several "come to Jesus" talks with a few of the staff members before we got a few things settled. But my gosh - how can they justify charging anyone $707.50 a day!

deane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online