SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#325940 - 06/05/11 11:44 AM OT: New Respect for NH Employees
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
For the past 6 years I have played gigs at senior venues ranging from very exclusive retirement communities to poorly funded nursing home environments. Mostly I have come and gone - played the gig and left.

During the past two weeks my wife and I have been at a "nursing home" facility where my mother-in-law had to be admitted. We have been spending upwards of 12 hours daily here and I have learned more than I ever wished to know about these places.

The only up side to this is I remembered to bring my equipment with me and have been playing daily for whoever wanted to show up. I was supplied with a cart and I even visited several rooms for people who are no longer mobile. I think in the future each and every single gig I play will take on a new meaning for me and I will be very proud to be in the presence of these folks whose life has passed them by and whose only joy in life is now the memories of their past.

I have sat and talked with people barely able to speak, played card games with gentleman who can't tell you their name, brought smiles to the faces of a few people who have very little to be happy about.

Count your blessings folks - but for the will of God this could be you or me. The next time you are bored and looking for something to do - give some thought to visiting a local senior home and make some friends.

Deane

#325941 - 06/05/11 12:09 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: hammer]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Deane

That was a very nice read....Well said !!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#325942 - 06/05/11 12:38 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: hammer]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Good stuff...

#325943 - 06/05/11 12:41 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Deane, I have a very healthy respect for people like you who play and entertain at NH"s. It takes, not only a skilled player, but also a person competent in dealing with people in those circumstances.

Great post, Deane, and keep up the good work.

Ian

#325945 - 06/05/11 02:40 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: hammer]
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Originally Posted By: hammer
For the past 6 years I have played gigs at senior venues ranging from very exclusive retirement communities to poorly funded nursing home environments. Mostly I have come and gone - played the gig and left.

During the past two weeks my wife and I have been at a "nursing home" facility where my mother-in-law had to be admitted. We have been spending upwards of 12 hours daily here and I have learned more than I ever wished to know about these places.

The only up side to this is I remembered to bring my equipment with me and have been playing daily for whoever wanted to show up. I was supplied with a cart and I even visited several rooms for people who are no longer mobile. I think in the future each and every single gig I play will take on a new meaning for me and I will be very proud to be in the presence of these folks whose life has passed them by and whose only joy in life is now the memories of their past.

I have sat and talked with people barely able to speak, played card games with gentleman who can't tell you their name, brought smiles to the faces of a few people who have very little to be happy about.

Count your blessings folks - but for the will of God this could be you or me. The next time you are bored and looking for something to do - give some thought to visiting a local senior home and make some friends.

Deane

Wow, you are surely one in a million. God Bless YOU. Bebop Bill

#325975 - 06/06/11 05:29 AM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: BEBOP]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
You are truly making this world a better place Mr. Hammer.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#326081 - 06/07/11 01:59 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You're a good man, Deane. I'm involved in nursing home reform, but that only makes me appreciate volunteers, employees and family members who diligently visit and interact with residents.

Sadly, over-all, the "for profit" nursing home industry is pretty pathetic.

Be well,

Russ

#326099 - 06/07/11 06:26 PM Re: OT: New Respect for NH Employees [Re: hammer]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Deane this is something I discovered a long time ago. It is rare today that I get out of a facility after a gig without visiting at least a couple of rooms. The staff at the places I perform are very good about letting me know which residents aren't well enough to come to the show and I always stop by their room on the way out. Most of the time when they pass I am called and I'm usually involved in the funeral/memorial service one way or another. Yes, this is part of my living today, but it is and always has been a ministry that I'm priveleged to be a part of.

Joe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online