SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >
Topic Options
#325654 - 06/01/11 04:36 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No Ian, I didn't say the Ketron sounded better than the G70..I referred to the video demo posted (Ketron,Yamaha, Korg)....I still like the G70 drums because they are completely editable.and sound like real drums,,but even smile..and BTW: the BK series doesn't sound better than the G70 smile

What I don't like about the Ketron boards..SMF playback...same with the Previous Yamaha models (Haven't heard the Tyros4 yet..playing a sequence)....I still am convinced that Roland still rules in SMF play..

#325655 - 06/01/11 04:37 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: kbrkr]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
This is an old video and an old thread/topic. I'm not going to be baited into a pissing contest.

+1

#325656 - 06/01/11 04:41 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: Dnj]
Tonewheeldude Offline

on purpose i minimized the window as soon as it played and I am going to copy and paste below exactly what I wrote whilst they played:

First of all, SMF's dont do it for me, but this is a pretty good one, a little slow though.

The first keyboard is very good and I was expecting it too sound lifeless due to the SMF but it was suprisingly life like. I am thinking...please dont let this be the Tyros!! Nice rich bass, lovely brass section samples and superb baritone. Not a nice guide voice though. Very good balance on the DSP giving it a live sound.

The second, also very good but why is someone winding a clock up through most of the track???? Putting that very off putting clock winder aside it sounded fine and the latin Piano is nice, poor lead voice though and the baritone is farting. Nice tuned Tomms and the DSP is good, but it sounds like its recorded in an emptry ballroom.

The third keyboard. What is this??? I only got half way through ..it is totally uninspiring.

So...

Then I checked back at the video and I was very suprised by the results. I was very dissapointed by the Korg as I have always liked their gear and expected it to be better than the Tyros. The big blow to me was that as an SMF player the Tyros sounded almost as good as the Audya except for the stupid clock which seems to have no bearing on the rest of the percussion section!

I also listened to the Roland afterward. But for me (and i realise everyone hears things differently) its so, so cold, there is no heart or soul in it. Its funny because there is nothing wrong with the sound...its just there is something missing..like I said it lacks soul.

Here is your benchmark to all three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqaNMcphCSw

listen to that and then go back and listen to the SMF and see which sounds most like it.

Edited by Tonewheeldude (06/01/11 04:43 PM)

#325657 - 06/01/11 04:41 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: Dnj]
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Well, Donnie dupped us with it first since no one really researched the video until Neils did and found it was a T3 not a T4 and I found it was over 2 years old.

So, I retract my opinion for now until someone can do a video with all the current line of TOTL and include the BK-7m for comparison. Thing is, like Ian said, there's still too much chance of it being fixed. We don't even know if the original video had enhancements done on each KB to change the sound.
All I say is "Good one DNJ"!!

Edited by vin5451 (06/01/11 04:47 PM)
Edit Reason: correction

#325659 - 06/01/11 04:46 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
No Ian, I didn't say the Ketron sounded better than the G70..I referred to the video demo posted (Ketron,Yamaha, Korg)....

I know you didn't say that, Fran, but it seemed to be the consensus in this thread.

I think it's great the G-70 works for your needs, and it's a shame that the BK-7M didn't work out for you, as, at least more than a few of us thought it had more detail in the sound and styles than the G-70.

But, again, if the G-70 does the trick, then at least you are out of the loop for needing to buy the latest and greatest, although, unless Roland comes out with a new TOTL arranger (highly unlikely according to the rep), if you had to replace your present main arranger, your choices would be limited to the big three, Ketron, Yamaha and Korg.

I think the G-70 sounds great for what you are doing with it. Not so sure it would be as versatile as the Tyros4 in doing many different genres equally well, but for the range and type of music you play, it seems more than adequate.

What are you going to buy with all this money you've saved? wink

Ian

#325661 - 06/01/11 04:53 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
No Ian, I didn't say the Ketron sounded better than the G70..I referred to the video demo posted (Ketron,Yamaha, Korg)....

I know you didn't say that, Fran, but it seemed to be the consensus in this thread.

I think it's great the G-70 works for your needs, and it's a shame that the BK-7M didn't work out for you, as, at least more than a few of us thought it had more detail in the sound and styles than the G-70.

But, again, if the G-70 does the trick, then at least you are out of the loop for needing to buy the latest and greatest, although, unless Roland comes out with a new TOTL arranger (highly unlikely according to the rep), if you had to replace your present main arranger, your choices would be limited to the big three, Ketron, Yamaha and Korg.

I think the G-70 sounds great for what you are doing with it. Not so sure it would be as versatile as the Tyros4 in doing many different genres equally well, but for the range and type of music you play, it seems more than adequate.

What are you going to buy with all this money you've saved? wink

Ian

Waffles with icecream and strawberries... clap

#325662 - 06/01/11 04:58 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: vin5451]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: vin5451
Well, Donnie dupped us with it first since no one really researched the video until Neils did and found it was a T3 not a T4 and I found it was over 2 years old.

So, I retract my opinion for now until someone can do a video with all the current line of TOTL and include the BK-7m for comparison. Thing is, like Ian said, there's still too much chance of it being fixed. We don't even know if the original video had enhancements done on each KB to change the sound.

Hmmmmmmmm?..dupped/......

I never stated Tyros 4 in my OP... "Ketron, Yamaha, KORG comparisons."

#325663 - 06/01/11 04:59 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: vin5451]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: vin5451

Yep, Donny got us all with that one, Vince, and I'm sincerely hoping that no one did anything to enhance the instruments, especially the Korg, which was very disappointing, even to Korg enthusiasts.

All these instruments can sound awesome, especially played "live" in style play, which is the way they really should be played, in my opinion.

With any of these top line arrangers, the right settings, and the proper use of effects and EQ would make it sound incredible.

Thankfully, I don't use SMF, so none of this really matters to me that much, but it would be interesting to see an objective comparison of the latest top of the line, the Tyros4, the PA3Xpro, the Audya (with the latest OS) done on video using the same SMF and the same method of recording each arranger.

But, I think we may have to wait awhile for that to happen...if ever.

Ian

#325665 - 06/01/11 05:06 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Waffles with icecream and strawberries... clap

That is so cool...that's exactly what I had tonight for supper..with crispy bacon on the side, and, a cuppa tea.

Ian

#325666 - 06/01/11 05:10 PM Re: Audya - Tyros - KORG SMF test comparison.. [Re: Dnj]
vin5451 Offline

Loc: Wellington, Fl USA
Ho-boy, now I want some too.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online