SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#325566 - 06/01/11 10:11 AM Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I found this article on Sunny Rollins very inspirational:

AGE can be unkind enough to musicians just in physical terms. Then there is what Sonny Rollins refers to as "the burden of experience", which must be a substantial weight, given that the saxophonist is now 80. But for Rollins, one of the most important players in jazz history, age is like a difficult melodic figure, just another obstacle in the quest for musical perfection.

"I've had some constraints of that sort," he says on the telephone from New Orleans, the day after performing there. "But I don't let things like that affect me. I do something else. It's like a baseball pitcher who used to be a fastball pitcher, then when he gets older he becomes what we call a junk-ball pitcher: he throws all different kinds of pitches that he's learnt will be effective. So I don't let things like that impede my progress. I'm a great believer in mind over matter. I practise my instrument every day, I'm writing music. I always want to do better. But I just feel that there's no time now not to do better. I have to do better."

About to make his second visit to Australia, Rollins oozes old-world graciousness, even if his voice now finally betrays the passing years. The fact that he has outlived nearly all of his peers and has been at the forefront of jazz for 60 years has created a colossal reputation that could be another weight, a luxury, or an irrelevancy to him.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#325571 - 06/01/11 10:54 AM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great post, Paul.

Having had the honor of an afternoon arranger clinic with the late, great, Oscar Peterson, I can attest to his similar attitude to Sonny's...Oscar was forever fascinated and appreciative of technology, but he still exuded the same "old world" graciousness that Sonny shows.

I saw a recent video clip about Sonny (it might have been posted here) that illustrated his views on life and music.

A great man, and a legendary player.

Ian

#325576 - 06/01/11 11:52 AM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Paul, thanks for the tidbit on Rollins...one of the greats, and one of my all-time favorites.

R.

#325579 - 06/01/11 12:11 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

The man is a living legend and he is definitely not resting on his laurels. He is still trying to improve!

Originally Posted By: montunoman
I practise my instrument every day, I'm writing music. I always want to do better. But I just feel that there's no time now not to do better. I have to do better."

#325582 - 06/01/11 12:32 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Mr. Rollins shares what music 'is about' for him. rocker
Nothing about making $ or how many gigs he's got.
We can all learn from him. clap

Sonny Rollins Speaks! :

#325583 - 06/01/11 12:36 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

I guess so if your into jazz...not all people are.

#325584 - 06/01/11 12:42 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Nothing about making $ or how many gigs he's got.
We can all learn from him.

Scott,

Those of us who play simply for the love of playing, never really get rich, although, as they say, "Do what you love, and the money will come".

Doesn't matter if it's Jazz, Pop, Country, Latin...whatever.

I just want enough money to survive. Playing has never been about the money.

Sonny's philosophy is simple, and, it works, but, you already know that. wink

Ian

#325587 - 06/01/11 12:47 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Those of us who play simply for the love of playing, never really get rich,
although, as they say, "Do what you love, and the money will come".

Doesn't matter if it's Jazz, Pop, Country, Latin...whatever.
Ian, well said ! clap

#325588 - 06/01/11 12:51 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I guess so if your into jazz...not all people are.

I see your point, however considering he's 80 years old and is a icon (in the jazz world) and he is still trying to improve his art, I'd would say was inspirational. It wouldn't matter to me if he was a rocker,country artist or polka player, I get inspired by people that seek continued self improvement.

#325599 - 06/01/11 01:39 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Everyone in music is inspired by many different things as is what creating music is all about...it's is how you perceive and absorb then through that be able to accomplish great things.

#325607 - 06/01/11 02:04 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

it's is how you perceive and absorb then through that be able to accomplish great things.

Donny: This indeed sounds very 'deep'. cool2

#325610 - 06/01/11 02:13 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
No question, the life of a jazzman is ROUGH! Most people don't understand it and, therefore, don't like it. Pay is low, and, in my experience, it is the most competitive music form out there. In
many types of music, you have to be an adequate musician to work. In jazz, you have to be the best, or you "ain't got a shot".

Rollins is a superb player/composer/human. In his field, constant improvement and experimentation is part of the routine.

He's a fine roll model for all people...musicians and others.

Thanks again, Paul,

Russ

#325612 - 06/01/11 02:22 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee
it's is how you perceive and absorb then through that be able to accomplish great things.

Donny: This indeed sounds very 'deep'. cool2

Scott sorry for leaking some of my most inner thoughts on music cool2 ...it's my life and I'm very proud of it.
I am truly blessed.

#325616 - 06/01/11 02:28 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Dnj]
Scottyee Offline

Scott sorry for leaking some of my most inner thoughts on music
Hey pal, why be sorry? Everyone's thoughts shared here are appreciated. thanks. smile

#325619 - 06/01/11 02:33 PM Re: Pursuit of perfection under the tyranny of time [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

thanx Scott....you ever on Skype anymore ...I never see you there lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online