SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#325450 - 05/31/11 05:29 AM Audio Tracks vs SMF
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

I’ve been considering starting to use some type of backing tracks for my act mainly to free up my left hand to play rootless voicings. Also there are a couple of tunes that I haven’t much luck finding styles for. I envision us still using mostly styles along with just a few tracks here and there.

I was thinking audio tracks would sound more natural/less robotic than midi files, but they seem like more of pain to operate on stage. I would need a laptop or iPod on stage- just one more thing to have to mess around with. My wife thinks it would sound too “karaoke” with audio tracks and change our sound too drastically going from styles to audio. She also likes SMF because of how easy it is to change the pitch/tempo.

For those of you playing with backing tracks, what are you using?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#325455 - 05/31/11 06:12 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: montunoman]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use Midi and MP3 in performance. For Midi I have them loaded in my keyboards(Audya,G70 Roland, and Technics KN7000. It is true that Midi is easier to manipulate and has good sound, as long as the sound engine and Midifiles are of good quality. I also have hundreds of Midifiles on two laptops. To use a laptop, I carry a Ketron SD2 for the sound engine. It provides excellent sound but extra gear to carry. I don't Midi the Laptop to my keyboard because I lose some control of the parts I play.

MP3 and wave tracks can be loaded on my Audya and raised, lowered,slowed, or sped up with great results. I also have MP3, as well as CD&G files on my Netbook with a Presonus Audiobox. The quality of netbook audio is not good enough by itself.

Unlike you, I have no qualms mixing in Karaoke type tracks, as I need the lyrics to sing, but play the riffs.

I choose to use all tools at my disposal, as long it is evident I am much more than just a Karaoke singer.
Bernie

#325521 - 05/31/11 07:41 PM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Korg PA800 plays midi or MP3 perfectly, and they can live on the same USB drive. I know Fran C had some trouble with his, but he had a broken keyboard. wink Mine is 100% reliable, and has never so much as glitched in performance. I use premade midi files, custom MP3 trax that I made and commercial (audio only) backing trax, and I mix them all in with my live parts in whatever blend is appropriate. I have some doo wop files that are just me with a harmonizer as the backing, and I have some full arrangements that feature my backgrounds so I can sing different lines eg: Drifters, Beach Boys, that type. I recommend putting background vocals on any trax that you make - it fills up the arrangement so well, and gives the people more of the thing they can closely identify with: WORDS! You may not have many musicians in the crowd, but most people (think they) can sing.

#325534 - 06/01/11 05:27 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Not using MP3 tracks or SMF's...you are missing the boat smile

It is the best way to deliver a "pro" sound that the popular venues are looking for....Performances that "sound like the record"..There are folks that will do anything to make it their own and not like the record...the big difference...they won't work the venues I mentioned..

With the band ...we use 100 percent backing tracks...with our own vocal tracks...I record a SMF with live vocal backing, as a MP3 and we sing and play over them live..

I use different methods of audio /mp3 playback..the Laptop being the best all around..but I have used the media player on the Prelude with great results, as well as the player on the MediaStation..

Yes I had a couple problems with the PA800..not because it was "broke"...The PA 800 has a problem (MP3 player) playing back any SMF recorded on the G70 (all PA800 have this problem)..I think the limited buffer on the Korg is the cause..
Same problem with larger size sequences..

Personally, I rather use SMF's..as I do with my "solo" work...My preferred keyboard (G70) shows chords as well as the lyrics..this is perfect for my needs...Use of the SMF markers, and on the fly editing...makes it superior to me..I also rather use the harmonizer, when and if I choose..I only use MP3's for breaks when I solo gig..

I would suggest ..."use all the tools"...just try to incorporate your own touch (play over) when you can..

"Style " play is okay and a great way to handle request, or standards.....but..not ideal all night long, especially 4 hour jobs...You cannot compete with the competition..unless you use all the means ...

#325539 - 06/01/11 06:55 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: Fran
With the band ...we use 100 percent backing tracks...with our own vocal tracks...I record a SMF with live vocal backing, as a MP3 and we sing and play over them live..

Curious, which keyboard are you using to record your SMF with vocal backings to an MP3? Do you use your computer for recording and/or editing your SMF's/ MP3's, or is your laptop only used for playback?

The PA 800 has a problem (MP3 player) playing back any SMF recorded on the G70 (all PA800 have this problem)

Seems strange that the PA800 would have trouble playing back G-70 recorded SMF's. Is it only that scenario? Do you think the problem is with the PA800 playback, or the G-70 SMF recording? What could the G-70 SMF have, that the PA800 can't recognize?

Thanks
Larry

#325541 - 06/01/11 07:55 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Not using MP3 tracks or SMF's...you are missing the boat smile

It is the best way to deliver a "pro" sound that the popular venues are looking for....Performances that "sound like the record"..There are folks that will do anything to make it their own and not like the record...the big difference...they won't work the venues I mentioned..

I use different methods of audio /mp3 playback..the Laptop being the best all around..but I have used the media player on the Prelude with great results, as well as the player on the MediaStation..

Yes I had a couple problems with the PA800..not because it was "broke"...The PA 800 has a problem (MP3 player) playing back any SMF recorded on the G70 (all PA800 have this problem)..I think the limited buffer on the Korg is the cause..
Same problem with larger size sequences..

Personally, I rather use SMF's..as I do with my "solo" work...My preferred keyboard (G70) shows chords as well as the lyrics..this is perfect for my needs...Use of the SMF markers, and on the fly editing...makes it superior to me..I also rather use the harmonizer, when and if I choose..I only use MP3's for breaks when I solo gig..

I would suggest ..."use all the tools"...just try to incorporate your own touch (play over) when you can..

"Style " play is okay and a great way to handle request, or standards.....but..not ideal all night long, especially 4 hour jobs...You cannot compete with the competition..unless you use all the means ...

I agree totally Fran on all points....I've always said mixing it up, being Very versatile, & using ALL THE TOOLS in your box makes for successful gigs of all kinds, which in turn keeps a gigging musician working year after year....great post.

#325546 - 06/01/11 08:11 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: montunoman

I was thinking audio tracks would sound more natural/less robotic than midi files, but they seem like more of pain to operate on stage. I would need a laptop or iPod on stage- just one more thing to have to mess around with. My wife thinks it would sound too “karaoke” with audio tracks and change our sound too drastically going from styles to audio. She also likes SMF because of how easy it is to change the pitch/tempo.

Hi Paul,

First of all, let me preface this post by saying I am in no way a "purist"...I use, and love to use, an arranger at all my gigs.

Personally, having heard a few local duos/singles using MP3 as backing tracks, it looked and sounded like pure Karaoke, in my opinion.

Also, with MP3, you can't be as flexible as when using styles, or even SMF,...you are locked into the same changes (unlike style play) and the length of the tune (with SMF you can get around it using "markers").

I don't use commercial SMF myself; some of the "competition" does, and in a sense, they really aren't competitors, as I play the tunes "my way" and add more of my own touch to the music. I try to have my own unique sound, so I only use styles I've made myself, and I create my own arrangements as well.

It's not for everybody, but I am glad that it isn't, because I really don't want to sound like everyone else.

Mind you, I play all instrumental music, so I would find using SMF (and especially MP3) kind of boring...but that's my personal view.

To answer your question, I would say SMF (especially if you made them yourself) would be the more flexible of the two, and also your background sound would be unique compared to others using MP3.

Ian

#325557 - 06/01/11 08:50 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: lahawk]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Curious, which keyboard are you using to record your SMF with vocal backings to an MP3? Do you use your computer for recording and/or editing your SMF's/ MP3's, or is your laptop only used for playback?

The PA 800 has a problem (MP3 player) playing back any SMF recorded on the G70 (all PA800 have this problem)

Seems strange that the PA800 would have trouble playing back G-70 recorded SMF's. Is it only that scenario? Do you think the problem is with the PA800 playback, or the G-70 SMF recording? What could the G-70 SMF have, that the PA800 can't recognize?

Thanks
Larry

Larry, I usually record to my PC or laptop with MixCraft5 software...

I think the PA800 doesn't handle the initial packet od data well...maybe because it has system exclusive data too...The G70 sequences that fail on the Korg are recorded arranger mode sequences...And the other problem is larger sequences...this happens on other instruments too..I can recall this on a couple Roland keyboards seq playback..namely DisCover5 and even the Prelude..I have a 59 minute sequence that I use for a test ...G70 ..no problem, same with G1000..

Here are a couple test sequences if you guys want to test your board..

Attachments
DINJAZZ.mid (39 downloads)
-I HAVE BUT 1 H2.mid (49 downloads)

#325561 - 06/01/11 09:27 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Fran you are my hero, and pretty well the expert here on SZ when it comes to the very skilled use of SMF, and your "solo" work speaks volumes about how you use them in your tunes.

http://francarango.homestead.com/discography.html

These examples from your own public website, should say more about the work you are doing, than any amount of words could convey, and I recommend using a good set of headphones to better appreciate all the subtle nuances in the recordings..

Fran, were these done mostly on the G-70?

Ian

#325573 - 06/01/11 11:10 AM Re: Audio Tracks vs SMF [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Fran you are my hero, and pretty well the expert here on SZ when it comes to the very skilled use of SMF, and your "solo" work speaks volumes about how you use them in your tunes.

http://francarango.homestead.com/discography.html

These examples from your own public website, should say more about the work you are doing, than any amount of words could convey, and I recommend using a good set of headphones to better appreciate all the subtle nuances in the recordings..

Fran, were these done mostly on the G-70?

Ian

WEll ladies and gentleman thats how it's done my friends,
Fran OUTSTANDING !!!! A true master.....I havn't heard these songs in a while and forgot how fantastic they sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online