SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#324916 - 05/25/11 10:17 AM Jazz Keyboard Harmony
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I had a few people send me PM asking about jazz chord voicings. Sorry I don't have the ability to send out pdf of the voicings that I use, but I highly recomend Phil de Greg's book "Jazz Keyboard Harmony." There are lots of good books which I studied on the subject but this one is by far my favorite. If interested in jazz harmony BUY Phil's book (don't ILLEGALLY down load it) He's a great pianist and teacher and needs to pay the bills just like us.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#324932 - 05/25/11 01:08 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: montunoman
If interested in jazz harmony BUY Phil's book (don't ILLEGALLY down load it) He's a great pianist and teacher and needs to pay the bills just like us.
Montunoman Paul:
I agree. Contrary to statements made from a few forum members, most working musicians I know aren't rich, nor book multiple gigs, 7 days a week either.

In addition to Phil DeGreg's excellent "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" book, another equally excellent book on Jazz Piano, and which I can personally recommend is Mark Levine's "Jazz Piano Book".
I was fortunate enough to study with Mark Levine when he was writing the book, so lucky to be among his guinea pig students. grin
Interestedly enough, I only had to walk two blocks from my house to his for piano lessons. cool

#324935 - 05/25/11 01:43 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Originally Posted By: montunoman
If interested in jazz harmony BUY Phil's book (don't ILLEGALLY down load it) He's a great pianist and teacher and needs to pay the bills just like us.
Montunoman Paul:
I agree. Contrary to statements made from a few forum members, most working musicians I know aren't rich, nor book multiple gigs, 7 days a week either.

In addition to Phil DeGreg's excellent "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" book, another equally excellent book on Jazz Piano, and which I can personally recommend is Mark Levine's "Jazz Piano Book".
I was fortunate enough to study with Mark Levine when he was writing the book, so lucky to be among his guinea pig students. grin

Yep, most working musicians I know don't make a pile of money, nor are they doing multiple gigs, 7 days a week.

If I was working that often I wouldn't have the time to be on this forum.

A buddy asked me one time what I'd do if I won a million on the Lotto...I told him I'd keep on gigging till the money ran out.

That is a great book by Mark Levine, Scott...I had it years ago, and luckily found it again several months ago...it is a real gem. You were very lucky to know him personally.

Some really interesting bits about Jazz are on YouTube and done by the incredibly talented Leonard Bernstein. Check them out here, if you have some free time, and if you haven't seen them already. There are other great topics as well, such as "Modern Music, and even his views on "Rock Music".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadgLOMg0Go&feature=related

Bernstein was a perfect example of a liberal open minded musician/composer/conductor and definitely one of my heroes in music.

Ian

#324951 - 05/25/11 02:32 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
yes, the Mark Levine book is very highly regarded and covers a lot of ground. The Phil De Greg covers just keyboard harmony- not scales and such. The thing I love about the De Greg book is that it is full of practical applications.

Ian, I'd do exactly like you if I win the lotto:)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#324962 - 05/25/11 03:51 PM Re: Jazz Keyboard Harmony [Re: ianmcnll]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Some really interesting bits about Jazz are on YouTube and done by the incredibly talented Leonard Bernstein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadgLOMg0Go&feature=related
Hi Ian,
Thanks so much smile for sharing that wonderful historical "Bernstein on Jazz" Youtube documentary.
Bernstein was a musical genius in multiple musical genres (classical- jazz-etc). I look forward to watching parts 2 -5 as well.
I also found other interesting Bernstein documentaries on YouTube including: Bernstein On Conducting; Bernstein On Modern Music; Bernstein on Beethoven; Bernstein Playing Rock Music clap
Another legendary American musician of a similar order, at home conducting classical orchestras AND playing jazz piano is André Previn: cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnarXj_QCfc

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online