SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#324817 - 05/24/11 07:20 AM MediaStation still up and running....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am finishing the second month ..using the MediaStation on stage...Two months without a single incident (problem)..

The newest OS, with all the Linux updates, is working perfect...

I originally had a problem installing the new OS..it would not partition the hard drive and save the data, so I used the previous OS for the first month on stage ..no problems..

I eventually purchased a new 1 terrabyte hard drive and installed the new OS..with the correct partitions...but without saving old data..So I had to reload my data content..

I will be using the MS next month also (my third stage location)..I do like the fact that I can leave it on stage and not haul it every night grin

The MS has been great using it with the band...

I just ordered a tablet (250gb), and will try to incororate it with my G70 (my prefereed "solo" keyboard)..The "tablet" will replace the laptop, if the 7" Archos 70 250gb works out..

BTW: in the end I decided against the BK-7m, for a couple personal issues with operation, and the lack of lyric read on the internal screen..

That brings things up to date,til my Archos test run is completed..I will post my thoughts..

#324821 - 05/24/11 07:57 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Good Luck Fran

#324827 - 05/24/11 09:21 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran,

Just some brief questions:

Is the Mediastation still unable to recognize ON-BASS chords,or to put it another way, Chord Inversions?

Can it play rootless voicings?

When using it with "the band" how are you using it?

(a)In style play mode? If so, how many on-board styles will it have in user memory?

(b)For SMF and/or MP3 playback? If so, does it have a voice cancel feature for MP3's?

What VST's do you have installed?

What is the standard warranty?

Ian

PS...Does it have a Vocal Harmonizer, or microphone processing of any kind?

#324829 - 05/24/11 09:50 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Fran, while I gotcha here, and since you are pretty well the only Roland guru left on SZ, I have an opportunity to purchase a Roland Jupiter 4 preset/programmable synthesizer, that is in pristine original condition. It had been stored a few months after purchase, and never used. Everything works as it did when new, (it was launched around 1978) and nothing has dried out or deteriorated...it was in a road case, and stored in an attic.

Since you had a music business back in the day, are you familiar with this instrument?

It is analog, with factory presets, and 8 user locations, and it has features "borrowed" from monophonic synths, that we don't see anymore and some of the programming permutations would surprise you today.

I think it would make a good studio instrument, given it's age, and 4-voice poly limitation, but, I am wondering if you ever owned or had some experience with one?

It is a single oscillator instrument, but it has a sub-oscillator as well, so it sounds pretty full.

Any pertinent info, or where I could find more about it, would be appreciated.

Ian

#324832 - 05/24/11 10:09 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Not much hands on experience...it reminds me of a cross between a Juno6 and a SH-01....I think it could have a good collector's value..Here is the manual

Attachments
rolandjupiter4-ownersmanual.zip (14 downloads)

#324834 - 05/24/11 10:23 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

I use the MS with the band..only playing over our tracks, MP3/wave/sequence..We don't use arranger play...

There is a on bass with the 3rd party style player...

The MS has great dual mics with processing..(optional board that I have)..You can use 3rd party 8 part harmonizer software (I do not use it with the band)..

No center cancel..I have yet to find one that works even remotely ok...hit and miss at best, with about a 10 percent success percentage..Prelude has it..so does the G70..

The concept can be obtained on the MS..

What makes it nice to use the MS...No outboard gear needed at all..just powered speakers..and everything is easily adjustable from the panel..

#324835 - 05/24/11 10:26 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

OOPS...about warranty....it seems like I have a lifetime warranty...Dom has never refused help for me.. smile

#324836 - 05/24/11 10:30 AM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Not much hands on experience...it reminds me of a cross between a Juno6 and a SH-01....I think it could have a good collector's value..Here is the manual

Thanks Fran. The guy that's selling it isn't the original owner, and he's asking quite a bit for it, although he's already got several people very interested, and one just might break down and buy it. The oscillator is fairly stable, but I wouldn't use one under any stage lights or in a high humidity environment.

I'm guessing it's a rather rare instrument.

Ian

#324861 - 05/24/11 02:56 PM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I am still not impressed by it, still using it as a controller for my VSTIs.

#324862 - 05/24/11 02:58 PM Re: MediaStation still up and running.... [Re: Nedim]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nedim
I am still not impressed by it, still using it as a controller for my VSTIs.

What is there about it that does not impress you, Nedim?

Fran seems very pleased with his.

Is yours set up different?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online