SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#323938 - 05/11/11 07:49 AM MIDI help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A friend and I started work on a muisic project which has moved along quite well, but I now have the need to hook up a KB to my computer ...
I know there are VERY few players here with technics kb experience, but perhaps other experience with MIDI/PC/KB will help me as well ...

Being a real DUMMY about this midi/PC stuff, and having a couple of really important gigs coming up, I do not want to take any chances with hooking my kn6000 up to the PC via the midi cable, so I am attempting to hook up my kn1000 ...

I went to the site recommended by a technics player some time ago - http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=UM-1X and attempted to D/L the Edirol driver for Windows XP ... everything SEEMS to work ok with the D/L but I do not see the driver on my PC ... also, when I hook up the kn1000 via the midi cable I do not see anything that tells me a new piece of hardware has been connected ...

HELP !!! ANYONE?!?!? ... I need to know what I am doing wrong, what I need that I don't have, WHATEVER!!! ...

BTW if anyone wants to e-mail me directly, my address is in my profile ...

thnx in advance ...

#323971 - 05/11/11 01:01 PM Re: MIDI help needed ... [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony

1. Did you follow the instructions for installing the UM1x Midi interface exactly, if so, at which point did the problem occur, and what OS are you using.

2. If all went well, do any of the lights on the UM1x interface light up when you connect it to the computer. (The on-board USB led should light)

3. If the USB is lit, do you get any lights flashing on the UM1x interface when playing the keyboard? (The Midi In light should flash)

4. If all the above are OK, then make sure you set your Technics to the same Midi channel as required by the software program you are using on the computer.

Let me know the results, and we can take it from there

NOTE: I do not own a Technics keyboard, but Midi is a universal standard, so should be similar in most circumstances.

Bill

#323974 - 05/11/11 01:35 PM Re: MIDI help needed ... [Re: tony mads usa]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Just to be clear, you do have an Edirol UM-1X USB/MIDI Interface, correct? I know that the link you provided was for this unit but you never actually said that you physically had this unit.

So, if you in fact do have the UM-1X, did you happen to plug it into your PC USB port prior to installing the driver software? Doing so can keep the proper driver software, once downloaded and installed from recognizing the device, in this case the UM-1X.

Or did you download this driver in order to connect the K1000 to the PC via USB ports on the computer and the K1000? This is assuming the K1000 even has a USB port.

Best Regards,

Dave

#323996 - 05/11/11 04:09 PM Re: MIDI help needed ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Dave, I gave Tony that UM-1X. He does have one. It's been so long since I used it I don't remember enough about it to be of any help. I do know that the KN1000 does not need a USB port. You connect the midi cable end of the UM-1X to the KN1000 and the USB end to the PC.

You have a point about installing the hardware before the driver is installed. It may be necessary to delete the hardware with the PC Device Manager, install the driver, and then reinstall the hardware. BUT, I'm not sure.

#324161 - 05/14/11 02:14 PM Re: MIDI help needed ... [Re: Bob Hendershot]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, fellas, but thnx for the help ...
I THINK what happened is that initially I may have had the interface plugged in when I first tried to D/L the driver ... As Dave said, that caused the software to NOT recognize the UM 1 ... and as Bob said, it was only until I went back and UNinstalled the hardware that I was able to successfully D/L the software ...
Again, many thanks for the responses, and thanks especially to you Bob for the hardware ...
It's all good now ...

#324252 - 05/15/11 03:41 PM Re: MIDI help needed ... [Re: tony mads usa]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

Glad to hear you got things sorted out. Have fun!

Dave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online