SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#323848 - 05/10/11 03:19 PM Cover songs done in other styles
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I was at the West Michigan Symphony last Friday night and they featured a singer named Steve Lippa. He sang a bunch of Sinatra tunes and mixed in some other standards by other artists. One of the numbers he did was Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are". The funny thing was he did it as a swing tune. I know Scott Yee has experimented with doing covers in alternate styles. How about the rest of you, what songs and what styles? The only one I do different ways is "Tea For Two" done either as a swing or Cha Cha.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

#323853 - 05/10/11 03:44 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I do Moon River, which is written in 3/4, in 4/4...Jazz ballad at 70 bpm.

I also do the opposite and play As Time Goes By with a waltz, a jazz waltz to be more accurate.

These ideas were actually given to me by Oscar Peterson when I had the honor of doing an arranger (yes, an arranger) clinic with him a number of years ago. It was on the PSR-9000 Pro.

He said if you get tired of playing a jazz ballad, try playing it as a waltz. And, a waltz can be played as a Jazz Ballad.

It works because a jazz ballad is in 6/8 time...a waltz in 3/4...you do the math. wink

Ian

PS...Some waltzes work well with a Slow Rock style...again, a 6/8.

#323854 - 05/10/11 03:47 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: ianmcnll]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

I forgot that our band does "Shanty Town" and "Maria Elena" both as big band swings even though both were orginally waltzes.

Tom

#323856 - 05/10/11 03:57 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Also, a lot of Latin type beats, like Bossa Nova and Rumba, work really well with a Swing rhythm.

Changing from waltz to swing and vice versa, sure sharpens up your phrasing skills, Tom.

Ian

#323857 - 05/10/11 04:00 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I select a song and the take through the keyboard styles. I find pleasure in changing the feel of a song according to a style.
You discover some great ideas on an oldder song.

John C.

#323862 - 05/10/11 04:13 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Dnj Offline

I do that all night long it's all in YOUR "Rhythm" and "Timing"... that's the fun of an arranger KB ...there are no rules ....do whatever song you want, any way you want, as long as it Sounds Good. Have fun!

btw, I do Just the way you Are in a Rumba ! wink

#323865 - 05/10/11 04:21 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Donny,

I do "Just The Way You Are" as a rumba also. I just may have to try it as a swing. I also do "Route 66" as a boogie at about 140.

Tom

Tom

#323866 - 05/10/11 04:21 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: bruno123]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
I select a song and the take through the keyboard styles. I find pleasure in changing the feel of a song according to a style.
You discover some great ideas on an oldder song.

John C.

That's the beauty of these instruments, John...we can be "arrangers" (the people kind wink ) and do a piece of music our own way. Some nights I may play the same song in three or four different styles.

And they are great for song writing ideas and doing quick demos.

Ian

#323867 - 05/10/11 04:24 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
Donny,

I do "Just The Way You Are" as a rumba also. I just may have to try it as a swing. I also do "Route 66" as a boogie at about 140.

Tom

hahahah Tom...that's what I'm talkin' about, be creative, go against the grain musically and have fun.. keys

take care

D.

#323868 - 05/10/11 04:25 PM Re: Cover songs done in other styles [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the mental exercises I've done for years is to take a song, any song, and play it using nearly every style in the keyboard. Sometimes you come up with some really neat sounding tunes merely by changing the style, and also changing the chord progression with some interlopers. It's a lot of fun and it can really make for an interesting performance. One of the best example of this was when I was visiting DNJ one evening in Brick, NJ. He did Happy Birthday as a disco, then switched to Volare using the same style and variation--the crowd loved it!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online