SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#323767 - 05/09/11 12:02 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: ianmcnll]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I used modules in the past, specifically RA-50, RA-90, RA-800, and I must say, I am totally happy with not having to use a modular setup anymore.

Fiddly, and time consuming setup, more things to put away, and more things to go wrong...plus, access to a module's controls, even with a well set-up controller, is not nearly as convenient as having it all on the panel, with clear labeling and a nice informative screen.

With so many excellent new styles available, especially Yamaha styles that now use mega and SA/SA2 voices, the argument of "better" styles (and bass lines) holds no water anymore, in my opinion.

And with even high end arrangers weighing less than 35 lbs, with the mid-range at only 20 or so, the weight factor isn't nearly what it used to be.

So basically, it really boils down to overall sound, and what we like to hear coming out of our speakers.

I'm glad Yamaha's sound appeals to me, and I can get everything in one unit (in my case, a Tyros4), as I know I wouldn't have the patience to be jiggin' around with a module and controller, and having to deal with it's disadvantages, for a few dubious (in my opinion) advantages.

But, to each his own.

Ian

Then you won't be interested in any of this, right?
smile
DonM

#323769 - 05/09/11 12:07 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM

Then you won't be interested in any of this, right?
smile
DonM

Wrong. smirk

Quite the opposite, actually...for one thing, I'm very interested in how and why this module would be preferred over an all-in-one arranger, no matter who makes the latter.

Dave and Deane's issues would be indicative of what any user would be up against.

Ian

#323783 - 05/09/11 03:14 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you read the sales blurb, it is not designed to be used with an arranger, but for other instruments that don’t have arranger features, (Accordions, Midi Controllers etc.) which of course makes it ideal for those types of users. (Why carry an arranger keyboard around when you don’t need keys)

Bill

#323786 - 05/09/11 03:43 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
I think that is only half the story Bill.

Most people in here seem to be gigging musos, who already own an arranger or two!

The most common thing ever heard in a music store (except stairway to heaven and sweet child of mine) is "I wish I could just put together everything all the arranger manufacturers do to get the best of all worlds."

There are many people who take more than one arranger to a gig. they may have a Yamaha and a Korg, or a Korg and a Roland, or a Roland and a Yamaha etc etc. However, what this amazing piece of kit gives you, is the ability to take your existing arranger (let's say it's a Yamaha or a Korg) and add to it a completely different set of styles and sounds, without the weight or expense of another arranger keyboard. Having done this, you still have not lost out on anything your current arranger keyboard offers. It is still all in the instrument. You can even blend your existing instrument with the BK7m.

What you seem to have missed (and others, apologies for singling out you) is that in marketing speak, this is a borderless product. It is useable by so many people who play different products, inlcuding but not restricted to arranger players.

Anything with a midi out socket could be plugged into this device and control it.

Many of the people I have sold them to already own a Tyros 2 or 3, and have purchased this to give them something completely different. Some people think that upgrading a T2 or T3 means they are buying much of the same stuff again. If they add a BK7m, they get completely new stuff to add to their arrangements.

There are also the people who own a much older instrument, like myself, who want to just simply refresh their current instrument, like me with my Yamaha HX1. That instrument is 24 years old, but it performs very well with the BK7m. The reason I wanted one, is that I like to play organ style, but my sounds were so out of date. The BK7m has transformed it into a very useable system again.

There will even be those who currently own a T4 or are thinking of buying one. But there may be something stopping them from going ahead. perhaps they have a hankering for the 'Roland' sound. Well this allows them to go ahead and purchase the T4 or PA3X or any other keyboard for that matter, and cheaply add on the Roland.

I hear there are complaints from other users with regard to a few niggles with OTS etc. However, what is the comparison? Are we comparing this directly with a T4 at £3500. Bear in mind the BK7m is only £765. This in no way belittles the genuine complaints users have. Roland will listen for feedback, and act upon it. As I have said already, they have done so with several of the last few arranger systems they have made. New features have been added to many through operating system upgrades, often at no cost to the end-user. Users should contact Roland with their ideas or issues, so that their opinion is heard.

I hope I have managed to point out a few reasons why the BK7m is a product which shouldn't be pidgeon-holed as being for non-arranger players. It will suit them too, but that is not it's only use. The fact is, it can be used on/with a multitude of different devices. It's not for everyone, but everyone could use one if they desired.

All the best
John

#323798 - 05/09/11 05:27 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Deane ... I know you miss the OTS, but there are still 2 upper sounds that can be programmed. That's 1/2 at least, right? and it's not impossible to switch U1 and U2 sounds on the fly either. Just hold down the U1 button for a second and a new window pops up. It'll never replace a good all-in-one unit, but it sure has some cool stuff in it!

#323805 - 05/09/11 05:55 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Dave,
Yes, and in addition I now have 8 voices I selected programmed on 8 of my controller buttons and that helps tons.

I will probably use the module with my Tyros 4 and turn off the styles using just the drum parts along with my T4 sounds - that could be really cool.

Deane

#323809 - 05/09/11 06:42 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Scottyee]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
If it's specific Roland Style(s) you're wanting, these too can be exported and converted to Tyros 4 '.sty' format.
Just my idea of of a way of maintaining the ease of a 'one unit' system, including the greater ease of storing & calling up everything in Reg. cool

If you convert Roland styles to Tyros 4 format it will never sound as good as on the Roland. Also the Tyros 4 don't have intelligent chord variations technology like the Korgs and Rolands have.

#323813 - 05/09/11 06:52 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: FransN]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN

Also the Tyros 4 don't have intelligent chord variations technology like the Korgs and Rolands have.

Frans, can you explain what you mean by this statement?

It is my understanding that Roland's accompaniment engine hasn't changed much from what was in the E-20, some great many years ago.

You still can't play rootless voiced chords on a Roland arranger. You can on a Korg and a Yamaha arranger.

Is Roland's Intelligent Chord Variations system their version of the beginner's method of single finger chords?

Please tell me what is so special about Roland's "Intelligent chord variations" technology, and it's advantages over Yamaha's system?

Get as technical as you like....I can take it. smirk

Ian

#323814 - 05/09/11 06:59 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: ianmcnll]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The major, minor and 7th chords have different patterns on most styles.

#323815 - 05/09/11 07:06 PM Re: Specific BK7m quest - please help if you have one [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Well, if that's all it is, I feel much better. grin

At least it can be disabled.

And, Roland still has no rootless chord voicing. frown

Ian

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online