SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#323040 - 04/27/11 02:11 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
I can't figure out why you guys are all drooling over this. You know you could run a Casio WK7500 through a 147 Leslie or Ventilator and have the same thing plus all the extras. The organs on the Casio are really quite good.

Tom

#323043 - 04/27/11 02:35 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

It Weighs Only 15 Pounds

Your eyes see "PORTABLE"

Your ears hear and your touch says - B-3

Throw The Organ Dollies Away

Easy To Move To The Gig

What The Cats Have Been Waiting For ! dance2

Edited by Dnj (04/27/11 02:36 PM)

#323044 - 04/27/11 02:39 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can't figure out why you guys are all drooling over this. You know you could run a Casio WK7500 through a 147 Leslie or Ventilator and have the same thing plus all the extras. The organs on the Casio are really quite good.

Tom

You must lovethat Casio, Tom. wink

Ian

#323047 - 04/27/11 03:41 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Ian,

I don't love Casio. It is just that there are so many Hammond clones out there and they are all pretty good. The only one I don't like is my G70. The organs on it for the most part suck. I'd bet if we blindfolded you droolers and did a hearing test of the clones you'd be wrong as often as you'd be right. Same if you put the clones through a 147 and compare it to a real B3. At least the B3 debate gives you drollers something to talk about. The forum has been way too calm lately anyway. wink

Tom

Tom

#323053 - 04/27/11 04:26 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian,

I don't love Casio. It is just that there are so many Hammond clones out there and they are all pretty good. The only one I don't like is my G70. The organs on it for the most part suck. I'd bet if we blindfolded you droolers and did a hearing test of the clones you'd be wrong as often as you'd be right. Same if you put the clones through a 147 and compare it to a real B3. At least the B3 debate gives you drollers something to talk about. The forum has been way too calm lately anyway. wink

Tom

I don't have to drool, my friend...I am very fortunate to be able to play a real Hammond B-3 with Leslie a few times a week with a bunch of R&B players.

You are right about the clones...I believe very few of us could tell some of them apart, especially when put through a Leslie.

I'm very happy with the Tyros4's organ sounds for arranger playing. I personally thought the G-70 had great organ sounds...aren't they based on the VK organ?

If I was to do the R&B band thing again, I'd probably get an XK3c system...but the SK2 might do the job for far less moolah...and I'd forgo the Leslie, as the rotary sim would be fine for me....I'm not that much of a purist, although two perfectly spaced manuals, and real drawbars would be necessary.

In any case, I'm looking forward to trying the SK2 out, and it appears there are quite a few who feel the same way.

Ian

#323057 - 04/27/11 05:50 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Ian,

Knock yourself out. I'm an old organ player myself and I cut my teeth on a B3. In my younger days when I was strong and stupid, I hauled around a M and 147 for gigging. I actually liked the model H a little better than the B. I had to haul a trailer to the gigs even in the Michigan winter. I also love that sound but not enough to do that anymore. All the arrangers have organs that are good enough givin the alternative. I don't like the Leslie sim on the G70. Givin the weight of the G70 I'm thinking of the s910. How are the organs on it? I've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

On a different note, I'd love to get to the Maritime Provinces sometime in my life. I have friends that came here from PEI.

Tom

Tom

#323061 - 04/27/11 06:32 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian,

Knock yourself out. I'm an old organ player myself and I cut my teeth on a B3. In my younger days when I was strong and stupid, I hauled around a M and 147 for gigging. I actually liked the model H a little better than the B. I had to haul a trailer to the gigs even in the Michigan winter. I also love that sound but not enough to do that anymore. All the arrangers have organs that are good enough givin the alternative. I don't like the Leslie sim on the G70. Givin the weight of the G70 I'm thinking of the s910. How are the organs on it? I've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

On a different note, I'd love to get to the Maritime Provinces sometime in my life. I have friends that came here from PEI.

Tom

I had a B-3 with two Leslie 147RV for many years...I had a 57 Chev Suburban V8 with Hydramatic, that I used to haul it around in...of course, it was only because I was in a band and I had help lugging it...certainly couldn't do solo gigs. I had an M-3 for a short while, before I got the B-3, but the reason I got the latter, was because the former's 44 note manuals were just too short.

The organs in the S910 are pretty good...the SA Jazz Rotary and SA Rock Rotary were my favorites, as well as the drawbar based organs (although there were only buttons up/down)...the Tyros4 has sliders which are really nice. The sim is very good, but certainly not up to Ventilator, or even the XK3 (non C).

I very nearly bought the S910, but got a great deal on the Tyros4, plus, I just fell in love with the sound.

My recently retired Yamaha boss and his wife were from PEI, and my step brother lives there as well, just outside Charlottetown...I've done lots of clinics on the island...it's a lovely place in the summer, but can be brutal in the winter.

The sim, through a PA sounds like a mic'd Leslie, so having the real deal isn't necessary, at least for me...and, it's heavy.

After carrying around a G-70, the PSR-S910 will feel like it's made out of balsa wood...are you sure you wouldn't miss the 76 note keyboard? One thing for certain, the Yamaha support network, as in forums and third party help, is hard to beat.

Ian

#323068 - 04/27/11 11:23 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tonewheeldude Offline

II've been told that after a certain distance away from a Leslie that a sim sounds just as good. I find that hard to believe though.

Tom

Hi Tom. If the Leslie Sim is very good(and only a handfull are) and it is used correctly then from an audiences point of view they will not know the difference between the sim and a miked up leslie. However you have to do it properly.

Almost everyone makes the mistake of using the full stereo image for the Leslie Sim. The Hammonds sim (which, like 99% of sims including the ventilator) is two dimensional - in other words shifts from left to right) it is vital to run the sim through a mixer, take a look at the position of the keys on stage and then 'pan' the left and right channel to that point.

The only exception afaik is the KeyB which uses a 3D image and sounds fine just DI'd straight into the PA or through a Stereo keyboard amp in your living room. However for recording purposes it still might be best to place it 'somewhere' in your stereo image rather than taking up both channels fully.

#323069 - 04/27/11 11:40 PM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Tonewheeldude]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude

Almost everyone makes the mistake of using the full stereo image for the Leslie Sim. The Hammonds sim (which, like 99% of sims including the ventilator) is two dimensional - in other words shifts from left to right) it is vital to run the sim through a mixer, take a look at the position of the keys on stage and then 'pan' the left and right channel to that point.

Now, that is a good idea. Thanks TWD, I didn't know about "panning" the sim channel in regards to where the keyboard is located.

I learn something new every day.

Ian

#323080 - 04/28/11 06:21 AM Re: Hammond SK-1 only 15lbs ! [Re: Dnj]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Ian,

Can you save the drawbar settings as user voices on the 910 and then assign them to an OTS?

Tom

Edited by Tom Cavanaugh (04/28/11 06:21 AM)

Tom

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online