SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#322962 - 04/26/11 07:49 PM A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was playing a midi file from my laptop through the PSR-3000 and comping with my right hand when suddenly, everything stopped playing. The midi file stopped playing and the entire right side of the keyboard suddenly went dead. For a moment I thought the electricity may have blinked because it was a very windy day and electrical outages are not at all uncommon under these circumstances. I instantly selected a song from my MFD, and continued the remaining 20 minutes of the job without the aid of the laptop.

I brought the rig into the house when I got home, plugged everything in, and wallah, everything seemed to work just fine. However, after 20 minutes of playing the keyboard's right side began missing notes. At first I thought it may have been a worn out contact strip, but it was inconsistent. The next thing I did was unplug the USB to Host cable between the keyboard and laptop. Everything on the keyboard worked perfectly. A few minutes with an ohm meter and some wire jiggling provided me with the information I needed--the 5-year-old cable was shot. After connecting a replacement cable everything is back to normal. It's amazing what one, seemingly, innocuous cable can do to an entire system.

Food for thought,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#322973 - 04/27/11 02:48 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The same thing happened to me at a gig. In the process of elimination, that was the last thing I suspected, as I had checked the cable connection immediately.

Like you, another cable did the trick.

#322976 - 04/27/11 05:12 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: travlin'easy]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Gary, I feel your pain.

We just had the same thing happen with one of our Bose L1's cutting in and out and clipping with low volume/input signal. It turned out to be a connecting chord! GRRRRRrrr!

These are things that just drive you nuts!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#322978 - 04/27/11 05:25 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: travlin'easy]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Last week a similar thing happened to me. The volume level really faded in the middle of a song. I turned up he master vol on the mixer and carried on. It came back after a minute or two, and I hastily had to turn the vol back.

The thing happened again later, and this time I jiggled with the cables into the mixer. And guess what, I had obviously, in my hurry to set up, not properly seated one of the speaker cables. Phew!

#322980 - 04/27/11 05:53 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: travlin'easy]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Guitar cables are always the first thing to check if something is amiss, now with Gary's experience, it's also a good reminder that cables should be the first thing to check on keyboards.

I'm glad it was a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix for you.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#322983 - 04/27/11 06:31 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: lahawk]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Great troubleshooting Gary. I always carry extra cables for just such an event. I usually just cut the ends off about a foot back and put the connector back on. Usually the open in the wire is at the connector.

Tom

Tom

#322992 - 04/27/11 07:51 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The irony of this was that the midi to host cable is the only one that I do not custom make myself. I purchased the best quality cable I could find, just to be on the safe side. The factory made cables have been the only ones to ever fail.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/27/11 07:52 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#322993 - 04/27/11 08:03 AM Re: A Weird Thing Happened At Work Today... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

http://www.gigcables.com/

I have all my cables "custom made" by Tom Mody..excellent quality.
Check him out

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online