SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#321844 - 04/14/11 07:09 AM Clone + Leslie
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Have any of you used a Hammond clone with a real Leslie? If you did, what clone did you use and what were the results? I have a RotoPhaser in storage that I'm thinking of resurrecting. I think I could send the drawbars from the G70 out to it. It would still be nice to be able to add reverb to the drawbars but Roland didn't include that.

Tom

Tom

#321846 - 04/14/11 07:43 AM Re: Clone + Leslie [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tom, I use an old XB-2 trough a 147Rv all the time. I also use a Nord C-1 thru either a 145 or a Motionsound Top box (rotors only).

Sounds GREAT when playing you hear the Doppler. But, the other night, I had a friend play the first hour of a gig while I was finishing up another. At a distance, I was surprised to hear that it doesn't make as much difference (real rotors, vs simulators).

Whatever; Leslies are GREAT!

Russ

#321859 - 04/14/11 09:58 AM Re: Clone + Leslie [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I agree with Russ. I have tried my C1 (w/half-moon switch) with a Leslie 122 and it sounds great. However, in the heat of battle, I doubt if most people (non-
B3 players) could tell the difference between a Nord C1 (or Hammond XKC3) w/simulated Leslie and a B3 with the real thing. Bottom line; if you play a C1 (or XKc3 or whatever Joey D's endorsing these days smile ) LIKE a B3/Leslie, it's going to pretty much sound like a B3/Leslie. For me, it's 85% the player. JMO, of course.

chas

#321863 - 04/14/11 10:32 AM Re: Clone + Leslie [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have a buddy who just bought a Hammond XK3c system, and he already has a 147 Leslie at home.

In his large rec room, with the XK3c running (in stereo) through a Stagepas 500, and then through the Leslie 147, there is a difference, but it is slight.

The XK3c (and Chas's Nord C1) have incredibly accurate Leslie simulators...of course they don't actually move air and have the Doppler effect (as Russ points out), but for nearly all situations, the simulator would work just fine.

A mic'd Leslie (through a PA) generally only provides the Doppler effect to the player.

Another consideration is recording...the sim is so much easier to record than setting up mics for a Leslie tone cabinet, and on a recording, it's almost impossible to tell one from the other.

Have you tried the Ventilator?

Ian

#321868 - 04/14/11 10:59 AM Re: Clone + Leslie [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The best modern day combination I have played ...is the Hammond XK3c and a Leslie unit (3300 modern day model).

Sorry Chas I didn't think the Nord C1 compared to the XK3c..I haven't tried the C2 yet..

#321872 - 04/14/11 12:21 PM Re: Clone + Leslie [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I reported the Ventilator to this forum 6 months ago without much notice. It is now the most widely used Leslie simulator.

I use it with my Nord,KN7000 and even my Audya. I have played B3's for 45 years and believe me, it is the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQ4EimOoYo

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online