SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32084 - 01/01/07 02:27 AM SD2
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I just received my SD2 and find it fantastic for the money. I am not that knowledgable on midi, and am asking help on the following problem.

I have the following equipment: Controller keyboard,laptop,SD2 module,Midisport 2x2 interface, and Midi Merge.

The SD2 does an excellent job in being my soundsource when playing midi files. It does a great job connected to my Axiom controller, when setting up registrations using the different banks of the SD2.

I want it to do both at the same time. In other words, to receive data from my sequencer in my laptop, and be able to play my lead voices at the same time.

I thought if I merged my two outs to one midi in, it would work. It doesn't seem to.

Bernie

#32085 - 01/01/07 05:56 AM Re: SD2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bernie
A few things to try
1. Check the SD2 to see how many voices it can play simultaneously and also how many Midi channels it can receive simultaneously. (This may be a limiting factor)
2. Make sure when you send information it is always on separate channels, such as lead = 1, accompaniment = 7, 8, 9 etc. (Whichever board/computer gets there first usually takes priority.
3. Mixing various external Midi boxes can also cause problems, so keep them to a minimum. (Also make sure they are the type you think they are, as most of them look similar)
Hope this helps

Bill

#32086 - 01/01/07 07:50 AM Re: SD2
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Bill
Thanks for the reply.
In regard to simultanious voices. I am sure it is multi timbral,ie it plays full 10,12 midi tracks at once with no latency. Is that what you mean ? I did not set any channel as it is GM. I just used the Midisport 2x2(USB),and designated Midisport as out port in my sequencer software.

Now, when I use my Axiom controller, I simply attach my midi out from it to the in port on the SD2. It works great that way too,for straight playing. I am sending on Ch 1, but I would guess it is receiving globally.

I now want to use the SD2 for both at the same time. I only brought the MidiMerge into play because I am combining two midi outs to the one SD2 in port.

I guess I don't understand why two datastreams can't be merged, but work independently. What then, what do I know ?

Bernie

#32087 - 01/01/07 09:50 AM Re: SD2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bernie
Midi is not quite that simple, however I have included below a couple of links which explains what Midi is and what it can do, (And can’t do) which should help you to achieve what you require.
Hope this helps

Bill
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

#32088 - 01/01/07 12:29 PM Re: SD2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
I'll get back to you later today. I've got my BIAB/SD2 up & running with digital piano as controller.
Does your Midisport have 1 in & 2 outs???
I'll also sent you an instrument patch for sd2 / BIAB so that you can access all the sd2 sounds easily incl higher banks.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#32089 - 01/01/07 12:38 PM Re: SD2
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Bill
I appreciate your time. These tutorials are great.

Best regards
Bernie

#32090 - 01/01/07 01:07 PM Re: SD2
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki
The Midisport is 2 in and two out. Totally separate ports.

I guess I'm not getting the big picture while battling the small gremlins.

My Midisport says to 1. Connect computer via USB. 2. Midi out of Axiom to input a of Midisport. 3. Output A of Midisport to midi in of sound module. 4. Ouput B is for an additional module.

Having done this, I load a midifile into BIAB, after designating Midisport A as out port and inport.

It plays fine, except it controls the voice being played on the keyboard. I can't choose my own patchs I configured on the Axiom. What purpose is the keyboard serving if the sequencer is controlling it ?

What are you able to do I can't ?

Thanks for your patience. I have been too many years with an arranger, and this is confusing.

Bernie

#32091 - 01/01/07 06:41 PM Re: SD2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,

Option 1
I've got my BIAB setup the following way.
Not using a Merge Box.
Midi out of Controller( piano) to Midi In of Edirol. Midi out A of Edirol to Midi in SD2.

BIAB press "ctrl E" Choose "Channels" & set the "Thru" channel to the same midi channel that your Axiom is sending notes on ie in my case I've chosen midi channel 1. So controller keyboard is sending notes on Channel 1, BIAB is relaying these via "Thru". & you should be able to hear what you're playing live. You should also be able to change voices via controller. Make sure the "Dot" is in the "thru" icon, not melody, soloist etc

Option 2
I don't have a midi merge box to try. So not sure if this will work.
Basically you treat the Axiom seperately from the PC ie you use the axiom live, but the sd2 soundsource is being shared between BIAB & Axiom

Connect computer via USB. 2.
"Midi OUT A" Midisport to to Midi IN A of Merge Box.
Merge Box " Midi out/thru? to Midi In SD2.
BIAB Midi setting
( In ) not required
(Out) USB Midisport A

"Midi out" of Axiom to "midi in B" of Merge Box. The midi Out from the merge box has already been dealt with in the PC/BIAB setup.

Again Press control E & check which channels are being used by BIAB,
Pick one that BIAB isn't using & set your Axiom to transmit on an unused channel to the SD2.

As I mentioned, not sure if this will work as I have no way of testing with a merge box.

If the above doesn't work
What in's outs thru's does your axiom & merge box have??

[b]Hi Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-01-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#32092 - 01/02/07 06:47 AM Re: SD2
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rikki
The Aiom has 1 in and 1 out. The Midimerge has 2 ins and 2 outs. Option one is fine and option two is what I was trying to accomplish. It doesn't work.

That's alright,as my Echo Indigo pcmcia card is almost as good as SD2. It's not as if I can't use the SD2. I have compiled some great sounding splits on the Axiom, and that is more important to me than the small difference in accompaniment.

If only BIAB would follow chord changes live. I need to get back to learning OMB.

Hey,life is great when you are involved in music. I decided not to lose a friend by being bulldoggedly(is that a word)persistant over a losing proposition.

I'll badger you later about something more important.

Thanks much
Bernie

#32093 - 01/02/07 01:02 PM Re: SD2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
pity, unfortunately I have no way of testing it, I got rid of most of my midi gear like patchbay ,midimerger etc years back. I'm a bit rusty on how it all worked.

Sure would be great if BIAB followed live chord changes.

Have you got a link to your brand merge box. Theoretically what you want to do should work.

best wishes
Rikki
[B]Hi Rikki

If only BIAB would follow chord changes live.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online