SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#320796 - 04/04/11 08:36 AM Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have decided to buy the the new Roland Module and a midi keyboard to use with it. I need some very good advice and I thought I would get the opinions of others who have used midi keyboards.

I have NO EXPERIENCE with midi keyboards and when I have played with them at the store I did not understand all the controls. I prefer to buy a TOTL keyboard with good reliabilty.

All I need the controller to do is play through the Roland Module so I can use all the arranger features of the module. I prefer a light feel to the keybed, 61 keys, and it must be simple to setup and us.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hammer

#320810 - 04/04/11 11:11 AM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Hammer

Don’t compare Midi keyboards with Arrangers as far as price goes

Essentially Midi Keyboards are dumb keyboards, where all the controls can be programed to do whatever you want them to do (The limitation will probably be on what the module can accept)

Cheaper models tend to have less programmable controllers compared to the more expensive ones

If you are just using the controls on the module for your performance, then you will only need a basic keyboard to output note, dynamic and after touch information (Pitch and modulation wheels are normally standard)

If you want to use the controls on the Midi Controller to control the module, you will need to look at the Midi implementation chart (At the back of the module manual) to see what it accepts.

Here is a basic introduction to Midi to get you started http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html have a good read of it, and you will then have a much better idea of what you actually want.

Hope this helps

Bill

#320814 - 04/04/11 11:28 AM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (04/04/11 11:37 AM)

#320820 - 04/04/11 11:57 AM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Deane,
I have an extra M Audio controller. You can try it, buy it, or I'll donate it to you. It's new.
I plan to use my Edirol PCR-800 initially. I used both of these with Midjay succesfully. I prefer the Edirol.
If the module works out, I may get the new Roland controller because it has pads.
I'll phone you and maybe we can get together once we receive the modules.
DonM

#320828 - 04/04/11 12:56 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: DonM]
hammer Offline

Thanks to all who helped out. Another question, is there any advantage to having a controller with all the multitude of controls as opposed to just a simple midi keyboard like say a Yamaha NP30?

Hammer

#320832 - 04/04/11 01:41 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You don't NEED a fancy controller with the BK-7m. It has a mode where a simple 'one MIDI channel' keyboard gets the full layout options from the module. Basically, you set your module up in close where you can get to it, get an FC-7 foot controller for access to plenty of stuff you either want hands free or the front panel doesn't have, a sustain pedal and a volume/expression pedal (if you use them) and you should be good to go...

Something with assignable sliders for Part volume control might be nice, but if you are more of the 'set it and forget it' type, you can get away without that.

#320836 - 04/04/11 02:31 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: Diki]
hammer Offline

Problem resolved - just ordered the Roland Module and the Roland PSC-800 controller.

Thanks for the help.
Hammer

#320839 - 04/04/11 02:45 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I have done lots of comparisons and I like the novation brand.
Axiom is also fine.

#320853 - 04/04/11 05:49 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll be anxious to see that PSC-800. That's the one I was talking about earlier.
DonM

#320854 - 04/04/11 05:51 PM Re: Advice needed for Midi Keyboard Purchase [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Say Don,
My school is always taking music gear donations! (hint) .....
smile
Tax deduction!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online