SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#320538 - 03/31/11 04:43 AM Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Those plastic Yammy music racks suk! I want something more substantial, see-thru and NOT a stand-alone music stand. Has anyone tried other solutions? Where might I search for a plexiglass fabricator or similar? I'm sure there are others who cringe at the thought of having to use that flimsy PSR rack one more time. Help!

#320540 - 03/31/11 05:40 AM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: cassp]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass Check this out PSR Forum Music Rack

I designed mine using the above instructions found in the link that will take you to the PSR site. I purchased the a thin sheet of plexiglass from Home Depot for about $10 to serve as the rack. Using the wood support on back is an important piece to keep it stable. The photos are from my old PSR 3000.

[img:center][/img]
[img:center][/img]

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/31/11 05:46 AM)

#320556 - 03/31/11 09:12 AM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: cassp]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Is the wood support piece able to come off? If not, it would be hard put the keyboard in a case.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320586 - 03/31/11 02:18 PM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: montunoman]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Is the wood support piece able to come off? If not, it would be hard put the keyboard in a case.

No the rebuilt music rack will not fit in a case it's too large ( at least the one I built was). But let me clarify, the entire music rack is removable just like the stock music holder. The wood piece is fastened to the plexiglass set up that's installed over the original music with 3 wood screws ( see bottom photo). I also glued a piece of felt over the base of the wood support that leans against the keyboard to prevent scratching of the keyboard.

#320600 - 03/31/11 08:11 PM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks, Stephen; definitely food for thought. @Montunoman, maybe the use of a hinge on the wood piece would make it lie flat for storage. Just thinking...

#320619 - 04/01/11 12:37 AM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: cassp]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Nice setup. Just to clarify. The wood support does not attach to the keyboard, rather just rests on the back of the keyboard for support. Thus once the complete music rack is removed, the keyboard will fit into a case. Correct?

Stephen, did you have to drill holes and cut the plexiglass? If so, how? I've always had trouble working with plexiglass. I believe you can sand the edges with sandpaper to remove the sharpness and get more of a beveled edge.

For the record, the music rack design for some of Yamaha's arrangers were just plain awful, but we already knew that. smirk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#320621 - 04/01/11 02:27 AM Re: Wanting a better onboard s900 music rack [Re: cassp]
Stephenm52 Offline

Cass, I have very limited carpentry skills but I did have to use a sabre saw to cut the wood support, it works very well. No book ever fell off the rack again.

Larry, that is correct the wood support does not attach to the keyboard, it just rests on the back of the keyboard for support and once it is removed the keyboard fits in the case. I also had Home Depot cut the plexiglass for me, it was a small sheet to begin with, but it still needed some cutting. The photos really make the edges look at lot sharper than they were and the actual plexiglass thickness was thinner than how it appears in the photo.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online