SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#320495 - 03/30/11 06:21 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Gary, Nice job, you keep on proving you don't need the latest to be the greatest.

Live playing and using every chord as written while singing, is way too difficult, for me, so I cheat whenever I can. Yes I'm lazy, but as Ian stated: "Most importantly, although Gary's chords weren't quite the same as the original, he didn't mess with the melody, and that came off really nice."

I am making a commitment to learn those really difficult chords, like learning a new chord a day...or maybe every other day, or once a week... tired

Bill, I hardly ever use full keyboard, and when I do, I never noticed the bass root. I'll have to give a better listen, so thanks for that tip.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#320496 - 03/30/11 07:24 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Try transposing the Wikafonia version down to "C" and you'll find the difference in chord structure is not as significant. I don't play the song in the original chords because it's way out of my vocal range. Keep in mind that Billy Joel has a relatively high, squeaky sounding voice--I don't want to sound like him.

Like I said earlier, I cannot remember exactly what site I downloaded the song from, and I know it was transposed to "C." I just tried playing and singing the song from the Wikafonia page that Bill posted, and it was WAY OUT of MY vocal range. When I transposed the page to "C" it sounded nearly identical to the one I posted.

I, personally, would like to hear some of the other folks here post their versions of the song in the same manner--while playing and singing, you know, a one-shot deal. Like I've said many, many times on the Zone, I've learned a lot here--stuff like this helps us all learn even more. So, Bill, Diki, UD, etc.., fire up those Zoom recorders and post the results. I, for one, would love to hear your versions of Just The Way You Are.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320499 - 03/30/11 07:39 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: Bill in Dayton]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
[I always use full keyboard and have no problem with the various chordal configurations. It tracks very accurately. [/quote]

So for example if you a D/F# chord, would play a F# in the LH and a D chord in the RH?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#320509 - 03/30/11 10:06 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: montunoman]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman
[I always use full keyboard and have no problem with the various chordal configurations. It tracks very accurately.

So for example if you a D/F# chord, would play a F# in the LH and a D chord in the RH? [/quote]

Exactly...

It allows you to use moving bass lines with the LH, which I find very useful.

#320510 - 03/30/11 10:48 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: Bill in Dayton]
montunoman Offline

yeah, but don't you need to play chords with two hands to do that? That could work if you're singing but if you're doing LH chords and RH melody?

#320517 - 03/30/11 01:47 PM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: montunoman]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
yeah, but don't you need to play chords with two hands to do that? That could work if you're singing but if you're doing LH chords and RH melody?

In short, yes...

Typically, I'll chord with my LH, play an intro with my RH, then while singing, play bass/chord with my LH and chord/fills with my RH.

I switch back and forth through both approaches in most songs...

#320537 - 03/31/11 04:36 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Gary, Nice job, you keep on proving you don't need the latest to be the greatest.

Amen. I must remind myself this constantly as all these great new instruments keep coming out.

#320557 - 03/31/11 09:33 AM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A good exercise when learning new chords is to play them, after you have learned them in root position, in the other inversions, too. So, for a C chord, play CEG first, then play EGC, then GCE. Without the On Bass feature on, they will all sound the same. But with it on, they will all sound subtly different.

This will not only help you when it comes to slash chords and inversions, but with on bass off, it helps stop you from jumping your LH around so much, as a G major to a C major can be played GBD, then GCE... Your hand doesn't move, and only two fingers do, too!

Mind you, I like Donny's approach, too. It doesn't matter how messed up you get the chords - it's not WRONG, it's just 'making it your own'! wink

#320573 - 03/31/11 12:05 PM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: Diki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Diki--I'll give that a try the next time I get some free time. In this instance, though, I accessed the correct chord structure, then used the sites transpose feature to transpose the chord structure to "C", which is my playing comfort zone. So, the progression was essentially identical, just a shift in the chords used--at least that's the way it looked and sounded to me. I've never been good with inversions, but I'm always learning, so maybe one day they're become second nature.

Thanks everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#320578 - 03/31/11 01:38 PM Re: Tyros 2 styles needed [Re: montunoman]
Bill in Dayton Offline

A lot has to do with approach.

To me, I try and stay away from this particular tune, unless its a request. The tune is so iconic, same with the solo, that I feel uncomfortable playing it. The opening riff is such a unique one, that to leave it out and still call it "Just the Way You Are" to me, is like a restaurant selling a Rueben sandwich without the corned beef. The 6th's in the Gm and Bm chords Joel uses colors the tune in a special way and to not play them also really stood out to me.

You leave the opening riff out, you leave the coloring out, etc...pretty soon, its not the same tune anymore. Forgive me Gary, but it sounded like an easy note version.

No offense meant, whatsoever...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online