SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#320838 - 04/04/11 02:36 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: kami]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi Kami,

You can assign many functions to the sustain pedal. Go to global edit mode and click controllers. Here you can choose how to use the pedal.

I can't give you an answer about the guitar staff. I am not familiar with this.

How do you like the PA500 sofar?

#320847 - 04/04/11 04:42 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: FransN]
kami Offline

Hi, Frans, I have not received it yet, probably Friday. I am reading the manual and watching the video tutorial for PA800.

1. Since many had problem with joystick, I was thinking that may be the sustain pedal which looks much more durable, can does the same thing. Is it so?

2. I already have guitar amp and processor, but may be connecting those to PA500 cause some damages to electronic boards. Is it possible?

Since there is a 15 days return policy, with full refund, I am still checking other keyboards, specially synthetizerts. Searching through videos on Youtube, I still think PA500 has better (at least deeper) sound than Yamaha S710/910, and Korg M50.

3. Since I have no background in keyboards, it is strange for me that I can not find demos with equal guitar sound quality on M50. Other than having more styles, can I say arrangers like PA500, also have better predefined sounds, compared to synthetizers? or all sounds on PA500 SHOULD be available on M50 with same quality?

Thanks again.

Edited by kami (04/04/11 04:48 PM)

#320852 - 04/04/11 05:49 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: kami]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Kami,
There is a pair of stereo input jacks that put the connected device through the internal speakers, so the answer is yes. You hook the output from your RP350 into the Korg and you can monitor both together.

#320856 - 04/04/11 06:01 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: kami]
FransN Offline

Hi Kami,

You can assign a funtion for example bend up or down to the sustain pedal but working with the stick is much better. If your stick got broken it doesn't cost much to replace it and if you are lucky it get broken while you still have warranty. And maby you won't have any problem with the joystick.

I don't know if you can use the PA500 with a guitar amp. But if you need distortion effect the PA500 have good ones. The distortion guitars on it are awesome.

Personally I don't like Yamaha arrangers. They sound to plastic to me and get bored very quickly.

The M50 use the same sound engine as the PA500 but maby use different samples. I also listen to some demos of the M50 and yes the guitar sounds on the PA500 sound better.

#320859 - 04/04/11 06:08 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: Uncle Dave]
kami Offline

Uncle Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Since I have no experience with keyboards, I am going to ask a question that is probably dumb.

With electric guitar, I connect the guitar to input port in processor and then the output of processor goes to the input of amp. So it is guitar -> processor -> amp.

With keybaord, should I use the same order but keyboard instead of guitar? Can I still use the keyboard speakers or I should use the amp?

Also keyboard has a specific connection for pedal. If I want to use processor pedal as a sustain pedal, should I use the pedal, input or output connection?

Also I think the guitar processor and amp should have some kind of output signal too, that activates the pickups in guitar. Doesn't this kind of feedback signal, damage the keyboard?

Thanks.

#320860 - 04/04/11 06:12 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: FransN]
kami Offline

Frans,

I agree, Yamaha sounds are not as natural as PA500 in my ears too.

I hope someone with experience with both M50 and PA500 gives us more information, since it looks guitar sounds are not the same on PA500 and M50.

I have ordered extended warranty too (well a cheap one, so I hope it is useful) so I think I can use the pitch bender with ease of mind.

Thanks again.

#320863 - 04/04/11 07:24 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: kami]
FransN Offline

Maby you can ask someone on the Korg forum at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ about the M50. They have a special M50 section.

#320877 - 04/04/11 10:27 PM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: FransN]
kami Offline

Hi Frans,

I posted my question in Korg forum, no response yet, but I think this link confirms that acoustic guitar is not great on M50. Unfortunately no one has compared with PA500. There are suggestions for S900, but not pa500.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/v...asc&start=0

#320948 - 04/06/11 04:37 AM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: kami]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: kami

should I use the same order but keyboard instead of guitar? Can I still use the keyboard speakers or I should use the amp?

**I was under the impression that you did not want to use a guitar amp. The keyboard inputs allow you to amplify an outboard source, but that is your choice. The question is: "Do you want to use your guitar amp, or travel light?"
Also, If I want to use processor pedal as a sustain pedal, should I use the pedal, input or output connection?

**I'm not sure I understand this question, but if you are asking if you can use your guitar processor as a sustain pedal for the keyboard, the answer is no. The jack on your keyboard is for a dedicated momentary on/on type footswitch to trigger internal options in the Korg.
Also I think the guitar processor and amp should have some kind of output signal too, that activates the pickups in guitar. Doesn't this kind of feedback signal, damage the keyboard?

** "Electronics 101" says that you NEVER connect an amplified output to an input, so unless your guitar amp has a "line out" you should not connect it to the keyboards inputs. It sounds to me like you would like to use the functions of this guitar amp - that's great, but i see no reason to connect it to the keyboard inputs. The speakers in the Korg are probably not as powerful as the guitar amp, and are easily overloaded if not careful. The best way to utilize those inputs is when you don't have room for another amp and want to monitor keyboard and guitar through the same speakers.
Hope some of this helps.
UD

#320979 - 04/06/11 10:42 AM Re: Guitar sound S910 - PA500 , build quality PA500 [Re: Uncle Dave]
kami Offline

Uncle Dave,
I will use the keyboard only in my apartment, and since I have read that speakers on PA500 are not great, I was thinking that I can have better sound quality with guitar amp. May be speakers are good enough for home use, and I have also read that guitar amps are not as good as keyboard amps.

Yes, I meant if I can use processor pedal as sustain pedal. So, I can not. It looks the guitar processor can not be of much use with keyboard.

My guitar amp has only input, but I think it is the amp that activates the pickups in guitar, so does this mean the guitar amp has some kind of output signal through the input jack?

So, can I use the guitar amp with keyboard, and if yes, should I use the phones jack on keyboard, or the output one? I think both should be the same.

Thanks.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online